MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Easy Canned Whole Grape Juice

Wash & drain grapes.

Place whole grapes in quart jar filling 1/3 of jar (approx. 1 cup of grapes for quarts)

Add 1/4 cup sugar (if you like it sweeter you may add up to 1 cup of sugar but we only do 1/4 cup)

Fill w/ hot water leaving 1 inch headspace (grapes will float to the top) (some types of grapes float when you add the water and some float as they are canned)

Water bath can for 15min to seal or up to 1hr to make darker grape juice- we do it for the hour.

When you open juice pour through strainer and discard the grapes. (Juice is ready 24hrs after canning or great for winter storage)

Hint: When you get the grapes it doesn't matter how many as you will fill the jars 1/3 full which ever size jar you are using. It really doesn't take many grapes to get many jars! When you get to the sugar part it all depends on how sweet the grapes are or how sweet you like it.

somegrapjuice.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Amish relatives, with their bigger families, double the amount of grapes, add the higher amount of sugar, and use the hour processing.

Then they don't use it for at least a month, to give it time to "mellow".

The juice is stronger, and so they add water to taste. That way, you get "more juice" for the canning work.

Oooooh, Pixie-ya could try blueberries the same way, I suppose. Maybe it would be as good or BETTER than that blueberry juice you love so much.

Well, DH has a lawn care business and one elderly lady gave him all the grapes in her little arbor. Before 6:30 I canned 12 quarts. I have two turkey fryers and they hold the large canners. I put 1 cup grapes and 1/2 cup sugar. Also did 6 qts of blackberry juice. I mashed the blackberries and used 1 cup in each jar with a large slice of lemon and 1/2 cup sugar. Looks good. Thanks for the recipe.

• 4 weeks later...

Amishway Homesteaders, I went to Safeway on Friday, and they had red grapes 10 pounds for $10. Around here, that’s a great price. I remembered your recipe (kinda) and purchased just under 2 pounds. I figured that was a good amount to try.

Today (Sunday), I canned 3 quarts and 1 pint of the juice. I can’t wait to try it, but you wrote that I need to wait 24 hours. So I’ll wait.

I processed it for the 1 hour time because I want the darker color of juice. The color is wonderful.

Cat, you wrote that your Amish relatives “add the higher amount of sugar”. Do you mean the 1 cup that Amishway Homesteaders talked about or some other amount? I like the idea of getting “more juice for the canning work”.

YYY

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd let you know that I do mine the same way, have for years though I double the grapes, add NO sugar and process only about a half hour then let set about three months. Best in the world. Good recipe AH.

I have a question, could you do lemoms the same way? Maybe put 1 cut in half and then fill with water, with say 1/4 C. of sugar, you could always add more. Be a easy way to make lemonaide in the summer. What do you think? Could it be done?

• 3 months later...

Hi I just did grape juice for the first time. I was just wondering is it a bad thing if the grapes don't float after being processed?

Also I was wondering can you do cherries the same way?

No, the grapes don't have to float or NOT float, just be safely in there. wink

As far as I know, cherries should be fine, too. But I'd can them "full-up", so I could eat the cherries. (I don't eat the grapes, just use the juice.)

And I'm gonna have to look up the lemon juice one... I hadn't seen that post before. shrug

If you're going to try lemon or orange, you might want to peel it first - that white pith is bitter.

Then tell us what it was like. Yum icon-drink1.gif

I made a bunch back in November. We drank most of it, but I have 2 jars left. Both still have good seals. I'm just so new at this making stuff yourself I'm a little paranoid about poisoning my family.

Stacy

I wouldn't be afraid to try it 3 years old. But I get a bit squeamish after that.

I try to use it up & do more.

bighug

Archived