MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pizza help

I love making pizza from scratch, or even from a box mix. The problem is that no matter what I do I end up with pizza that is burned on the top, and not quite done cooking on the bottom. Does any one have any suggestions on how to make it so it doesn't do that. This is the recipe that I use:

1pkg yeast

1 cup warm water

a couple of squirts of honey

sit for a few minutes to let the yeast awaken

enough flour to make a dough with a shake of some salt (I don't measure)

I knead it it a little bit (Just for a minute or two)

oil to coat

Let rise for about 20 minute or longer

Spread it onto a greased baking sheet then put sauce and cheese on top.

I have tried baking it at different temperatures, and at different lengths, but every time the cheese it burned and the dough on the bottom in the middle is still slightly raw.

DO you cook on a pizza stone? If so, then make sure your stone is preheated. This makes it a bit tricky to spread the dough, but it makes it cook through.

Pizza actually is something that craves to be cooked quickly at a very high temperature. What temperature are you using? Are you cooking it in an electric or gas oven...in the middle rack or the bottom rack?

If the top is too brown, then try cooking your pizza on the bottom rack. Use a high temp. You can't duplicate the 900 degrees of a brick oven, but you can use temps 425 or higher for your pizza. I don't think the problem is due to the dough you are using. I think it's more concerning the temperature, if you use a stone or metal pan, and what rack you cook it on.

How do I know this? LOL I am known as "The Pizza Lady" at our local nursing home. When I went there to make pizza for the activities group, I was confronted with a commercial oven totally unlike anything I had ever cooked on. The master chef there kindly explained to me all of the above, then had me cook our pizza at 500 degrees in the convection oven. I had used my pizza stones for some and his trays for a large pizza. They cooked like a flash in under 8 minutes. He allowed as how 900 degrees would be better...LOL

If the crust works for you and you like it, that's great.

JCK88 is correct about the temperatures, too. But I don't go over 425 degrees F, myself.

What I do differently is this...

I make my crust and let it rest as the oven heats up. Then I grease the pan and shape my crust for the pizza. I bake it for the required minutes (see recipe below) *without* toppings, then bring it out and add the toppings. Then bake the rest of the time.

It bakes the crust evenly without the wet toppings, and the crust is always baked the rest of the way while the toppings warm.

My recipe: (the kids love the garlic/oregano in it! :P )

QUICK AND EASY PIZZA DOUGH

2 1/2 - 3 c flour

1 pkg dry yeast (about 1 Tbsp)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)

1 tsp crumbled oregano (or to taste)

1 c warm water

2 Tbsp oil

Combine 1 1/2 c flour and rest of dry ingredients in bowl; stir in water & oil, beat at low speed of mixer for 1 1/2 minutes, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Stir in as much remaining flour as you can with a wooden spoon. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6-8 min. total).

(THIN CRUST)

Preheat oven to 425º F. Cover dough & let rest 10 minutes. Shape to fit greased pizza pans. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Bring out of oven, spread pizza sauce over top, top with desired ingredients, ending with cheese & a sprinkling of oregano. Return to oven; bake about 15 minutes more.

(THICK CRUST)

Place dough in a greased bowl, turn once to coat well. Cover dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hr). Punch down, divide in half (to fit 2 9” pizza pans). Cover; let rest 10 min. With greased fingers, pat dough into pans, forming edges. Cover; let rise until nearly doubled (30-45 min). Bake in a preheated 375º F oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned. Bring out of oven, spread pizza sauce over top, top with desired ingredients, ending with cheese & a sprinkling of oregano. Return to oven; bake about 20 minutes more. Let stand 5 min before serving.

**NOTE: You don't HAVE to end your pizza toppings with oregano... but as it warms in the oven, it releases the most wonderfully fragrant aroma that makes the whole family follow their noses straight to the kitchen!!! :D

It is probably your pan. I got two of those pizza pans with the perforated holes. Just love them. I have a convection oven, so it bakes really well.

You need a better pan for pizza that a cookie sheet or a solid metal pan.

I have not used the stone, but hear it is also wonderful.

Same as Violet and Cat. I have two pizza pans with the holes on the bottom plus I partially pre-bake my pizza crust. I use 100% whole wheat flour so I only bake the dough for 7 - 8 minutes (more time and the crust edges would be too brown and hard), put on toppings and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.

I have a baking stone. For lo-carb crust, I do 1/2 recipe. I have the pizza rolled out, then heat up the stone, remove the stone, add the crust and QUICKLY add the toppings. I have everything pre-cut & portioned so this works.

The higher the temp, the better.

I also found that for us, we liked a little more sauce and less cheese.

I layer:

Sauce, meat, veggies, pineapples, then cheese

I also sprinkle the stone with some cornmeal for crispiness.

YUM!!!

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

See, you learn something new every day. :)

I had not thought about baking the crust first, so next time we have it, I'll try that. We don't make much pizza any more, it is easier for the two of us to just go to Pizza Hut. :)

HUGS37.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

That is just about the same recipe that I use here and it comes out ok. So that makes me think it is an oven temp problem. Easily solved by doing what Cat suggested. Have to remember that too since we don't have all those fancy stones and cookware and such.

Q

I make my pizza on the bottom shelf of the oven and before removing I check the bottom crust and when it is light brown I take it out. I was making my pizza dogh with my mixer but I found the dough for sale at Walmart for .88 and this makes a 16" pizza so it is really worth it for us to just use that. I freeze a few doughs for the month and just take out to thaw when I am planning pizza.

RenieB

Archived