MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Want to say 'hey' & thanks!

LibraryMama

Hi! :bouquet:

I've been here a few days & have learned so much already! I've assessed where we are & while we're nowhere near where I want us to be, we're off to a good start. I'm so thankful that y'all are here & that I can learn from your previous discussions. I hope I'll have something to add to them someday! :-)

I prepped some for Bird flu a few years ago so have some of that stuff already in place, including the beginnings of a good survival library (Foxfire 1-7, Carla Emery's book, etc.) and we've started working our 2 acres with an eye towards self-sufficiency (fruit trees, heirloom seeds, etc.). But I've been very lax about food storage, keeping my gas tank over 1/2 full & such. So it's great to refresh my memory about all these things I've been taking for granted. At someone's suggestion, I just watched 'After Armageddon' on YouTube & was relieved to know I was a little more prepared than the poor woman on that show, but in some areas not by much!

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a librarian & live with my husband & 14 yo daughter on a very small farm outside a small town in NC. Our 19 yo son lives close by & is much better prepared than we are (he can start fires without matches & is training to be a blacksmith). We also have a son in Oakland, California (which worries me!) and a daughter in college about 1 1/2 hours from us.

I'll probably be pretty quiet now, but at least I won't feel like I'm just lurking!

Thanks for letting me join in!

:wave: Welcome to the group LibraryMama. Now that you have taken the first step posting, keep it up! Don't be too quite or we won't know if your here. Ask any questions you have, someone will have the answer for you.

:bighug2:

:wormie2:

John

Welcome LibraryMama. As a former lurker myself I can tell you it is much more fun to jump in with both feet and post...helpful hints, questions, answers, you name it. That is what all of us are all about. We get help from each other, inform each other and get answers from each other. Glad to have you as one of the family. :gathering:

So sorry for the duplicate post! I got a white screen error message when I hit post the first time & thought it hadn't gone through!

Not a problem.... most of us just let them go until I hunt them down and destroy them!! :darth duck:

WELCOME!!! Looks like you're finding your way around, but if there's something we can help you find, just ask. We have lots and lots of *buried treasures* from years ago, and we can pull them up for you.

:bighug2:

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a librarian & live with my husband & 14 yo daughter on a very small farm outside a small town in NC.

I am a newbe here too, but wanted to give a special welcome to a fellow librarian.

I work at Amana University, and I get to work with our book restoration students a lot.

And if you are looking for more material, such as other Foxfires, blacksmith works, etc, pay us a visit. http://www.librum.us

Sarah

Wow, Sarah! What a collection y'all have there! I'm going to open a few things from my work computer, since my laptop's starting to slow down a bit.

I work at a small public library, just part-time. I do teen & adult programming, collection development and general circulation, which at our library, includes reference work. I love it! I recently (at ALA) won $300 worth of books from Chelsea Green Publishers & had the best time picking out books - they have a wonderful selection.

My younger son & I attended a Mennonite church for a while before we moved out here & felt very much at home there.

Thanks for the welcome, Sarah! And welcome to you, too!

LibraryMoma, Thank you!

You have me a bit envious. A >PUBLIC< library. (sigh)

I am listed as 'senior research librarian', as I was appointed as assistant to a very senior elder, who held a doctorate in Library Science (and six other doctorates!). But he has passed on, so today I am a 'butzer'. I suspect you know the meaning of that word, as you have been around some of our peoples. My husband, my second, is one of our main instructors, he is a Bookbinder, with Master's papers. (So they can not get rid of me!)

My main duty is the 'Vot' desk (think of an information desk in a collegiate student union), plus the school store, supplies acquisition and control (especially of restoration materials, like vellum, special thread, specialized inks, etc), class materials prep, temporary student housing, etc. Our school is small, we only have one class at a time, of about a dozen students (and their families) at a time. But it can get hectic. And yes, I love it.

Take some thumbdrives to work. Some of the works you will be 'checking out' at the Librum are HUGE. And be aware of the demo editions 'check out' period.

Any questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Sarah

We're a small library with a small budget. We get many of our books through Amazon as used. It's amazing how much you can save and still many are new books. Have you tried it LibraryMama? Even if the book is a tad "used" we don't mind. It's just nice to have the bigger selection that we couldn't afford at new prices.

Archived