MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hurricane Ike is coming in, prayers for all concerned!

sassenach

My experience suggests that tropical storms and the remnants of hurricanes and tropical storms can cause as much damage as when they're Cat 5s.

Tropical storms and remnants can develop into rain systems that drop a year's worth of rain in hours, creating horrific flooding.

This October marks the 10th anniversary of a devastating weather system that created a 500 year flood in San Antonio. On Saturday, Oct 17, some 30 inches of rain fell in less than 24 hours. 29 people were killed, including 4 members of my family and the postman who served our high school (and had a daughter there). My cousin, her son, granddaughter and great-granddaughter were returning late in the evening from a wedding and had no idea things had gotten so severe. Their car was swept off the road when a 3 ft wall of water hit them. The postman was trying to rescue someone else.

Please be careful and be aware of flash floods and rising waters, even if you aren't on the coasts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_1998_...al_Texas_floods

praying for all in the path of the storms

My sister lives in Corpus Christi and my parents live in Harlingen(20 miles north of Brownsville for non-Texans). The latest forecast I heard said south of Corpus Christi and the map they were showing indicated maybe Baffin Bay (just south of Kingsville). That means that my sister is in the line of fire and my parents will get some wind (normal for them) and some rain.

The problem with hurricanes is that you can never be sure where they are coming ashore until they actually do it.

So, all the Texans here...take care of yourselves.

In case anyone is wondering. I am a Texan that lives in North Mississippi.

Well, we are in texas too,down around san antonio and I guess we will get to see just how well we are prepared. I think I am good for about 7-10 days of doing without power or water...Hubby is filling up the gas tanks as we speak and getting cash from the bank...We live in a mobile home and will not stay if our winds get to be above 70mph which is what they are saying on our local forecast..It will be an interesting few days, I hope everyone is preparng, some here in texas and along the coast just don't get it ...then we have to rescue them..sorry but that is a major rant of mine...everyone needs to care of their own...and while i am ranting,,have you ever heard the people they interview on the news,"I am staying with my house ,(or boat,or stuff)" /what the he** do they think they can stop??? The wind??The water?? That is sooooo crazy..and I think ...nevermind..I won't go there....Hope everyone is safe..prayers are out...Take care..and keep us posted if you hear of worthy news..Thanks

An entry point near Kingsville and the King Ranch is a good thing - sort of. It's sparsely populated and very hurricane savvy. I remember Beulah (Sept 1967) doing ugly things to the Rio Grande valley, but when a Cat 5 storm (Allen in 1980) came ashore there, the only deaths were 1 in Corpus when a man drown near North Beach and a couple who were killed near Austin when a tornado struck. South Padre Island and the Harlingen/Brownsville area are relatively poor and geographically very subject to flooding. I hope this storm will follow Allen's trail.

There was a high pressure system in place over Alice Texas and basically, that system just dried up Hurricane Allen. We lived in Corpus at the time and evacuated to family in San Antonio. Not so much damage, but lots of heat and humidity!

Prayers to all in Ike's path!

praying

I wish they could forecast these things a bit better! We live in a mobile home too. I'm more worried about my livestock than us. If it looks like coming over us, daughter and I will get in the truck and move to higher ground, but I cannot move all the animals somewhere and then back again. It is flooding that concerns me the most.

Though I have never been through a hurricane, I can't imagine. My prayers and thoughts are with you. May you all and your families (plus livestock and pets) be protected.

Abby

DarleneSwoon Well, my sons fiances family is in Houston/Humble area so if its close to them if its switching a bit northerly, they could get it, my prayers for them. Its all going to flood and I know DS fiances mom works admin with an oil company so I bet she is double busy doing whats required at work just now and at home hopefully they have emergency supplies in case their area looses electricity, etc.

You all have my prayers in TX. Seems you are getting quite alot of rain, also from storms from the Mexican Pacific scene too. And for anyone else in the path of this hurricane, praying

There seem to be a many MrsS folks in the path of Ike. As Cat says: Yikes IKE! By today, some of you may be on mandatory/voluntary EVAC and others of you may be battening down and staying. Doubt we'll hear from you until this is over.

I think you know that you'll have many, MANY prayers from the folks here. Remember that...... in the worst of it. praying

Keep thinking; keep planning; know what you'll do if THIS or THAT happen next.

And y'all keep your heads down!

bighug

MtRider [real concerned for this one..... frown ]

Prayers for everyone in Ike's path; keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

praying

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trepass against us. And lead us not into tempation, but deliver us from evil. Amen"

Tyler (20 miles from me) has already accepted over 1,000 evacuees. the stores are virtually empty and the gas stations are running out of gas.

the edge of the storm should hit us sometime after midnight.

we've got our food, water and lanterns, and our old house is stout.

adding my prayers and thoughts for those on the coast- including my poor old lovely beloved Galveston.... frown

I talked to a friend of mine in Houston earlier this morning. He lives in Richmond. Power out but no major home damage and his phone still works. He was on his way out into the neighborhood to help his neighbors. No major flooding in his area. Galveston apparently went completely underwater. Another friend of mine reported 7' of water on the Strand if anyone knows where that historical district is in Galveston.

You're right lm. That's what's so horrible.

Bear in mind too, that Galveston actually has a slow grade slope toward the north which is where the Strand is. If you're walking or on a motorcycle you notice it. Any water that came over the seawall (yes, saltwater) plus anything that fell in the form of rain over that whole island flushed north toward the Strand and the real bay area where the Port is.

*it's HEEEEEEEEERE*

rain, lotsa wind, we lost electric for a minute....

goats and pyrs are snuggled in their shed, cats and Sugarbear snuggled up on the front porch (ok- inside the front door)

the horse has opted to head for her 'holler'- a depression in the woods that's sheltered from the wind

I think I just saw the chickens blow past...(just kidding- they're holed up in the coop)

the next 4 hours should be...interesting...

***ANYONE HEAR FROM RITA?????***

Archived