MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

baking powder

i don't know if this has been posted or not but

You can make your own baking powder:

Combine 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part baking soda and 1 part cornstarch. So for 1 teaspoon of baking powder, combine ½ teaspoon cream of tartar + ¼ teaspoon baking soda + ¼ teaspoon cornstarch. Store baking powder at room temperature in a cool, dry place.

Baking powder can lose its leavening power if it's too old. You can test the activity of your baking powder by pouring 4 to 5 tablespoons of boiling water over 1½ teaspoons of baking powder. If it is still fresh, it will bubble with vigor. If not, you'll only see a few bubbles form.

Trish,

You posted "I generally use baking soda with vinegar or buttermilk or lemon juice for baking. I don't keep baking powder on hand."

I've never heard of doing this. Could you explain or give a recipe example so I can better understand this?

Thanks.

Lisa

Thanks for the tip. Yesterday I made biscuits and found my baking powder was beyond its date. I'm glad to know that the ingredients to make it have indefinite shelf life. I think I'll store those instead.

Spider, I've used baking powder WELL beyond its shelf date with no loss of rising action.

But it's still good to know we can make it! wink

bighug

Yeah, I went ahead and used it and the biscuits were as normal, but if the other ingredients don't have an expiration date, I still think I'll store them instead of replacing the baking powder.

• 3 weeks later...

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

Violet, you can freeze baking powder, I have some in my freezer, and when I need it, I have it. I try to get it up before I need it so it can be at room temp when I do need it. But, I've had it for some time and it works great.

HAVEAGOODDAY-1.gifHUGS4-1.gif

Archived