MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I don't know what has gotten into me...

Guest Guest

But I've just felt the need to make some changes around here to meet the current and immediate needs that we're facing.

Schoolmarm and westie were going back and forth about stocking stuffers to give to those that are not preparing and SOMEHOW this idea came up.

I feel a pressing need to try to compile some sort of manual, or series of manuals that we can share with others that might be interested...for the most part we are women who place a high priority on preparations for our families, and there will be very quickly many other women who will be just starting out, that will be fear driven to try to prepare for theirs.

I'm not sure how this will all work, or end up organizing, but it's a start. A labor or love from all of us at MrsSurvival, in the hopes that what we have gleaned over time, might be passed on, helping others in the days to come.

I'm thinking that maybe, to start off, we can think of a few subjects that could/should be in the first volume...perhaps a crash course on preparing for the short term...something to meet an emergency, or a last minute scenario...I dunno, I'm just throwing thoughts around...I know that there are tons of sites from FEMA, etc that talk about these types of things, but what I'm envisioning is more than that...more than a list of: buy 2 gal water, 1 flashlight, 19 batteries, 3 ziplock bags, etc...while details like that are good and necessary, there's so much more that goes into preparing...

Once we decide on the categories we'll address initially, then I'll figure out a way to copy and/or move threads that are already in the site with the valuable information that's already been shared...from there we can build something that could possibly be put into a PDF type format that can be printed and shared with those that would be interested.

This post is in reality, a written account of my thoughts in putting together a new idea...lol..it may not all sound logical or sane (westie's west of sane, I'm east...lol) but I think the idea bears merit, so help me out here...there are those out there that need help, whether they realize it now or not.

Yanno Lois, you have a good point...one that I haven't addressed with my own children...I just assume that I am the "be all"/"where all"/"do all" kinda mom and that I can remain in control of things at all times.

The fact is, I need to get my children organized so that they know what to do if THIS happens or if THAT happens...

This is important.

I suggest we kind of shelter this forum until we have it sorted out better.

Can we just kind of brainstorm as to what we feel is *NEEDED*?

Like Lois' *excellent* idea about a kids' info sheet.

"Emergency box" gifts and a booklet on how to use them. (What would you give a neighbor? A family member?)

Bug Out Bag (BOB) content lists.

Storage recipes.

How to cook when the power's out.

What to do if all you have is "regular" pans (instead of cast iron).

Ways to create/conserve heat in the home if the power's out.

Potty threads.

We seriously need to get our children more aware of the

possibility of something happening. Since they are in the

minset of playing, school, friends, phone, etc. I'm just

brainstorming here, but maybe we should have two manuals.

One for adults and one for children. The one for children

should be more of a fill in the blank for parents to fill

in.

Brainstorming here.

For first aid, this is were the.......

When the power goes out the flashlights are..........

so on and so on...

What's your opinion?

My crazy idea. How 'bout a picture of an elderly white haired

lady pushing a grocery cart by almost empty shelves of food,

maybe 1 or 2 items on shelf, and the words ARE YOU PREPARED?

as caption on the booklet?

Darlene, it's a great idea and apparently, the ball is already rolling if you consider the great thoughts already posited in this thread!

I've been exploring ideas myself on how to start a local group of women interested in canning, etc. Prior to Y2K we lived in another state and I was very blessed having many other women around to share ideas with and also, to actually coordinate projects with. I've yearned for that experience again and the only way I know to make it happen is to form a group.

My thought is that such a group would greatly benefit from what is offered here on this board. I am tremendously impressed at the character and intelligence of the women here and I must say this place is a real answer to prayer for me.

Darlene, you are really coming up with great ideas. This forum will be very helpful for many people.

I so agree with what you have all said. Lois is so right, the children need to know what to do and how to handle different things that could happen.

Just last week we talked about fire safety here as they had been talking about it in school. They needed to know what to do if there was a fire here.

One thing I have been ruminating on for a while is the idea if there was a disaster NOW, and I wasn't prepared, what do I have in my house that I could use differently to help us survive? I don't have a lot of ideas on that yet, but I was thinking particularily about electronics, if electricity was permanently gone. There is always the idea from the movie Castaway to use video tapes for rope/string. The ironic thing is that I actually have that movie on VHS.

Now, with this new thread and booklet idea, I think such a list would be handy for a non-prepper to have. Any other ideas for reusing common household stuff?

~Jo

Quote:
One thing I have been ruminating on for a while is the idea if there was a disaster NOW, and I wasn't prepared, what do I have in my house that I could use differently to help us survive? I don't have a lot of ideas on that yet, but I was thinking particularily about electronics, if electricity was permanently gone. There is always the idea from the movie Castaway to use video tapes for rope/string. The ironic thing is that I actually have that movie on VHS.

Start with a foreword are you prepared for......

Then move to the 72 hour kit for your BOB

then maybe a word about creating a menu of a week or 2 of meals and what you need to prepare them.

and then expand on that to how will you cook it.

how will you light your home.

What are your first aid plans

what will your children do and how should you prepare them.....

What about pets? I know lots of people have cats and dogs and those MIGHT not be so hard to bring or let free, but

I know if we had to leave the house, we wouldn't be able to take 12 birds with us, and I'd probably let them free outside )

What about making your own salves, ointments, oils for things? I hate buying things with ingredients I can't pronounce. And with your own, you know how strong it is.

Quote:
what will your children do and how should you prepare them.....

Lois, did you see my *brainstorming* idea?
What do you think about the fill in the blank idea?

Last night I quized my kids at dinner. Where are the
flashlights? They did not know. I asked what if there
was a really big storm and the power was out and you
needed to get up, what would you do? My oldest said go
back to bed.

The fill in the blanks idea is about the only thing that will work, children of different ages would have different answers and different assignments. Also we all will explain it differently.

The idea behind it is too set some guides that need to be addressed with our children. If I am sick this is what you should do

If I have the flu.....

If there is a tornado warning.....

If there is an ice storm and I can't get home to you...

If I get hurt by falling debri....

When my kids were still at home, we did the what if scenarios on a regular basis. Not just for disasters either. What if someone is lurking in the backyard, breaks in, etc.? We did this long after they were grown. If your kids are younger, make sure you reasure them that everything will be ok and that they just need to know what to do in the unlikely event that _______________ happens. Kind of like fire drills at school.

How about a chapter on defense of yourself and your property? How far are you willing to go to defend it? Also, how to avoid attention from outsiders, for instance, when you have lights and no one else does, cover the windows... also what if you're cooking outside and the smell draws a group of people to you who have no food and you only have enough for your family?

How about a chapter on killing and cleaning animals for food... whether you hunt or raise your own, that might be necessary to know at some point... just a couple of ideas.

**Cat puts her hands over her eyes and backs away from the computer screen...**

*SIGH*

I've had a headache all week, and strange dreams.

Archived