MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Let's talk grinders

I've been doing enough searching to know that I should get the Country Living Grain Mill. It is supposed to be a fantastic mill and built so that I'll be able to hand it down to my grand kids, but I just can't afford the $350 or so right now. But I know I'll most likely end up with this one eventually.

So I'm thinking of getting one of the cheaper mills. I know it wouldn't be as good as the Country Living mill, but it would allow us to make use of the grains right now and give us a chance to save for that Country Living mill. I figure that it would also give us a back up mill in case of problems with the Country Living mill.

So, can anyone recommend a decent grinder under $100. Or should we just keep buying the grains and save for the mill. My concern is that if something happened, we wouldn't be able to easily use the grains. We also would have to keep buying flour and the grains for storage.

A corona might work for you. I wouldn't spend any more for a hand mill unless getting a really good one like the country living. You will have to sift the flour and put the bigger stuff back thru the mill with the corona, but it is doable. I use a Wonder Mill, but it is electric. I have a backup hand mill that I could hook to a bike if I needed to, but I've had the Wonder Mill for a long time and it still works fine.

Watch ebay, sometimes you can get a good deal. Garage sales and estate sales, particularly farms that are being auctioned are good places to look.

Lehman's Best Own mill is a fine mill and does a good job on 1-pass wheat. Have not ground corn in mine yet, but should do fine. I got it off ebay for under 100 shipped and then scored a set of steel burrs for grinding oily/spicy things in a later auction. Mill came with the stone burrs.

It's not a Diamante/Country Living mill, but it is IMHO the best of the less expensive alternatives.

Originally Posted By: BiscuitMaker
FM--I bought a cheap one at EE it sells I think for $69, I can't remember the brand it is my back-up for my electric. It really does a good job on wheat.

That's one that I was thinking about. I don't see myself doing oily items yet. Is it a single pass to get flour?

Originally Posted By: Vic303
Lehman's Best Own mill is a fine mill and does a good job on 1-pass wheat. Have not ground corn in mine yet, but should do fine. I got it off ebay for under 100 shipped and then scored a set of steel burrs for grinding oily/spicy things in a later auction. Mill came with the stone burrs.

It's not a Diamante/Country Living mill, but it is IMHO the best of the less expensive alternatives.

I'll head on over to Lehman's to take a look.
  • 1 month later...

thanks ladies... I have a Whisper Mill *want* LOL the Nutrimill, but will not likely get that. We want to buy a hand crank mill soon and I am debating Family Grain Mill vs Country Living... obviously with $$ tight $120 sounds better than $350... but it needs to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok..I just a couple days ago got my Lehman's best mill. The instruction booklet says you need to discard the first pound or so you grind with the stones because it will contain grit. It sure did contain grit! SO my question is, does this mean pounds of grain you put in the hopper or pounds of flour that comes out..and how long does it take for the stones to "find their groove" and stop leaving grit?

Also..anyone who has this mill....can you grind the flour with the steel? Will it work well although it is not as fine as the stones?

I am not grinding wheat right now--I am grinding (or attempting to grind) barley and oats. (I'm allergic to wheat. I even bought an extra set of stones and burrs to use just for the wheat grinding so as to avoid cross contamination as those seemed more difficult to clean than the auger and mill)

So if anyone can help, I'd deeply appreciate it. I am totally new to grain grinding. Although I have a feeling by the end of today I might answer my own silly questions!!! but in the meantime HELP!!!

Oh my, I'm so nervous. I just placed an order at Lehman's for the Roller Mill and Our Best Grain Mill. I've looked and looked and finally took the plunge. You ladies gave me the nerve...thank you...I think. smile

I even ordered the catalog since it was free with my order. That just might be a big mistake. rofl

Dee,

After the first gritty bunch of flour you have to discard, you'll be fine:)

I am thinking of getting the roller also. Tell me about yours when you get it. I don't know anyone who has it and wondered if it is easy to do and worth the money. I have to eat oatmeal a lot to help with cholesterol so maybe it would be a good investment for us.

My husband is delighted with our grain mill. I have a spot in the kitchen where I can keep it installed so after I wash and dry it, I just set it back up. That way if we want some flour in a hurry, I am able to grind it immediately. Let me tell you, you'll find it tastes so much better. I am still mainly grinding oats, barkley and buckwheat right now as I am allergic to wheat. But we did grind some wheat with a separate set of stones and make a whole wheat loaf for hubby. (He is like a little kid and wants to do the grinding...so I let him! LOL)

I tried finding information on making rolled oats but I really couldn't find much. I don't know if this thing will work or not but since I was ordering and spending so much anyway, I decided what's some more AND if SHTF I'll be glad we have it.

We used to grow oats and I know we could/would again if necessary. We eat alot of oatmeal so......

I'll let you know as soon as I give it a try.

Archived