MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Jerky Meat?

Personally, I use London Broil cuts when I find them on sale. You're going to want a lean meat, but perhaps someone else knows of other cuts that work great.

Round Roast, london broil. If you can get the butcher to slice them 1/8 inch thick as minute under the impression you want to make philly cheesesteak sandwiches for a crowd, you'll save yourself some time and frustration. If you can't get them sliced for you, partially freeze them to make them easier.

Never tried the London Broil, but of all the cuts I've tried, the family liked the flank steak the most. Just make sure it's a lean cut of meat. Cut against the grain (although some people swear you should cut with the grain) and you should be fine with just about anything. I've even done rump roast and they liked it just fine.

I purchase the sirloin roast (about $22) from costco or sam's club.

I freeze it to a firm stage and slice. Once I get to the soft meat, I throw it back into the freezer to again freeze to a firm stage.

Freezing lets me get really thin slices. I like the sirloin because like the london broil, it is very lean.

• 4 months later...

Since we are bumping this.

I was recently gifted some elk meat cut in jerky strips - only the processor cut the meat too thick. I tried to cut the half-frozen strips in half but I was afraid I was going to cut a finger off. Talking to a friend about my problem it suddenly occurred to me that I could put the meat between plastic and pound it flat with my rolling pin. It worked wonderfully smile and I worked out some stress at the same time. Found out today that the person that gifted us the elk meat ended up buying a meat slicer. If only they would have know about the rolling pin trick it would have saved them a lot of money.

Archived