MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Are these jars good?

OldMaineBear

Most of the commercial jars produced today aren't suitable for canning.

You'd have to try on a canning lid and ring and see if it screws on tightly... which is the usual problem. They make the threads differently for commercial lids, and they don't fit the screw bands (rings).

If by some chance they do fit, it could be worth a try, but try something cheap at first, in case they break! wink

The older mayonnaise jars can be useable IF you're comfortable with that.

Not just the rings being a problem.

Dont put anything in them that can be pressure canned. Most commercial jars are not thick enough to withstand the pressure is what my grandma has said (and she has been doing this for 50 years) If your going to try it.. Id start with BWB

Yeah, I agree with jewlzm...the mayo jars are a much thinner glass and aren't made to withstand the pressure for the amounts of time that is needed to effectively process some of the foods.

I guess WB would be fine for them, but I'd be hesitant to do pressure canning.

These aren't the mayonnaise type jars at all. They are thick glass and marked MASON on them. They have graduated measuring marks in English and Metric also.

Next time you shop check out the Classico brand of sauce and you can actually see the jars also.

I've used them to store dry goods like tea bags, spices, coffee beans and such in using the Ball brand white plastic lids. Now we are interested in starting canning this year and I have dozens of these jars.

I've attached two photos.

849-EJar1.jpg

851-EJar2.jpg

What Bear said!

Those jars re used for a number of things- Classico sauce, mincemeat (but I can't remember the name) and I believe there is also a salad dressing that come in mason jars. AS LONG as it says mason on it, it CAN be reused for canning. Of course, you'll still need to check for the cracks, chips, etc.

I have a few of those jars but I cant get the rings to fit proper on them. I not sure if the threads are made differently than yours so I guess you could try the rings on your jars.

I would probably only use them for WB canning still though.

Originally Posted By: jewlzm
I have a few of those jars but I cant get the rings to fit proper on them. I not sure if the threads are made differently than yours so I guess you could try the rings on your jars.

I would probably only use them for WB canning still though.

eek You got jipped man! rofl

If you get the rings to fit on them they should be fine to can in. I have some that I have used in wb and pressure canning. So far, so good. But that is up to you for the pressure canning. The ones I have are thick glass and hold up well. There is one kind of spaghetti sauce they make that comes in jars that you can't reuse because the rings wont fit them like Cat said. I peeked at the pics you posted and they look okay to me, but hey, I'm just one voice among many! grin

Q

Originally Posted By: OldMaineBear
Thank You all.

That's his way of politely saying:
Quote:
You've been no hope whatsoever; I got twelve replies and twenty-five opinions! rollingeyes

Love you OMB!! Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

Ok, I'll say it once again.

I regularly go dumpster-diving ito the weekly refuse and recycling boxes for industrial (store) jars, as well as asking everyone I know to save me the jars they get from food and jam bought at the store.

I also buy new industrial jars from a wholesaler, along with new lids. I choose the lids with the optional safety button, so they 'ping' when sealed...although I have used plain ones.

I find this to be ten times cheaper than the speacial canning jars available. I have never had a store jar break, but I have lost the special canning ones to breakage. Seals have not been a problem, and I use new lids each time.

I would suggest to anyone to visit your nearest wholesale packaging distributor, and see for yourself. Mine is a bit far away, and we've found that they deliver for much less than it costs to drive there.

http://www.ebouteilles.fr/category/10/alimentaire.html

I get the 'alimentaire' ones, with the twist-off lids. The lids are Chinese made ones.

Thank You again for all 25 opinions.

I value every one.

I really do.

I'll frame some of the better ones.

Keep the rest in a album of memories.

Thank You all.

I wanna know if you're gonna be using my advice.

Susie

Interesting information. I shall ponder all the information shared and keep gathering jars. Bears don't jump right away, we ponder.

Interesting site links. All kinds of jars and bottles available out there.

Boggles the mind.

Darlene

*BOW* *THUMP* *OUCH! HIT MY FOREHEAD*

Susie

Interesting information. I shall ponder all the information shared and keep gathering jars. Bears don't jump right away, we ponder.

Interesting site links. All kinds of jars and bottles available out there.

Boggles the mind.

Darlene

*BOW* *THUMP* *OUCH! HIT MY FOREHEAD*

That's nothing...when I step into the bottle wholesaler's showroo, it's like an Aladin's cave of bottles. Shelves and shelves of every bottle ever made in the whole history of the world, all shapes and sizes and colours...with lids and bands and glass covers to match.

It's too much for me to deal with...each bottle I see gives me another idea for another thing...so I just get the plain old vanilla standard, and get out of there as fast as I can. Even the old-fashioned jars, the ones with the thin rubber rings and metal clamps, are still available.

One day, when I am rich, and have disposable income...

Archived