MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

You Might Be A Survivalist If...

Leah

If your lawn remains weedy, because you view dandelion, violet, plantain, white clover and wild strawberries as emergency rations or medicine. If you tell your neighbors it's to provide a better ecosystem for crickets and keep dangerous chemicals out of the environment to keep them off your case. laugh If you have transplanted violets or wild strawberries.

If you have ever toyed with the thought of making an expedient greenhouse from your children's play set and visqueen. Double points if you already have the visqueen and appropriate fasteners.

If you know three or more ways to make an expedient cook stove out of things you'd find in a dumpster.

If you get excited when you hear the words "Rocket Stove".

Originally Posted By: Prudy
If you have ever toyed with the thought of making an expedient greenhouse from your children's play set and visqueen. Double points if you already have the visqueen and appropriate fasteners.

Oh my gosh!! That's a wonderful idea!! In fact, it had never occured to me. Hang on, gotta go look out the window at the swing set...

Oh yeah!

*HS heads off to the hardware store*
Quote:
Oh my gosh!! That's a wonderful idea!! In fact, it had never occured to me. Hang on, gotta go look out the window at the swing set...

Oh yeah!

*HS heads off to the hardware store*

roflroflrofl

**Show of hands**... How many are making a checklist from these????

goodone

Right here!!cookie's hand shoots up! Guilty!

*ahem*

If you've down loaded so much prep information from the internet it requires it's own 3 ring binder.

If you have enough said binders to stock a bookshelf.

If you've *renamed* said binders to keep nosey folks out.

If your binders have *levels* like the NORAD security colors (We're at ORANGE!!!).

read

If the word "expedient" is in your everyday vocabulary, even for non-prep conversations such as: "What's for dinner?" "I made an expedient potpie with some canned venison with leftover vegetables, and a crust made from last nights leftover baked potatoes (mashed) topped with chopped wild garlic". Double points if your kids use the word "expedient" as well. "Mom, Jimmy took one of the sponges I was using for an expedient doll bed, make him give it back!".

If you can't leave the dollar store without another pack of 50 sewing needles.

Double points if you have tested the kiddie glow bracelet multi-packs they sell at the Dollar Store and discovered they are only good for 3-6m after purchase... but still have a stash in the house and vehicle anyway for rotation. Triple points if you can think of 10 ways to use them besides handing them out to children to play with, and temporary trail or caravan marking is one of them.

If you would LOVE to own a live-trap. (or own several).

If you have an "if then" list for when the power goes out to determine if this might be "it" or not.

If you have tried evaporative cooling with pottery/terra cotta bowls.

If you have salt designated for dehumidifier use if the power goes out in summer. Actually, if you even know that this one means... you're bound to be one.

If it pains you to get rid of an old fridge, if you've tried to talk your significant other into turning it into either smoker or root cellar before giving in and letting big trash day or scrappers take it. After all, there will be lots of them available "after".

If you own the book.. "Where there is no Doctor" (or "No Dentist" etc.).

If you have printouts of emergency childbirth instructions in your Franklin Planner.. "just in case".

rofl These are too funny! I have some more:

-If you desperately try to come up with an excuse to keep a pile of old dry rotting tires that dh wants to toss... one that won't get that LOOK!

-If you can't have more kids but still keep a full supply of baby products and emergency birth kits with instructions just in case.

-You have a 3 stage barrier around your property

-You've stored polypropelene bags to make emergency shelter or a bunker

-You can name more than 10 places to hide money or preps like inside a furniture leg, inside the toilet paper holder, etc.

-If the UPS man visits more than once a week

-If you have more money hide at home than you have in the bank

-You have what you need for more than 3 ways to wash laundry

-You've decide where to move or not to move based on how close it is to FEMA camps, possible nuke sites, etc.

-If you go to more than 2 grocery stores in one trip so the cashier doesn't get suspicious

-If the flea market workers know you by name and call you when they get a "grain mill, washboard, meat grinder, fill in the blank"

-You've printed plans for more than 3 types of solar cookers

-If you're family complains about the kudzu taking over the yard and you can name more than 3 ways to use it

-If you analyze everything dh lists for a possible Christmas gift as "oh yeah I can get him that, thats a prep" "nah he's gotta find something else not worth the money when we need a ...."

Okay now I need to fill in some blanks on this long checklist.

Oh another:

-You might be a survivalist if you spend all day planning, stocking or organizing you preps, go to sleep dreaming about getting ready, and wake up with yet another prep idea. .... ahem hsmom!

Quote:
If you would LOVE to own a live-trap. (or own several).

I have two. One for rats & squirrels. The other was supposed to be for a raccoon, but caught a (nasty) oppossum.

FYI, the rat/squirrel trap is currently set. Any critters caught will be named "Bubbles" and deposited -still in the trap- in the large trash can out back (that happens to be full of water).

Quote:
If you've measured all the windows in your house for blackout curtains.
What if you already have plywood cut for each window? grin

Quote:
-You might be a survivalist if you spend all day planning, stocking or organizing you preps, go to sleep dreaming about getting ready, and wake up with yet another prep idea. .... ahem hsmom!

blush

Oh my... you might be a survivalist if: You catch your 3 yr old playing with her toy backpack going down a checklist - "paper, light, water, water, water, Okay!"

Oops! Might better think again about stocking and planning BOBs in front of the little ones! That just cracked me up. I didn't think I was that bad. laughkick

You have food in your pantry for people you rarely speak to.. including things you know they like to eat but you do not.

You like estate sales because the elderly tend to have canning jars/kerosene lanterns/hand tools/wool blankets/sturdy utensils etc.

OH WHAT A WONDERFUL IDEA!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT AND WE ALWAYS HAVE ESTATE SALES HERE IN THE LANCASTER PA AREA, WHAT A GREAT LESSON YOU JUST TAUGHT ME!!

• 3 weeks later...

If you started out on these post for the humor and ended up creating a new list of ideas and things to buy/try crazy

Raise your hand if your guilty! thanks

If melted candles/candle wax would never make it to a trashcan (so many other uses!!!). Add points for Birthday candles saved.

If you exercise by walking in case of TEOTWAWKI

Add bonus points if you use the *exercise* to spot possible medicinal plants, edible critters, good field of fire and/or any other useful item.

Double bonus if you smile and wave at the neighbors in a I'm-just-harmlessly-working-my-gluts way.

If you've dempsty dumpster dived (Oh hi Officer, I thought I'd recycle for the environment!)

I'd like to state for the record that I DO NOT have saved birthday candles and have NOT made a list of things to do/buy/try from this thread. *michelle eats the list and tries to remember the last time she actually bought birthday candles for the cake* busted