1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup raisins

2 cups rolled oats

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

Mix together flour, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, baking soda, and

salt. Set aside.

Layer ingredients in the following order into a 1 quart, wide mouth canning jar: Flour mixture, raisins, rolled oats, brown sugar, and white sugar. It will be a tight fit, make sure you firmly pack down each layer before adding the next layer.

Decorate jar and attach a tag with the following instructions:

Oatmeal Raisin Spice Cookies

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

2. Empty jar of cookie mix into large mixing bowl. Use your hands to thoroughly mix.

3. Mix in 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened. Stir in one slightly beaten egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Mix until completely blended. You will need to finish mixing with your hands. Shape into balls the size of walnuts. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheets 2 inches apart.

4. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes in preheated oven, or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to wire racks to finish cooling.

I hate to be a broken record, but...

PLEASE, be sure the recipient likes this sort of thing!

I found out by accident that someone I gave these to hated this sort of thing, and tossed them in the garbage whenever she received one. A 'no-cook-anything' person is a 'don't-give-this-to-her' person...

Here's an unusual mix in a jar for doggy treats. It is done in pints. And even nicer it uses some common food storage items.

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup powdered milk

1'2 cup soy bicaon bits

1 teaspoon sea salt (other salt works fine)

1/8 cup sugar

1 Tablespoon beef bouillon granules or powder

The recipe to include with the jar is:

Mix entire contents of jar with 1/4 cup water and 1 egg in a bowl. Turnout onto a board.

Knead into dough. Roll out and cut out shapes. Bake for 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven, then turn down oven to 200 degrees. Leave biscuits to dry slowly in oven until bone hard.

This gift is nice with the jar decorated in a doggy theme and perhaps a dog-bone shaped cooky cutter attached with a ribbon.

Leah, you're right about gifting people with jar presents....some people are afraid of home-canned items and toss them out on principle. Tactful inquiries ahead of time about their thoughts on home canned items or mixes in a jar are best done ahead of time! In my experience, people who cook from scratch anyway love these jars mixes because the major stuff is measured out already and they just have to add a couple things.

GOODMORNINGSNOWMANSETTINGDOWN.gif

I've only seen the cookie mix in a jar in quart jars. But, you could do like Jewlzm said, try to cut it in half. smile

Here is a Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.

Jar Ingredients:

2 cups flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

3/4 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

* chocolate chips

Filling the Jar:

Layer the ingredients in a quart size canning jar in the order listed. I used a small funnel and it worked pretty good for most of the ingredients! Use enough chocolate chips so the jar is full to the top. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips. Pack down all indredients, especially the brown sugar!

Put one of these printable recipe/gift tags on the jar:

-----

HUGS2-1.jpgHAVEAGOODDAY-2.gif

GOODMORNINGSNOWMANSETTINGDOWN.gif

Me again. smile

Deluxe Candy Cookies

Cookies in a Jar Project

Jar Ingredients:

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

* Candy Pieces

Filling the Jar:

Layer the ingredients in a quart size canning jar in the order listed. I used a small funnel and it worked pretty good for most of the ingredients! For the candy pieces, I have used chocolate chunk and toffee pieces, chocolate covered raisins, and chopped up candy bar pieces. Use enough candy pieces so the jar is full to the top. Pack down all indredients, especially the brown sugar!

Put one of these printable recipe/gift tags on the jar.

You can find the recipe and tags at:

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/giftsinaj...blckjardcc1.htm

and then go get a tag you like, you have a choice under the recipe. smile

HAVEAGOODDAY-2.gif

GOODMORNINGSANTAREADINGLIST.jpg

It has been brought to my attention that I didn't get all the instructions down for the Chocolate Chip cookies. frown Sorry about that.

Here is the site to go to, then go to one of the tags, and you will get the rest of the information. frown

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/giftsinaj...blckjarcch1.htm

After seeing the recipe, drop down just a short way and you will see it says, "Put one of these printable recipe/gift tags on the jar:", when you click on them they will have the information you need.

Again, I am really sorry about that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, HappyCamper45. smile

HAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gifCHRISTMASHUGS1.gif

Thank you so much Snowmom....It was fun and if I can do it anyone can do it.

Yeah!!

I'm giving the Jars to my neices and Newphew. I asked my sister before I made the Jars and she said they would love that and she promises to make the cookies with them.

Thanks You

Archived