MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Easy Canned Whole Grape Juice

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
Originally Posted By: ArmyOfFive4God
Oh I have a 1 pound bag of cranberries in the freezer. Can I use those since they have been frozen? MMMmmmmm.... Homemade cranberry juice..... MMMmmmm...... Someone tell me! LOL

Anyone?

OK lets take a chance at this one for you - seeing nobody has and you want to try?

So if you DON"T make juice what do you plan to do with them?
If nothing then let try it? I mean if they are just sitting there what have you got to lose ? shrug
So here we go . . . .
I would let them come back to room temputure first and then just can them the way we did the grapes. Add some sugar to sweeten them a bit (you can aways add more when you open the jars if need be?). Then can them up - wait a bit (or holiday time) and try them. If all goes well you will have the best juice around and if they fail we will all know for next time.

Good Luck and keep us posted on the outcome. wink

Michael2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm such a nincumpoop! I don't use my Ball book NEAR enough and found instructions for cranberry juice. So as I type, it's straining through a cloth napkin. I told Hubba if this works, I'll be stocking up this winter when they go on end of season sale (I got a 1 pound bag for 99¢. I was looking for instructions on blackberry jam. I also found so many other things that I can water bath can that I'm going to work on as well. Hope this stuff turns out!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to pressure can this grape juice? It sounds really yummy, and grapes are on sale right now. My only problem is that I can't water bath anything bigger than pints right now. My pressure canner isn't tall enough to water bath quarts, and I don't have a rack that will fit into any of my stockpots that ARE tall enough!! I know I can get a rack, but I'll have to order it online, as I can hardly find canning items in stores around here, and I don't want to wait (note the word *SALE*)!!! Anyway- thanks!!

*Yes, you can pressure can *ANYTHING* you can safely can. It's just not REQUIRED for some foods.

*If you don't have racks to keep the jars off the bottom of a pan for water bath, use extra canning rings set closely together, or a grid of flat stainless steel knives, or any other kind of metal-only, relatively flat surface. I know one person who used a hand towel folded flat to fit. The point is to allow hot water under the jars.

If you have any more questions, just ask!!! bouquet

Ok- I did 5 quarts of white grape juice, and they all sealed. But with one jar, the grapes didn't float to the top. Does anyone know why that would happen? They were from the exact same batch of grapes, I did everything exactly the same, and they were all processed together.

**serious face** bigeyes.gif

Daisies, my dear... Those are what are most commonly referred to as "The Grapes Of Wrath"! str.gif

DON'T...

I repeat DON'T...

neglect to

use them up just like the others!!! wink.gif

Sometimes giving them a shake will make them settle down, but it really doesn't matter. Sometimes other fruits will do that, and it's just what happens.

See, that wasn't so bad, was it??? tdo9.gif

I'm 99.9% sure I did everything exactly the same. I guess we'll find out when we crack 'em open!! LOL I'm prone to forgetfulness and distraction, so there's always that chance that I missed a step, but I really don't think so. As long as I'm not going to poison anyone, I'm fine with the sinkers!! Hahaha!!!

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Necie
Oooooh, Pixie-ya could try blueberries the same way, I suppose. Maybe it would be as good or BETTER than that blueberry juice you love so much.

I LOVE this idea, and I was looking for just such a recipe!! I bough grapes to make jelly with too.
  • 11 months later...
Originally Posted By: Robert Z
I have to say, I am not so taken by this recipe. The juice tastes nothing like grapes at all, more like honey or molasses. I did the full hour.

Sorry to hear this.................
Something in the water maybe? maybe the grapes were over ripe? or something else as it always turns out OK for us and others that have made it.
Originally Posted By: Cat
I find the flavor doesn't get good until it's "steeped" for at least a month.

Did you try it right away?

shrug

yes, I did try it right away. I will have to leave the rest of it be for a while.

I was afraid my water might taint the flavor so I bought a few gallon jugs of distilled water and used it.

The grapes where not over ripe, they where just right, they popped and crunched when I ate them before I canned.

Archived