MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If you were purchasing 1/2 a cow, what cuts would you get?

I'm thinking of purchasing half cow for the purposes of eating and canning, but I don't know what kind of cuts to ask for. I know I will want plenty of just ground meat because it is so versitile. But what else should I say when the butcher asks this question?

The front half is tougher cuts, the rear is the fancier steaks.

I usually get the front, it's cheaper here. Since you are canning it, that will generally tenderize it. Frankly, I LIKE the tougher cuts, they have more flavor!!

Get him to save you the bones, if he will, you can brown them in the oven for lovely beef soup stock!!

Oh Westie! hit

I just bought 1/2 a beef, for the first time, so I don't know a lot about it. My understanding is that it was split into left and right halves, not front and back halves. From my research, I do know that about 45% of your meat will be ground beef. My butcher had a list of questions that they asked me; hopefully yours will too.

think about what you do now with beef.

Steaks? roasts? ribs? the tender loin, ok.. here is a link to parts of a cow...

http://mistupid.com/food/butcher.htm

>evil Grin<

explanation of cuts http://www.mealsforyou.com/cgi-bin/customi...atcutsbeef.html

I have been buying my beef by the quarter or half my whole life (my grandpa has been a beef farmer for over 50 yrs). My grandma worked at the processing plant where his cattle are taken until she retired (that's where he met her).

The first time I ordered beef, the processor called me and we went through a whole list of how I wanted my beef cut, how many (ex: steaks)/much (ex: hamburger) I wanted per package. Now, every time I order beef the processor calls to go over my file to see if I want the same cuts or anything changed.

When you order a half-you will generally get a 'side' of beef-right or left. (Some processors do halves by separating ALL meat from the whole cow into half-so if the cow produces a total of 150# of hamburger, then you will get 75#. If it produces 10 sirloin steaks, then you will get 5. And so on. Not all necessarily from the same side. These are usually sold more in a prepackaged form-like a meat box-where you have no choice on cuts.) When you order a quarter-you will get half of all cuts from a side. If you order front, back, top or bottom, you will basically be ordering by cut and pay more or less accordingly. (Top half is more tender, bottom is tougher.)

They should ask if you want liver, heart, tongue, oxtail, soup bones and dog bones. If they don't ask, make sure you tell them if you want them. And make sure they are there when you pick up your beef. If you are buying from a larger processor, these items may not even be from the same cow as your beef. If you are buying your beef from an individual producer (farmer), then specifically ask for these items from 'your' cow.

Personally, I like more roast than steaks. Steaks are nice once in awhile, but roasts go further. So I get arm, chuck and standing rib in roasts rather than having them cut into steaks. We like alot of hamburger, too, so I have the whole bottom-brisket, skirt, flank and shank-ground for hamburger.

well...yes you could....and make glue with the hooves...and sewing thread with the sinew...and horn spoons with the horns (if any)...and??? winkrofl

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to make sleds for the kiddies from the rib bones. And use the brains to tan the hides.

Seriously, we make our own bone meal... just feed to the doggies, they turn into white poopie and spread all over our lush lawn. LOLOL

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/o...7384025879.html

RE: Bone meal....make your own? * Posted by aloveless (My Page) on Thu, Sep 27, 07 at 23:38

I make my bone meal out of chicken bones. After a chicken dinner I will boil the bones to remove any leftover fat or meat, which goes to my dog. Then I put the bones on my gas grill and basically turn them into charcoal. Once they are done I use an old coffee bean grinder and turn them into powder. The powder is of course black instead of the white stuff you buy in a bag. My tomatoes and potatoes love it and produce muchos fruitos!!!

----

And welcome.gifhi.gif

I suspect I'm not the only person here who hasn't tried oxtail before (though obviously Necie has since she suggested getting it smile ). Coworker brought some in yesterday that he had made with a mild jerk seasoning. Was really good, so now I can wholeheartedly suggest you ask for it if they offer it when you order your beef.

Wow!! Making your own bonemeal! Incredible!

Thank you. This is something I've never heard one single thing about. And we've just been throwing those bones out. Can you do it with anything other than chicken bones?

Archived