MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cottagecore

Who identifies?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cottagecore (sometimes referred to as Countrycore or Farmcore)[1][2] is an internet aesthetic idealising rural life. Originally based on a rural European life,[3] it was developed throughout the 2010s and was first named cottagecore on Tumblr in 2018.[4] The aesthetic centres on traditional rural clothing, interior design, and crafts such as drawing, baking, and pottery, and is related to similar aesthetic movements such as grandmacore, goblincore, gnomecore and fairycore.

Some sources describe cottagecore as a subculture of Millennials and Generation Z. Economic forces and other challenges facing these young people may be a significant driver of this trend, along with these generations' emphasis on sustainability, and the trend to work from home (initially during the COVID-19 pandemic).

Aesthetic and lifestyle elements

The tenets of cottagecore can help its proponents satisfy a desire for "an aspirational form of nostalgia" as well as an escape from many forms of stress and trauma.[5] The New York Times described it as a reaction to hustle culture and the advent of personal branding.[5] The Guardian called it a "visual and lifestyle movement designed to fetishize the wholesome purity of the outdoors."[6] Cottagecore emphasizes simplicity and the soft peacefulness of the pastoral life as an escape from the dangers of the modern world.[7] It became highly popular on social media during the COVID-19 pandemic.[8][6][9]

Food and gardening

Self-sufficiency, such as baking one's own bread, is integral to cottagecore.
Growing one's own food in one's own garden and baking one's own bread all reflect the philosophy of self-sufficiency of cottagecore, though the aesthetic does not demand living in the countryside.[9][18] Cottagecore gardening is intended to be environmentally friendly, often including permacultural farming practices.[19][20] For example, the cultivation of a variety of perennial and annual native plants (i.e. plants endemic to the areas near one's home) helps attract insects, including bees, and as such promotes biodiversity and increases pollination of food-producing crops.[20]

Other aspects
The aesthetic encourages taking care of oneself physically and mentally.[9] Followers of cottagecore typically purchase secondhand or vintage furniture.[18][21] They may take up hobbies including knitting, crochet, painting, and reading.[22]

These are bits from the Wikipedia article.  Go there if you want more.  I had been hearing about Cottagecore and got curious...now I know.  

• Like 5

I hadn’t heard the term but it is certainly not new.  I have been into cottagecore since I was in my early teens if not before.  Thanks for the info, Ambergris.  

• Like 4

The new aesthetic schemes basically work by taking the original or word and adding -core to the end of it.  They also sometimes pick something specific and add -core.  ie goblincore.  Kids and their newfangled words.  Cottagecore used to be called romantic country style.  It matches the old magazines for it exactly.  I've got some with that style dating back to the 1970s.

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That having being said, I like cottagecore.  I also like more modern approaches as well as Frank Loyd Wright/ William Morris prints.  I'm eclectic.  It annoys my kids to no end and I love that.  Keep them guessing.   I buy what I want. DH is a die hard military molle, nine line fanatic.  It is what is is.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like Frank Loyd’s Wright too and am fortunate enough to live near some of his homes.  Eclectic is good.  I never could annoy my kids though.  They were just as eclectic if not more so.  We had a wonderful time while they were growing up and they are such interesting adults.  

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Mother said:

I hadn’t heard the term but it is certainly not new.  I have been into cottagecore since I was in my early teens if not before.  Thanks for the info, Ambergris.  

What is that country song I was country before country was cool....well like you Mother I was cottagecore before cottagecore was cool. 

• Like 4

It’s kind of fun being a trend before it’s a trend!  :happy0203:

• Like 4