MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

on how to make our Cornbread

We have several bread recipes on here but I don't recall seeing any for cornbread. DW and I were talking tonight on how to make our mix for cornbread. After reading the ingredients on the bag we both agreed we would not be able to make it from scratch. Does anyone make their own? We have whole corn in our preps but we don't have a clue on how to make a mix.

Anyone?

wormie

John

Wormguy,

I just use the recipe (sort of) on the back of the Alber's cornmeal box. The recipe and suggestions can be found here:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/...bers-Corn-Bread

I generally use a bit more sugar than recommended and if it's corn muffins for breakfast, I'll add a generous swig of vanilla. But however I make it, it always gets served with honey-butter in our house! (The name says it all, softened butter whipped with lots of honey)

Frankly, cornbread mixes up so fast, I'm not sure why you would want to pre-mix it. But I guess you could and just leave out the wet ingredients.

Grind your corn into meal and wheat into flour.

From a mix making book, (I have not tried this recipe)

Cornbread Mix

Combine:

1 1/4 cups flour

1 1/4 cups corn meal

3/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup dehydrated butter

2 tablespoons powdered milk

1 1/2 Tablespoons dehydrated egg*

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

*You can leave out the dehydrated egg, and use a fresh egg when making the cornbread.

Cornbread

Combine 3 cups Cornbread mix with 1 cup water

Bake at 350* in 8 x 8 greased pan for 30-40 minutes or greased muffin tins for 20 minutes.

I use the recipe from Fannie Farmer:

3/4 cup yellow cornmeal

1 cup flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 Tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup milk

1 egg well-beaten

2 Tbsp melted shortening or bacon fat

425 for 20 minutes in an 8" square pan or a cast iron frying pan.

I've made my own 'dry mix' by using powdered milk. I add a cup of water, an egg and bacon grease. Certainly, I could use powdered eggs and powdered shortening too. I just haven't done that yet.

BTW, the baking soda starts to work right away, so as soon as I have it mixed, I put in my greased baking dish.

Ate it tonight with bean soup! feedme

Mexican Cornbread

1 1/2 cups flour

2 1/2 cups cornmeal

5 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

4 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon cumin

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 can whole kernel corn (15 oz) -- drained

1 can green chiles (4.5 oz) -- diced

2 eggs -- beaten

1 stick butter -- (melted) (1/2 cup)

2 cups milk

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Preparation

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees

Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and incorporate. Add drained corn and green chilies. Add eggs, milk, melted butter, and cheddar cheese.

Mix well. Pour into a 13 X 9 pan (1/4 sheet), or muffin pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Freezes well

Pickled Jalapeño Cheese Corn Bread

Servings: 8

Recipe by Corporate Chef Ida Rodriguez

Ingredients

1 cup Cornmeal (Yellow)

1 cup Flour

1/3 cup Sugar

1 tablespoon Baking Powder

½ teaspoon Salt

1 cup Milk (whole)

2 large Eggs lightly beaten

3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil

1 can Corn Kernels (11oz can) drained

1 cup Monterey Jack Chesse shredded

3 tablespoons Pickled JalapenosPickled Jalapenos chopped

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan; set aside.

Combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and oil. Gently fold the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until a batter is formed. Fold in corn, cheese and jalapeños. Pour batter into baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crust is light brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove corn bread from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Cut into large pieces and serve warm.

2 cups freshly ground corn meal

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp salt

2 large eggs

1 cup buttermilk

beat it all up real good and pour into a hot cast iron skillet with melted bacon fat or lard (about 1/2 cup) sizzling in the skillet. Pop the skillet into a 450* oven and bake till slightly brown on top.

Y'all don't put sugar in your cornbread! LOL

Archived