MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

You Might Be A Survivalist If...

Leah

WWWHHHHHAAAAAAAAA I AM SOOOOOO NOT ONE OF YOU YET!!!!!!!

But I am planning on selling my diamond rings to get $ to get Food Storage and BOB supplies - hope that's a good start!??

You know you might be a prepper/survivalist if you:

Overhear you daughter instructing her brother on the best method of removing spines from an edible cholla (cactus) bud.

Send the kids out to collect lamb's quarter, purslane and mallow 'cheesits' for the dinner salad. And can be 100% confident they will pick from the right plants.

Be in the midst of shopping and have your DD whisper to you, "I think we should buy more honey so we'll have enough when there isn't any food in the stores."

Buy enough steel bar to secure every vulnerable window in the house. But be ready to tell the DH, if he finds the bar, that it's just for securing chicken wire plant cages or for staking trees.

Have one of the checkers at the hardware store, where you buy your canning jars, ask if you want to sign up for a special customer card because, "You are in here a lot."

Beg your DH for a Lehman's stove top oven for your Christmas, anniversary, birthday present, and then hope no one at his work asks, "So, what did you get your wife for Christmas?"

Quote:
WWWHHHHHAAAAAAAAA I AM SOOOOOO NOT ONE OF YOU YET!!!!!!!

But I am planning on selling my diamond rings to get $ to get Food Storage and BOB supplies - hope that's a good start!??

Dianne... the minute you first said "hi" on these forums, you were "one of us". grouphug2

Remember, this thread is in the "Humor Me" forum... it's a wink-and-a-grin post about preparations from a (mostly) woman's viewpoint.

Ummm...

'course, it just *might* hit a little close to home... whistling

I really do believe what Westie says... "preparedness is empowerment", and I expressed it as I *feel* it here: http://www.mrssurvival.com/about.html

"...the dream of a confidence born of knowing she is ABLE. Able to provide healthy food for her family, able to create clothing or warmth or beauty from basic materials, able to not only survive, but thrive in the face of adversity.

When the storms of life come, she rests in the knowledge that she has done her best in preparing for them. By her forethought, her family will not fear the dark or go hungry. Even when the unexpected happens for which nothing could have been prepared, she stands in the knowledge that others are there to uplift, to pray, to help..."

However you figure out how to do it, preparing for your family's well-being is loving them in the finest, best possible way...

bighug

Chefddr I too received my mothers jewelry after she passed on last year. Most of it I will keep to pass down through my son and if my neices are good adults they may receive some of it eventually, but there is one big ring that is really good gold and quite heavy in amount, probably an ounce or so, with a worn out fire opal in it, and the setting is rather strong triangular shaped leaves sticking out. It was a beautiful ring at one time,

I remember when my dad got it for her. But if I can get a decent amount I would sell it for preps, I need basic stuff and more food, and this could be a good choice for me. I think my dad even said I could sell it if I needed to. Of course there is a lot i just flat wont sell but pass down. I do wear a ring or two and a medallion with a lovely celtic like setting with four small diamonds... because it is very special to me and suits me.... although its rustic enough and I think most believe me when I say its costume jewelry so I get away with it around these days, mostly its under my shirt anyway.

I need to do some research and also get some things appraised as I am not sure about some gold bracelets, if they are quality or not, but knowing my dad and mom, they all are! She was a real lady.

But that particular ring could help me out alot and knowing I can really use what I got with it would be ok with her. It is not that comfortable to wear because it is so heavy and the tips of the triangular leaves even press into my stout finger and the opal is needing replacement, or more rock polishing to be re-used. I might have enough for a canner and lots of canning supplies and a good dehydrator or a hunting rifle if I did so.

The majority of things are very nice stuff and I will pass them on later. ( there is one ring thats a favorite of mine, its a beautiful setting, casted, and a lovely blue zircon in a round cut with fantastic facets within). It may be a better stone than a zircon but I need to find that out too when I get things appraised.

She used to work with really beautiful antique jewelry, and we also had a very nice quality antique clock shop and my dad was a master repairman with those for many years, so she really knew jewelry well. ( One of my dads many careers). I worked with them in my teens with that business. I became pretty good with refinishing wooden parts of antique clocks and tables and such small furniture.

But that one ring and maybe a bracelet or two would transfer into some really useful stuff for me. So I will do research pretty soon, get the stuff appraised on a trip to the city next month I think, sort of, ballpark figures anyway, and probably some good advice.

you are pleased to find that 5lbs of flour in its store bag fits nicely in a gallon ziplock bag. This will help in stacking and you won't have to write what kind of flour and what the expiration date is on the bag. Its a little extra insurance against breakage too. Who wants to clean up flour?

So, there the bag is all ready to go in the freezer for a few days when you find yourself wishing you had a vacuum sealer to get the nasty Oxygen out of the bag....then you realize, you can do it yourself...and that sucking the air out of a ziplock baggie is just not a story to tell ANYONE except MrsS friends.

rofl

So, You might be a Survivalist if sucking out the excess air you couldn't smoosh out with your hands from a baggie seems a rather clever thing to do.

grin

You might be a survivalist if...

---You're dd calls you completely out of breath because she just found 50 5 gallon buckets at the donut store that they want to sell for $10.

---You always ask for a living plant instead of flowers ie. an apple tree for Valentines day

---Family members call you on a regular basis to get the latest information on the Bilderburg group

---The only door in your home that locks is the Pantry

---You plan an entirely ediable landscape

---you have ever looked at your house on google earth to see if you need to plant more trees to hide the house from google earth

shrug I'm not sure but I think there are people out there who do these things. whistling

• 1 month later...

Guilty!!!! laughkick

You've used Google Earth to find alternative water sources in your area...just in case.

Your house would light up like Fort Knox if an intruder walked on your property. I.E. Motion detectors, guard dogs, etc. Clicking of weapons.

Hey!! I'm bumping this up for the new people!! I know you newbies can relate to some of these! bounce

Originally Posted By: Homemaker
You really would rather have your husband get you a load of manure dumped in your yard than jewelry for your anniversary!

Or a load of concrete blocks to make a new raised bed...

Or a grain mill...

Or a greenhouse...

Or a dehydrator...

Or some goats...

Or... ahem. Sorry.

Honey, I hope you're reading this!
Originally Posted By: babysteps
Originally Posted By: Homemaker
You really would rather have your husband get you a load of manure dumped in your yard than jewelry for your anniversary!

Or a load of concrete blocks to make a new raised bed...

Or a grain mill...

Or a greenhouse...

Or a dehydrator...

Or some goats...

Or... ahem. Sorry.

Honey, I hope you're reading this!

laughkick

I love that!

*Ahem*

You have a lighter in your purse and you don't smoke.

(Showing my age)
You'd win the $100 from Monty Hall on Let's Make A Deal because of all the gear you carry in your purse/day bag.

If you could weed whack a meal

If you've ever tried to figure out a way to put a gun rack on something other than a truck. I.E.-A motorcycle, Bicycle, ATV, Wheel Barrow, etc.,etc.

If you've coveted a rider lawnmower or tractor the way a teenager does a race car.

If you can work a discussion on goats, chickens, or gardening into a holiday dinner table conversation.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm loving these!! And relating to a whole lot of them! Also taking some notes!!

I've got one:

Your kids actually hope for a power outage to get to the "good stuff"

Kimba

You know, Cookie - You really need to expand on this one.

That you have 20 uses for newspaper besides just reading them.

20? Explain, please. :)

Edited by Leah
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Leah

*- You have a 'Volcano', you know you can cook anything, and you cast evil glances at your neighbor's annoying, yappy poodle, muttering "your day will come, hotdog" under your breath.

Hey, does anyone have one of these? I've been wondering if these are worth the money.

Stacy

:lol: LOL!!! Except we have 3 behind us and 2 to the east and sad to say those words have come out of my mouth. My 2 year will go to the window and tell them to be quiet because her baby brother is sleeping.

• 1 month later...

As a stand-in scoutmaster, you taught your son's troop to set mantraps and punji pits, and haven't been asked to stand in since.

i plan to do something more sheeple but similar in my dd girl scout troop when she's older.

You have food in your pantry for people you rarely speak to.. including things you know they like to eat but you do not.

i already have plans for a certain neighbor whose one child is the same age as mine.

Edited by ROSARYCHAPLET
When you get caught going through someone elses trash.. not for ID theft.. but for extra compost materials?

i do this to immediate neighbors!!! ha ha!!! but i do it to bring down my carbon footprint, and monetary expense. however i have never taken anything from their trash.

• 1 year later...