MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Does anyone can stewmeat?

RNMOM

I do.

I can the meat after frying it til browned, and then I put a spoonful or two of dried onion soup mix into the jar and fill it up with water.

That way, I have the meat ready to make into any kind of stew I want on the day...tomato and paprika, red wine and vegetables, curry and potatoes, mushrooms and cream, prune and carrot, onion and bacon...

I do it this way because the vegetables get a bit too stewy if

I make my regular beef stew, meat, potatoes, carrots and onions. Not fully cooked, just heated thoroughly, with seasoning of course. I used to thicken it, but since joining here, don't do that anymore. Then I can as usual, meat being the longest time. I find any kind of potatoes work for me. We are not too particular. The veggies don't get mushy for me.

I regular can roast beef, chicken and pork loin and it is easy and you don't even have to pre-cook it, just cold-pack in the jars with boiling water or broth and put in the pressure canner. It will cook itself during the processing. Instructions can be found in the Ball Blue Book.

This really sounds exciteing... I just bought a small pressure cooker($20) so that I can try my hand at these things. I am REALLY worried about the botulism thing I was reading elsewhere. Is there any foolproof directions for the canning-challenged like me?

Maranatha!

Monique

The red, yellow or white potatoes hold up better than a russet in canning. I really don't like russet potatoes, but that is just me. They are grainy in texture.

I am hoping you have a pressure canner, Monique, and not a cooker. Unless it will hold at least 4 quart sized jars it will not be suitable for canning, only cooking in.

Follow the USDA guidelines or the Ball Blue book and you will be fine.

Some of us have canned for a million years and are happy to help you. Please feel free to ask your questions. If I may suggest this, please ask them before you can something so we can help you avoid any problems. We want you to be sucessful with your efforts.

This is the most reliable source I know of :

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html

They even have a free online course you can take.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

Yes, I have canned a lot of stew, I do it according to the recipe in the 'Ball Blue Book'. Here is a picture of the stew I canned a year ago. smile

STEW2.jpg

I use the russet potatoes or whatever I have.

Oh, and I use to do all my canning in my pressure sauce pan, as that was all I had and it holds 4 pint jars. smile Then I got my American canner and I love it. It holds so much more. smile

FALLHUGSBEAR.gifFALLHAVEAGOODDAYPUMPKINS.gif

Nice looking stew, Snowmom. Where did you get those big red button lids ?? I used to have them and LOVED them !

Good you got a pressure canner and not trust a cooker, since they are not considered safe for canning.

I am canning beef chuck roasts in chunks today. Taking a break.

Feeling lazy, but have a lot to do.

Archived