½ pound celery stalks

1 cup sweet onions

2 hot red peppers

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon mustard seed

2 teaspoons salt

1½ teaspoons dill seed

Vinegar to cover

Grind radishes, celery and onion coarsely. Seed peppers and dice. Combine all ingredients in a kettle or pan and let stand 3 hours with vinegar to cover. Bring to boil. Cook 10 minutes. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal. Makes 2 pints.

Guest Guest

Buttercup,

Not yet but intend to. The problem is I have quite a few recipes I am trying and haven't gotten to these yet.

here is another...

Radish pickles

1 tablespoon Mustard seeds

1 tablespoon Fennel seeds

1 ½ teaspoon Celery seeds

1 tablespoon Kosher salt

1 ½ cup Red wine vinegar

1 ¼ cup Water

1 ½ lb Radishes; trimmed, washed, and halved

Put everything except radishes in a saucepan and bring to boil, stir frequently.

Put radishes in jars. Pour vinegar mixture over radishes to cover completely, leaving 1/2" headspace in each jar. Makes Six half pints. Water bath for 10 minutes.

Guest Guest

Pickled Radish

red or white radishes, peeled and chopped

2 cups white vinegar

2 cloves

10 black peppercorns

2 tablespoons brown sugar

a slice of fresh ginger

3 cloves garlic

Bring all ingredients except radishes to the boil. Place radishes in jars and pour hot vinegar over radishes with ½ inch head space. Process.

Guest Guest

To pickle radishes use you favorite pickle recipe and follow standard water bath canning procedures.

or for easy pickles...

You can cut off ends of radish and drop in favorite pickle juice. Keep refrigerated.

Guest Guest

Red Radish Relish

4 cups red radishes, trimmed to remove tips and stems

3 large stalks celery

2 medium-sized red onions

2 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons dill seed

1 teaspoon celery seed

1 cup cider vinegar

2 tablespoons ground horseradish

1. Put the radishes, celery and onion through the coarse blade of the food chopper.

2. Mix the vegetables with the other ingredients and let stand 3 hours.

3. In a large pot bring the mixture to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.

4. Turn immediately into hot, sterilized jars. Seal. Process 20 minutes. (Makes 2 pints)

Guest Guest

Radish

Environmental Preferences

LIGHT: tolerates partial shade

SOIL: well drained, well worked, deep, and free of rocks

pH: 6.0 to 8.0

TEMPERATURE: cool (60 to 65°F)

MOISTURE: moist, but not waterlogged

Culture

PLANTING: sow seeds early to mid-spring for spring harvest and late to mid-summer for fall harvest; winter radishes usually grown as fall crop from seed sown in mid-summer

SPACING: spring - 1 x 12 inches; winter - 4 x 12 inches

HARDINESS: hardy annual or biennial

FERTILIZER NEEDS: broadcast 2 pounds of 10-10-10 per 100 square feet, work 4 to 6 inches into the soil before planting

Cultural Practices

Two types of radishes are grown by home gardeners, annual radishes and winter or storage radishes. The type seen in grocery stores is an annual that grows only in cool weather and matures in 25 to 35 days. Successive plants can be made every 10 to 14 days from the time soil can be worked in the spring until early summer, then again in late summer for fall harvest. During hot weather, plants produce seed stalks and roots develop a hot flavor.

Seeds are often started with carrots, parsnips, or beets to mark the rows of these slower growing plants or between slow-maturing vegetables, such as cabbage, pepper, and tomato. Overcrowding causes poor root development, and slow development results in hot or woody roots. Therefore, good water and nutrient supply are needed to encourage quick growth for good quality. Overfertilization, however, can cause excessive top growth and poor root development.

Winter or storage radishes are biennials that are planted in mid-summer for fall or winter harvest. They are slow growing, requiring 45 to 70 days to maturity. They are often planted in the space in which early corn or onions were planted. Varieties range from mild to very hot and produce roots up to 50 pounds.

Common Problems

DISEASES: club root

INSECTS: cabbage root maggot, aphids, flea beetles

Harvesting and Storage

DAYS TO MATURITY: spring radishes - 25 to 35 days; winter radishes - 45 to 70 days

HARVEST: Spring harvest as soon as radishes are edible size - about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter. Winter harvest depends on variety which may be up to 2 feet long and 50 pounds. Winter radishes should be harvested and stored like other root crops.

APPROXIMATE YIELD: 1 to 4 pounds (per 10-foot row)

AMOUNT TO RAISE PER PERSON: 3 pounds

STORAGE: spring radishes - cool (32°F), moist (95% RH) conditions, three to four weeks; winter radishes - cool (32°F), moist (95% RH) conditions, two to four months

PRESERVATION: pickle

Guest Guest

Radish Information

A radish is the root of a plant related closely to mustard, another surprisingly healthful plant. It’s generally used as a garnish or salad ingredient because of its mild-to-peppery flavor and unique red-and-white coloration, but it’s much more than just a garnish.

This plant comes in several varieties, though the most common in North America is the oval, red-skinned version. Look for the ones with unblemished and bright-colored skin, a firm and compact texture, and short, bright green leaves. You might also look for daikon, an oriental version that looks like a cross between a white carrot and a turnip. Regular radishes can be found in most grocery stores, while daikon is primarily sold in Oriental specialty markets. To store, break the leaves off, put the roots in a plastic bag, and keep refrigerated no more than a week. When you’re serving them, you can soak radish in ice water for an hour or two for extra crispness; or you can braise thin-sliced daikon in a bit of sesame oil and serve hot for an Oriental treat.

Ordinary radishes are a great source of vitamin C and are rich in minerals like sulphur, iron, and iodine. Daikon is even better, a source of vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and folate as well as sulphur, iron, and iodine.

Radishes can be added to vegetable juice to spice up the flavor a little. In this form, they can help clear your sinus cavities and soothe your sore throat. The vitamin C in radishes is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, and has been shown to have a positive effect on asthma symptoms because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Potassium can help lower your risk of kidney stones and strokes, and radishes along a diet high in other fruits and vegetables can significantly lower your risk of multiple sclerosis.

Besides, the earthy-spicy flavor of radish, unlike any other vegetable, can bring out unexpected flavors in your meals. With no drawbacks, what’s not to like?

http://www.healthrecipes.com/radishes.htm

Guest Guest

my computer crashed again, it will be afew days before I can get all of my files transfered over, reformat my hard drive and be back up and running. I am using my husbands computer.

Quote:
my computer crashed again, it will be afew days before I can get all of my files transfered over, reformat my hard drive and be back up and running. I am using my husbands computer.

and mean while we are sitting here radish hurgry waiting for the recipe.
Guest Guest

I did a search since my computer is down..

RADISH PODS.

Gather sprigs or bunches of radish pods while they are young and tender, but let the pods remain on the sprigs; it not being the custom to pick them off. Put them into strong salt and water, and let them stand two days. Then drain and wipe them and put them into a clean stone jar. Boil an equal quantity of vinegar and water. Pour it over the radish pods while hot, and cover them closely to keep in the steam. Repeat this frequently through the day till they are very green. Then pour off the vinegar and water, and boil for five minutes some very strong vinegar, with a little bit of alum, and pour it over them. Put them into a stone jar, (and having added some whole mace, whole pepper, a little tumeric and a little sweet oil,) cork it closely, and tie over it a leather or oil-cloth.

Pickled pleasures

Radishes make great pickles, and you can prepare them overnight. Start with 2 cups of sliced or chunked firm radishes. Put them in a mixing bowl and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt over them. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. Drain accumulated liquid and rinse to remove the salt. Pat dry with paper towels and return to bowl. Add 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, a dash or two of ground black pepper and a couple drops of sesame seed oil. Refrigerate at least 8 hours and enjoy.

Radish Pods can also be stir fried. There is a radish grown only for its pod called a "Rattail Radish"

Rat Tail Radish

45-50 days Not a root-producing variety, it is inelegantly named for its slender, 4" to 12" long, edible seedpods. Rat Tail produces loads of pods, which are hot, spicy and pungent: the dark purple pods are spicier yet! Harvest pencil-thin while young and tender. An attention-grabbing garnish, the Rat Tail radish can be used raw, cooked or pickled. http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/

--Radish Edible-Podded Rat's Tail. VRAD-RT. Packet: $3.00

Raphanus caudatus. Grown for the slim, deep-purple seedpods, which reach 8 - 16" long. Pods produced abundantly. Likes heat and bears all summer. From Southeast Asia, the pods have a very pungent radish flavor, eaten raw, pickled or cooked. A popular garden vegetable in the U.S. in the 1860s, now rarely seen. No edible roots, only grown for pods.

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.com/VegetablesO-Z.htm

• 1 month later...

This is the only post that I can help 'fix'. Westie posted some wonderful radish recipes, I copied them and e-mailed them to my mom. So I just copied them from my sent folder.

RADISH RELISH

1 pound radishes

½ pound celery stalks

1 cup sweet onions

2 hot red peppers

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons salt

1½ teaspoons dill seed

Vinegar to cover

Grind radishes, celery and onion coarsely. Seed peppers and dice. Combine all ingredients in a kettle or pan and let stand 3 hours with vinegar to cover. Bring to boil. Cook 10 minutes. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal. Makes 2 pints.

Radish pickles

1 tablespoon Mustard seeds

1 tablespoon Fennel seeds

1 ½ teaspoon Celery seeds

1 tablespoon Kosher salt

1 ½ cup Red wine vinegar

1 ¼ cup Water

1 ½ lb Radishes; trimmed, washed, and halved

Put everything except radishes in a saucepan and bring to boil, stir frequently.

Put radishes in jars. Pour vinegar mixture over radishes to cover completely, leaving 1/2" headspace in each jar. Makes Six half pints. Water bath for 10 minutes.

Pickled Radish

red or white radishes, peeled and chopped

2 cups white vinegar

2 cloves

10 black peppercorns

2 tablespoons brown sugar

a slice of fresh ginger

3 cloves garlic

Bring all ingredients except radishes to the boil. Place radishes in jars and pour hot vinegar over radishes with ½ inch head space. Process.

Red Radish Relish

4 cups red radishes, trimmed to remove tips and stems

3 large stalks celery

2 medium-sized red onions

2 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons dill seed

1 teaspoon celery seed

1 cup cider vinegar

2 tablespoons ground horseradish

1. Put the radishes, celery and onion through the coarse blade of the food chopper.

2. Mix the vegetables with the other ingredients and let stand 3 hours.

3. In a large pot bring the mixture to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.

4. Turn immediately into hot, sterilized jars. Seal. Process 20 minutes. (Makes 2 pints)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1973 edition of "Putting Food By", and it says that WINTER radishes can be overwintered, handled like beets. For beets it says "do not wash, leave tails and 1/2 inch of tops intact. Pack in bins, boxes or crates between layers of moist sand, peat or moss; or line containers with a large plastic bag that has 1/4 inch breating holes cut in about 12 places. Ideal temperature 32 degrees, relative humidity 90-95 %, slight air circulation, time 2 to 4 months". Hope this helps.

Dora

• 8 months later...

bump

And, boy, am I glad the old posts are back. I must've miss the post Westie put in about the radish pods. That must have been when we were busy moving. And to think that Mom would never know what to do with radish pods (if she'd let them grow long enough to get some). rotfl

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried a radish pickle recipe for Manling #3 last week--he liked the sauce better than the radishes! Go figure.

So I canned up some half-pint pickles for him this morning, so he can dribble the juice over burgers and stuff.

Archived