MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

fluoride-free-toothpaste

Campy

I would think that salt would be too abrasive. I use Toothsoap to brush my teeth. http://www.perfect-prescription.com/dentalhygiene.php? It takes a bit getting used to, but I like it. I've also used Kiss My Face Olive Oil bar soap. Just wet the toothbrush and run it across the bar. Works well.

1-2 x per week I brush with baking soda, in addition to the soap. Helps whiten the teeth.

Originally Posted By: Grace&Violets
I would think that salt would be too abrasive.
I'll ask her. I thought the salt would melt pretty quickly, but I guess that would depend on the type of salt she used (like the size of the granules).

I was thinking the added benefit of salt is that it probably gives you some of the same benefits of gargling w/ salt water, daily. Soothing, getting rid of germs... shrug

Okay I've tried both of those... baking soda every day is too abrasive for your teeth. Its recommended that you don't use it but 1-2x wk. For salt I just wet my toothbrush and then dip it in the salt. It sticks to the brush and then I brush with it. It doesn't melt and it works great.

For the toothsoap, that is recommended as being really great but I've found it to be very expensive. After looking into it I decided if you wanted to use that buying natural goat milk soap would be just as good and a lot cheaper than those products. I can buy goat soap at a little farm here for only $5 bar if I needed it.

I used to work at a foundation where we assisted persons facing mental Retardation, gain self sufficiency & independence, many of these folks, especially the children, simply consumed the tooth paste as a treat! Over the years, that foundation ( and many others like it) concluded that the toothpaste was not doing any good in a persons tummy, and so stopped using the toothpaste

altogether, but only water & brushing. One dose NOT really need a tooth paste.

There is fluoride in MUSH of this nations water supply already, if you want a pleasing “taste” try a TINT drop of peppermint oil in some water, maybe another flavor. It will not take much of any oil, a toothpick dipped in said oil then in the water (say a cap full) will do the trick if your kids insist on “flavor”.

We use a mix of salt and baking soda. First, we drip peroxide on the brush and then just a tiny sprinkle of the powder. My dentist (who I don't tell) said my teeth were perfectly clean, nothing to scrape off:?) It doesn't seem to abrasive to me.

Originally Posted By: onepoormomma
We use a mix of salt and baking soda. First, we drip peroxide on the brush and then just a tiny sprinkle of the powder. My dentist (who I don't tell) said my teeth were perfectly clean, nothing to scrape off:?) It doesn't seem to abrasive to me.

I use equal parts baking soda, salt, and either myrrh or powdered sage. Both of those herbs are good for keeping gums healthy.
  • 1 month later...

I use Tom's of Maine also. You have to be sure you're getting the fluoride free, as they now have some with fluoride.

It took a little getting used to (it even says on the box to give it two (?) weeks). I can't use (ok, don't want to use :) ) my old popular brand toothpaste now as it's too sweet for me. It's like it's all sugar!

We use Spry and like it a bit better than Tom's of Maine.

I follow that each morning with a bit of tooth powder made of 1Tbsp baking soda to 1tsp salt. I really don't think it's all that abrasive and it has done well at whitening my teeth a bit.

Oof! Left off why sodium bicarbonate is a good idea. Plaque creates an acidic atmosphere in your mouth and acids demineralize your teeth. Sodium bicarbonate is a mild abrasive (if you brush as gently as you are supposed to) and a mildly alkaline so helps neutralize the acid waste created by intra-oral bacteria.

Oof! Left off why sodium bicarbonate is a good idea. Plaque creates an acidic atmosphere in your mouth and acids demineralize your teeth. Sodium bicarbonate is a mild abrasive (if you brush as gently as you are supposed to) and a mildly alkaline so helps neutralize the acid waste created by intra-oral bacteria.

I didn't know this, but it makes perfect sense.

I've been using equal parts salt, baking soda and powdered myrrh. It works great, but the myrrh is a wee mite too bitter for my taste. This morning I added another "equal part" of cinnamon, and I like that MUCH better. It's very nice now.

Archived