MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whole chicken!

hummmmmmmmmm cook it?!?!?! darlene2

Chicken quesadillas

chicken and dumplings

chicken and rice

chicken burritos

chicken and white bean chili

my hubby's answer for everything...rub it with garlic butter and throw it on the grill

cook in the crock pot and divide it up for meals later.

Do you have a roasting pan? or even a cake pan works. You could always butch it into pieces.. breast, thighs, legs, back, wings.. then you could bake it. I do mine with some season salt when I bake it.. you could also boil the meat off for soups or stews.

I debone the whole thing and there are more options like the ones mt3b mentioned. Fajitas and the like.

When you're done use the bones to make broth for gravies, soups, etc! Lots of nutrition in those...

Okay since you don't have crock pot or a grill then boil the thing. Put it in a pot and boil it until it falls a part. Not only will you have meat for many different dishes you will have broth also. All of which can be divided and refroze for later meals

One of my favorites is roast chicken.

Thaw in the fridge. Rinse under cool water.

Place in a roasting pan or cake pan. Stuff some onion, celery, carrots, garlic in the cavity.

Sprinkle with salt & pepper and roast in the oven at 350 for a couple hours. (Length of time depends on weight of bird).

wheeevr we have a whole chicken to do I first parboil it (30 minutes) and then we could BBQ it or fry it or use in a dish like chicken and rice. But save that water to make soup !

I just strain it and put in freg for a bit to get the fat out, Then just put back on stove and start chucking stuff into it. Carrots,corn,onions, rice or homemade noodles whatever is handy. save some of the meat to add back in and you'll have a good soup.

well now I am hungry again laugh

AmishMichael2.jpg

a whole chicken.. you can bake it, microwave it (them BBQ it), soup it, stew it.. which is like souping.

bake it and shred it, tacos, burittos, enchaladas, pot pies!

If I just put it in a pot and boil it, I'm assuming I should defrost it in the fridge first. Can I unwrap the plastic around it, rinse it in the since, then just put it in the pot I'm going to cook it in to sit in the fridge until it's defrosted so I can add water and put the pot on the stove?

Should I add salt to the water when I boil it?

You can do it frozen; it just takes longer.

*I* like a good, rich stock, so I add veggies and stuff, kind of like the recipe below... whatever I like or have on hand. I usually don't add salt at the beginning, because when I use it later, I adjust the seasonings *then*.

You really don't want to keep the cooked veggies in the stock. They aren't very appetizing after all the cooking. That's why they say to strain it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chicken Stock Recipe

courtesy Alton Brown

Show: Good Eats

Episode: True Brew IV: Take Stock

4 pounds chicken carcasses, including necks and backs

1 large onion, quartered

4 carrots, peeled and cut in 1/2

4 ribs celery, cut in 1/2

1 leek, white part only, cut in 1/2 lengthwise

10 sprigs fresh thyme

10 sprigs fresh parsley with stems

2 bay leaves

8 to 10 peppercorns

2 whole cloves garlic, peeled

2 gallons cold water

Place chicken, vegetables, and herbs and spices in 12-quart stockpot. Set opened steamer basket directly on ingredients in pot and pour over water. Cook on high heat until you begin to see bubbles break through the surface of the liquid. Turn heat down to medium low so that stock maintains low, gentle simmer. Skim the scum from the stock with a spoon or fine mesh strainer every 10 to 15 minutes for the first hour of cooking and twice each hour for the next 2 hours. Add hot water as needed to keep bones and vegetables submerged. Simmer uncovered for 6 to 8 hours.

Strain stock through a fine mesh strainer into another large stockpot or heatproof container discarding the solids. Cool immediately in large cooler of ice or a sink full of ice water to below 40 degrees. Place in refrigerator overnight. Remove solidified fat from surface of liquid and store in container with lid in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days or in freezer for up to 3 months. Prior to use, bring to boil for 2 minutes. Use as a base for soups and sauces.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_23730,00.html

~~~~~~~~~~~

Basic Chicken Stock / Broth

Make it the old fashioned way! Simmering whole chicken, vegetables, and herbs make a stock used as a base for soups and many other recipes.

Recipe Created By: Robbie

Prep. Time: 7:00

Yield: 2-3 quarts

4-5 lb. stewing chicken - quartered

3 ribs celery with leaves - coarsely chopped

2 lrg. onions - un-peeled, quartered

2 med. carrots - un-peeled, quartered

1/4 lightly packed cup whole fresh parsley OR 2 Tbls. dried parsley

1/4 lightly packed cup whole fresh thyme OR 2 Tbls. dried thyme

1 Tbls. salt

5 whole peppercorns OR 1 tsp. ground pepper

1 - 3 clove garlic - un-peeled, halved

2 bay leaves

-Place ingredients in a large pot and fill pot with enough water to cover all.

-Bring contents of pot to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 6-8 hours.

-Remove chicken from pot, cut off meat and reserve for later use.

-Strain remaining contents of pot through a cheesecloth-lined sieve; discard solid matter; return stock to pot.

-(This step optional) For a stronger, more concentrated stock, simmer over medium heat until stock has reduced and taste is to your liking.

-(This step optional) Refrigerate stock until fat has solidified; peel fat off the top.

Notes: Will keep in the refrigerator for 2 - 3 days. I pour into sealable plastic bags in 1/2 or 1 cup sizes and freeze for use in recipes later.

http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/B/543.htm

I like Alton Brown, I'll probably follow his recipe with a few alterations - no leeks and dried herbs instead of fresh. Hmmm...think throwing a few tablespoons of poultry seasoning in would get the same effect?

Quote:
I like Alton Brown, I'll probably follow his recipe with a few alterations - no leeks and dried herbs instead of fresh. Hmmm...think throwing a few tablespoons of poultry seasoning in would get the same effect?

Noooo.gif

Please see Michael's alterations to Darlene's recipe:

Chicken recipe thread

DarleneSwoon

350 oven, sheet of tin foil, defrosted, rinsed whole chicken...little bit of Mrs. Dashes seasoning, fold foil up around chicken, close tightly. Bake one hour. Fold back foil to brown the skin. Eat. Throw foil away. Dishes are done. If your chicken is over 1 1/2 lbs. add another 25 to 30 mins. No RAW chicken, ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! banana

grind up the meat and use it with a little liguid smoke, Worcestershire sauce or A-1 or steak sauce. this will add a heavier flavor to the chicken which is light in flavor. This goes for turkey meat also.

Make patties and grill up! you will need to add a bit of olive oil, lard, crisco to the meat because the meat is so lean.

salt and pepper or your favorite ground meat spices... heart healthy!

p.s. you can do this to rabbit too.

Originally Posted By: Skagitgal
350 oven, sheet of tin foil, defrosted, rinsed whole chicken...little bit of Mrs. Dashes seasoning, fold foil up around chicken, close tightly. Bake one hour. Fold back foil to brown the skin. Eat. Throw foil away. Dishes are done. If your chicken is over 1 1/2 lbs. add another 25 to 30 mins. No RAW chicken, ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! banana

..'cept for I've realized my biggest pot is not big enough. It will barely hold the chicken to thaw it out in the fridge. Apparently I will likely be using this method, but instead of Mrs. Dash's (I don't buy pre-made seasoning, but I have lots of spices!), what would y'all recommend?

Cat - I'm not altering all THAT much, it would've been fine.

bounce

Archived