MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

DIY stitches in an emergency....

PrairieGirl

I was talking about prepping and survival stuff with DH a couple of days ago, when we got onto medical stuff. I was thinking, what would happen if someone required stitches.

We both have first aid but this is a topic that is never discussed and of course me and my imagination took over. So I was wondering, how in the world would I do this if it ever came down to it?? I've had them done to me before when I was a kid, and I've seen people who had them, but I know nothing about how to do it right.

So I searched on the good ol' internet and found this. It has pictures and explanations on how to do a "Simple Interrupted Suture" and its from the Boston University Medical Campus

I'm thinking of saving a copy in my Prepping & Survival book...just in case!!! I've also heard somewhere that practicing on a pig (dead of course) is great becasue you can get the feel of the needle going through the skin and so forth. Might be a good skill to have....just in case getting to a medical facility in the future is nearly impossible.

Just a thought....

PrairieGirl, also look on eBay and elsewhere for a skin stapler. It hurts less than stitching, largely because it's so very fast, and is far more idiot proof.

Stitching skin is more difficult than it looks. Especially when the skin is ripped or torn rather than sliced.

Look very, very hard at Steri-Strips and butterfly tape before you look at stitches.

If you get a skin stapler (which I also highly recommned), make SURE you get the staple remover too. Skin staples curve around and grip well, but if you try to remove one without the right tool it gets nasty.

• 10 months later...

I'm bumping this up.

I was out in the garden putting up a chain-link gate and I got a nasty cut. Well, actually it's more of a scrape/cut. Not deep enough for stitches.

Anyway, I got to thinking about this swine flu and what I would do if someone needed stitches when the hospitals and doctor's offices could be filled with infectious people. Besides, I have an extreme dislike of most conventional medicine except trauma related injuries, like broken bones and major injuries. I'd rather treat myself at home.

Does anyone know if you can buy suture kits? Could you use a regular sewing needle and thread in a pinch? Do you need to do individual sutures with each one knotted, or could you do a continuous stitch like when you hem a garment?

I haven't done much prepping in the first aid area except for a variety of bandages. It seems like this is something I need to look into, because I can be a klutz when I get busy outside!

You can use a sewing needle, however, the special needles are curved and much easier to work with. You can get all the suturing stuff you need at a farm supply store or a vet supply online. Be sure to get several small hemostats to grip the skin and a couple of needle holders. These are like hemostats, but have a short, strong tip to grip the needle and help you to pull it through the tissues.

make sure w/ super glue you "roll" the edges of the cut together and glue the skin on one side of the cut to the other. don't put glue in the cut. :)

putting this in notebook so when I am long since dead and having a blast haunting those signed up to my list, my husband will know what to do.

thank you.

putting this in notebook so when I am long since dead and having a blast haunting those signed up to my list, my husband will know what to do.

thank you.

You're welcome. It's one of those things in an emergency, putting the glue in the cut is something I would do without thinking it through.

I just assumed you put the superglue in the cut. Good thing you told me!

I never would have thought of looking at a farm supply store for the suture supplies. I'll check at Southern States when I pick up more chicken feed. Maybe tractor supply will carry it.

Thanks!

Archived