MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Taste of Christmas

Someone on another forum started a topic on this, and I thought it would be nice to have it here!

So, what tastes like Christmas to you?

I will start,

Tamales. Here in the south Hispanic families make tamales for Christmas and oh my Lord are they good. I could eat a half dozen by myself. I love the sweet corn with jalapeno pepper in it, so good.

Lasagna. My Dad is Italian, and we always have Lasagna for Christmas along with the ham. LOL

Tangerines, sugar-sprinkled cookies, and peppermint sticks!

As a kid, in the winter, about the only time we had fresh fruit was an orange and an apple in our stockings on Christmas morning. I used to trade most of the candy from my stocking for the other kid's oranges. I would get as many as I could, and put them in a row on my dresser.

The sight of them, the scent of them... and, eventually, the taste of them; that was Christmas.

Originally Posted By: Leah
Tangerines, sugar-sprinkled cookies, and peppermint sticks!

As a kid, in the winter, about the only time we had fresh fruit was an orange and an apple in our stockings on Christmas morning.

We had tangerines in our stocking Christmas morning. right in the toe. Along with candy canes (peppermint of COURSE!), and NUTS. Assorted nuts of all kind in and among the rest of the things in our stockings.

Stockings are my favorite part of Christmas.

Fried Oysters. Cold. grin

We always have fried oysters (along with other seafood and pasta) on Christmas Eve. DH does a lot of the cooking for that meal.

Every Christmas morning will find me nibbling the cold leftover fried oysters, first thing. I will nosh on them all day long, one at a time.

I am so crazy about them that DH always makes extra on Christmas Eve, just to make sure I am adequately supplied for Christmas!

Peppermint candy of course, I always got one of those big sticks at Christmas.

Ham with Durkee's sauce, had to have Durkee's for the Ham at Christmas and the Turkey at Thanksgiving.

Egg Nog - That's a big holiday treat for my family and I can remember Grandma making it herself and how good it was.

Fudge! with Pecans! Oh my!

Divinity Candy! my Grandma said with all the humidity of the South you had to look for the one perfect dry cold day to make it work and it was a treasure.

Hot Spiced Apple Cider - my kids love for me to fill up the crock pot and keep it warm all day on Christmas so they can sip it when they want to and it makes the whole house smell so nice.

Pasole

Blue Corn Mush

Steamed shrimp with Old Bay seasoning

Sausage stuffed mushrooms

Date nut pinwheel cookies and/or Date Pudding

M&M cookies

Hershey Kiss cookies

Fruit salad with oranges, apples, bananas, grapes and pecans.

Chex party mix

Raspberry Triffle

Spiral Cut Glazed Ham

Posole, pozole - Corn that has been treated with slaked lime to remove the tough outer husks of the kernels, then dried; thick stew made with hominy as an ingredient; the stew usually includes pork and chiles; also another name for hominy. The base of the soup is water flavored with onions, tomatoes (or tomatillos), and herbs. Hominy is cooked into this broth and condiments include minced onion, avocado, lime wedges, oregano, queso fresco, and fried pork skin.

It can be prepared in a variety of ways. I add a few pork chops, then when the meat has cooked, pull out the bones. It can be seasoned with chile or be very bland.

The Spanish people in our closest town have told me that it is tradition to have pasole after midnight mass on Christmas eve.

I should have added Carne Adovada to my list. It is pork chunks marinated in a red HOT sauce. Goes good with pasole.

Carne Adovada

Mmmmmm

Hot Apple Cider

Egg Nog

Gingerbread!

Fudge

Sugar cookies decorated by my kids

Snowball Cookies (otherwise known as Mexican Wedding Cakes or Russian tea cakes)

Turkey with all the trimmings

Ham

Stockings full of choclates and nuts and a tangerine and cocoa and caramel corn

Lets not ROSETTE cookies!

When I was real young we had a neighbor lady who was pretty reclusive, but each Christmas she'd send her frail old husband out to deliver everyone in town a cookie a tray. (it was a Tiny town then). Each one had Rosettes, Snow balls, the most devine Devinity, and these wonderful little buttery pastry cups with date poppy-seed filling. And a mini-Reese's peanut butter cup for each kid. smile

Originally Posted By: Kelly
Fudge
Peanut brittle

Buckeyes (peanut butter balls)

I WANT SOME!!!!
Can't have it. SOOBBBB

I remember most of all the chopping of nuts....

My grandma would start in early December making cookies and candy. Seems she didn't want us to share in the MAKING of the cookies (her secret, I guess) but was more than willing to accept the slave labor of chopping nuts. BY HAND - no machine. You couldn't get it just right, otherwise. Every kid in the family began to develop knife skills around age 8. They never cut themselves, there were too many people watching.

Favorites: peanut butter balls, Russian Tea Cakes, Rum Cake, cookies galore...

My grandpa had perfected an Almond Roca recipe SO MUCH BETTER than the pink can. It was coveted by neighbors, friends, even the local seniors groups would persuade him to make it for sales. Somehow I don't have the knack. He would make the toffee first, then freeze it, then dip it in a very pricey chocolate then roll it in hand-chopped almonds. I've not had any for over 10 years now and I miss it. The uncle who inherited the hand-made toffee-trays never makes it to share anymore.

Our holiday dinner is always a sit down - always homemade, nothing pre-packaged. We use the good dishes, lines, and silver.

It is always a mixture of smells.

At times, the smells of chex cereal mix, turkey, or cookies filled the air. Other times, tea, rum cake, and cocoa mix.

Each year I try to do some favorites as well as something for my husband and mom (who can't cook anymore due to glaucoma).

I actually made fudge for the first time that was PERFECT. DH was impressed. smile

Miss Crazy, you should try my almond roca, then. It is better than the store stuff, by far. I can teach you to make it.

This is the first year I think we have had peanut brittle since my mom died. Dad used to make it, but when she died I don't remember him ever making it again. Now that he is gone, I decided it was time for me to learn. Maybe I shouldn't have. I have been bad and eating some. Not exactly diabetic friendly stuff.

Was your fudge sugar free ? I don't make fudge. My dh doesn't like it, of all things. How can you not like it ?

CrabGrass, how do you make fried green beans ? Sounds good to me.

Archived