MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what i canned this week

pa & ma steel

Good work!!! So far this week, I've done one batch of salsa and I'm still working on my first batch of applesauce. Things are slowing down here except for the apples which will go on for days. Don't cha love it!!!

That is absolutely awesome ma!

I got about 8 1/2pts of peach butter, 6 quarts and 15 pints of marinara, and 12 pints of cuban chicken soup canned this week.

My focus lately has been on bread making and recipes using my whole grains I grind into flour so I'll hafta balance the 2 out.

I have 6 pints of blackeyed peas in the canner, and about 10 pounds of green beans that I have to finish snapping Hope to get them processed tonight.

I got 11 quarts and 11 pints of applesauce made this weekend. The quarts are unsugared for us, the pints are sugared for the grown kids and their families. I will also give a couple of pints to the lady who gave me the jars.

I hope to really get busy this week and get bunches more made for all us of and then be finished.

Quote:
"eggplant-tomato pasta sauce" ok how do you make that.. Please.

My personal experience has been that eggplant doesn't can too well in pasta sauces...it's too fragile and turns to mush...not only that, but I wasn't crazy about the flavor of the sauce after it had sat in the cupboard a little bit.

Maybe try a jar or 2 and see what you think about it.

This week has been a blur, I am getting sick of being in the kitchen if ya know what I mean. This week I canned 5 1/2 qts of stewed tomtoes 10 qts of cabbage soup, 12 pts of tomato relish (Last week I made 3 batches of different corn relish so we have enough reish for a long long time)for a friend 24 pts of corn (I added a tsp of salt too instead of 1/2 tsp)

Hubby said they were mushy but had a good flavor. So next time I will run some thru the juicer for the syrup and then try canning with picking lime. So all hold off on canning cantaloupe until I get it to come out not mushy. LOL will try again and let you know how it works. That is the 1 good thing about being able to do small batches. Experimental time.

Archived