MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Posted (edited)

I have a bumper crop of mulberries this year!  I'll freeze the majority of them for smoothies throughout the year but looking for other recipes to try.  We don't really eat pie.  I'm going to start with this one:

Mulberry Jam Recipe | Hilda's Kitchen Blog (hildaskitchenblog.com)

Recipe review:  It's delicious!  I just took it out of the canner and had  a bit leftover that wouldn't fit anywhere except on a piece of toast and in my belly.  It looks like it's going to set just fine.  I was concerned at the amount of lemon juice (my tree grows big lemons) but the tartness is perfect.  This recipe is definitely a keeper! The jars are pinging as I type.  

Edited by Andrea
add review
  • Like 5

We love mulberries and dumplings.  No actual recipe though.  I bring mulberries to a simmer in a small amount of water and add honey for sweetener instead of sugar. I sometimes add other berries or lemon juice.  I make a sweetened baking powder drop biscuit recipe and drop it by tablespoons full onto the fruit in the simmering liquid.  I cover and let simmer for ten or so minutes, then simmer uncovered for an additional ten minutes to allow to finish cooking and dry a bit.  I use the same recipe with other fruit too.  

I also use a plain baking powder biscuit dough in simmering soups to make dumplings.  

• Like 3

I love mulberries.  They're called moras here, which is close to the Latin name for mulberry, morus, and is the same name for blackberry and for raspberry.

• Like 4

This is my recipe for cobbler:  You can use mulberries, blueberries or blackberries.

Crust: 

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking power

3/4 cup of sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter cut in 1/2-inch pieces

1 large egg, lightly beaten

2-4 tablespoons ice cold water

Topping:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut in 1/2-inch pieces

Berry Filling:

1 cup sugar

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1-pint fresh berries

Heat oven to 350* Spray an 8x8-inch square baking pan with non -stick cooking spray.

To make crust:

Whisk together flour, baking powder and sugar. Cut in butter until butter is the size of peas. Add egg and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir until dough just begins to form a ball. Add additional water if needed. Press into bottom of baking pan and along sides halfway up the pan. Set aside. 

To make topping:

Whisk flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in Butter until mixture begins to form large crumbs. Set aside.

To make filling:

Combine sugar and flour in a large bowl. Stir in fresh berries until berries are coated. Taste and add additional sugar if desired. Pour filling into crust. Sprinkle on the topping. 

Bake at 350* for 1-1/2 hours or until topping is lightly browned and fruit is bubbly. Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.  Serve with vanilla or peach ice cream. 

I had another one that was easier than this one, but I think one of the kids got that recipe. Or it could still be packed in something else in the mess I have around here. But I have used this one many times and it is really good. 

Homemade ice cream it the best on top of it. But I don't make ice cream any longer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I do cobbler, I like to make it half oatmeal, half flower.  Better for digestion.   The above recipe sounds really good though.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, two more batches of jam in the pantry.  Now I'm just picking, washing, freezing flat on a cookie sheet, and storing in gallon size freezer bags.  I'll use those for smoothies and the lovely cobbler recipe that Littlesister posted! Going to wait til we have guests.  We tend to avoid dessert except on special occasions. 

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Our neighbor has a tree that hangs over our fence and provides an abundance of berries...as well as our small tree on our east side that sheds a generous amount also. I haven't taken advantage of either since I have my hands full with Elderberries, and we just don't eat much jelly's or jams.

• Like 1

I have been thinking about putting in a fence using chicken wire and planting some berries to climb up the fence. I want it for privacy as well as for a food source.  Can't put in a privacy fence right now. And I am looking for ways to get some type of fruit planted in the yard. Trees are too big for the area and would shade the gardens too much. So, I have the raised beds figured out and where they will go but still issues with fruit trees. I also need to figure out rather I want that plastic or wood type privacy fencing. I prefer one that doesn't require a lot of Maintenace. I would love to get a mulberry bush going as well as some other ones. I do have 2 blueberry bushes. One needs to be planted now and the other one is getting big so will transplant that one after the blueberries are done. Need to get this done while GS is still here. He is getting much more determined to get into Coast Guard.