MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Traumatic Day

Louis1

Just watched my Dear Middle Daughter get into HER CAR, pull out of the garage, and drive off to Sunday School.

This is the first time she has driven herself anywhere alone......shiny, new license.

She is blond. The car is bright red.

I am too old for this.......

Ah Louis

I know the feeling well. My daughter got her license after she graduated from college (never had time before). She bought a car on eBay and then took her final 'drive test'. Oy.

eek

She's blonde too, but the car is a 93 Toyota Camry - white.

My 17 year old has just abandoned his putput old and slow mobilette for a very fancy scooter that he bought for peanuts after it had been in an accident and rebuilt it himself for next to nothing (thanks to EBay parts). As reasonable as this kid is, I think I felt better when his fishing transportation was the slow putput model.

Originally Posted By: Louis1
Just watched my Dear Middle Daughter get into HER CAR, pull out of the garage, and drive off to Sunday School.

This is the first time she has driven herself anywhere alone......shiny, new license.

She is blond. The car is bright red.

I am too old for this.......

Don't feel bad Big Bad Baby Boy Marine just got his license last Tuesday after he got back from basic. He has put over $200 worth of gas in the car this past week. I know at $3.88 that is not much but...

I am still reeling from the insurance sticker shock. He caused my car insurance to triple. I went from paying $210 every six months to paying $622 every six months. Thank goodness come January he will be paying his own insurance.
Originally Posted By: mommato3boys

I am still reeling from the insurance sticker shock. He caused my car insurance to triple. I went from paying $210 every six months to paying $622 every six months. Thank goodness come January he will be paying his own insurance.

I can tell you don't live in New Jersey because I read your post and I thought $622 for six months is CHEAP!

Please don't post your property taxes because then I might start to cry.

I REALLY need to move out of this state before my kids learn how to drive.

My heart goes out to you.

For whatever it's worth, all of the odds are in her favor.(Or is that in your favor?) Especially, since she's apprently using it to get to church.

My daughter got her license 3 years ago. I was 54 then. I'm 64 now, and each time I've ridden with her I just knew my number was up. She's not careless. It just seems that she wasn't in her body during the months of expensive drving lessons. Her right hand turns are something out of a chase scene. Even at slow speed! Whew! eek

Fortnately, she decided that she coulsn't pay off her student loan and pay insurance. They say that it takes a long time to get it paid off. I'm hoping that the Lord will call me home before she hits the streets again.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

This too shall pass. smile

I'm glad she was heading to Sunday School, and I'm sure she is a careful driver. I know, it isn't always our children we are concerned about, it is all those other drivers out there.

We have to drive for ourselves as well for everyone else.

Grace, I'm sure your DD is and will be fine too. smile

Been there, done that 3 times, so know you will all make it. smile

HUGS4-1.gifHAVEAGOODDAY1.gif

Originally Posted By: funkyducky
Originally Posted By: mommato3boys

I can tell you don't live in New Jersey because I read your post and I thought $622 for six months is CHEAP!

Please don't post your property taxes because then I might start to cry.

I REALLY need to move out of this state before my kids learn how to drive.

Ok I won't tell you about property tax but I will tell you where they get us is gas tax. We have the one of the highest gas tax around. When you guys are paying 3.35 a gallon we are paying 3.40-3.45 we run about a dime more than most places.

Oh and that is for basic insurance. Our car is 15 years old and paid for so we carry the bare minimum on it. The only good thing is NC requires insurance so that helps but they don't give "good student" discounts or "driver's ed" discounts it is based on years of experience. So even though he waited until he was 18 to get his driver's license he is paying what a 16 year old would pay. I did my research and we are with GIECO, they have the cheapest rates having two males under the age of 25 on there. Come January he will have enough saved up to buy his own vehicle so he will come off of ours (yea!!)

I remember those days..... DarleneSwoon

I had one daughter that took to driving pretty well. The other....didn't.

After trying to direct her around a very large (& empty) parking lot for a while, I finally had her come to a complete stop. I posed a question: "If you drove this car absolutely straight ahead...what would you eventually run into?" Now mind you, dh and I both had been out practicing with her many times already.

Her arm veered over diagonal with the car and pointed to a tree that definitely did NOT line up........ HUH?

We got a professional instructor ...and an eye checkup. Neither helped but thru prayer, she safely logged in enough hours behind the wheel to eventually sort it all out. Couple decades later, I trust her driving.

MtRider

Ha, just have to chime in here.

Dear son got his drivers license last summer and within a week cracked up our truck by veering off our driveway and crashing into two trees. Yes, this was in our very own yard.

He was "bending down to fix some wires under the dashboard". While the vehicle was still going!

DarleneSwoon

frypan

I have to tell you that I didn't have a lot of confidence in his ability to not kill himself while driving or anyone else for that matter, but I can say that he has safely driven for over a year now. WithOUT any more accidents. Whew.

Sometimes I think you need nerves of steel to be a parent. We can laugh about it now but jeepers, at the time....

Don't worry, Louis! I bet she will do just fine.

The odds are not with the young inexperienced driver but to know your daughter's destination is Sunday School, I think you are going to get by easier than the rest of us. DD and 4 granddaughters live with us so we are going thru it all over again. First to drive, got Mom's old Taurus in June. So far has hit 1) a deer, 2) a cow that someone else hit first, 3) rear-ending her friend's car because she was changing a CD (I think it was text messaging while driving) and 4)backed into a pilon at a softball game. At the rate of one per month, I am so anxious to see what next month brings!

Keep on praising your daughter for her good driving skills and praying for her safe arrival at destinations. smile

Archived