MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Slug Fritters

mich@el

I thought this might get lost under the vermiculture thread where I first posted it.

OK this is no joke.........slugs, snails etc come from the Phylum Mollusca (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mollusc) This is a genuine viable source of nutrition.............if you can get your head around it.

Slug Fritters

Ingredients

10 freshly slaughtered slugs cleaned of all outer mucous (NB:big fat snails could be substituted for the slugs)

1/2 cup of cornmeal

1/2 cup of high protein flour

3 eggs

2 egg yolks

1/4 cup of heavy cream

4 tbs. Of butter

4tsp.of sour cream

Instructions

First chop the slugs into fine mince, then beat the eggs and egg yolks with the heavy cream together. Sift the dry ingredients and then cut 2 tbs of butter into that mixture. Add the egg and cream mixture to the dry ingredients and whip with a whisk vigorously for one to two minutes. Melt one tbs of butter in a sauté pan and pure the batter into 2 1/2 inch cakes in two batches. Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream.

Yields 4 servings.

mich@el

I have yet to be able to eat escargot, and that may have cost my ex a job offer - we were taken to eat at a very fancy restaurant as part of a two-day job interview. When they brought the snails to the table, I turned a little green, tried to manage a wan smile, and said as politely as I could "no thank you". His potential boss was not pleased and urged me to try them. I tried to beg off, but he would not take a polite no for an answer, so I tried humor, and said that I've seen what snails eat. He was not amused.

Perhaps under starvation conditions I'd feel differently, but ... there's an awful lot of deer in these woods, wild turkeys, etc. so I think snails and slugs would be WAY down my list! Though I was traveling in the Pacific Northwest once, and hiking down a trail, and there was this HUGE slug right in the middle of the trail - I'll bet it was 8 inches long!!! eek That might actually feed someone. Slugs around here don't come quite so large! lol

Cowgirl, we call those...banana slugs. About the same size. Not the same taste!!!

If you have fillings in your teeth; slugs create a 'tingling'

reaction in your mouth. Slug control is usually 1" strips of copper nailed on the planter box edges.

Swallowing chewed up slugs creates a VERY STRONG gag reflex. bouquet

We haven't had nearly enough frosts this winter(no frost = no dead slugs = way too many live ones!), so come Spring, I invite you ALL to come harvest slugs out of my yard and I'll cook 'em up for you. (Notice I said "you"!)

• 8 years later...