MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A Canadian has joined you

Motherhen

Hi All,

I've been lurking for some time and have enjoyed immensely all of the information I've found here. I live in S.Ont, near the "honeymoon city" (NiagFalls) on a small 13 acre hobby farm with my husband, --we have 4 kids; the first 3 are girls and finally had a son after all those years. Only 2 are at home now--the 11 and 7 yr.old though our oldest daughter, her husband, son and a baby on the way (due end of May) live here on the property as well in their own separate apt. We have one other daughter--also married--who lives in town with her husband. Both of our daughter's husbands are American...one from Ky, the other from S.C.

We have lived here for over 20 yrs.--prob'ly going on 22 this May..Its a hobby farm but we are downsizing. Started off with sheep and a pony and it grew but now we just have several beef cows, one horse, two ponies, two donkeys, one goat, three sheep, several ducks, about a dozen hens and a rooster, several rabbits, a llama and one pot bellied pig. I have been a dog breeder for 12 yrs...pugs and beagles. Was the first Cdn.breeder of puggles but now am mainly just breeding pugs. They're my favourite but I may stop breeding too in these chaotic economic times. I feel we're headed for a depression, not a recession.

We're a homeschooling family as well--and likely the grandson/children will be too. We were the typical cloth diapering/nursing family and now my oldest daughter has carried on the 'tradition'. I love to cook and have MANY cookbooks and a library of other topics that are my interests...I love to read and paint-watercolour/oil. I can crochet and embroider --don't like knitting but my daughter does. Although we use "western" medicine too, we also seek out homeopathy, herbs, etc. I have Chronic Fatigue, some arthritis and just found out I'm pre-diabetic so learning about that in more depth as my mother and best friend are diabetics.

I've always had a stocked pantry but for the past several months, have really been increasing and preparing. Times are getting tougher and it appears that my dh's job in construction just crashed as well this past week. All jobs are now 'maybe, maybe, maybe' or fallen through, according to his boss.

My daughter and I are planning a much larger garden then last year (last years was a flop) and I like to plant lots of flowers too. Really planted a lot of perennials last year so I look forward to spring to see them grow!

Looking forward to offering some postings instead of lurking.

Welcome from another Canadian :)

I live in southern Alberta, but I spent four years in Ottawa. My husband is from the Ottawa valley.

Hello from the east side of T.O. We have 4 children as well, only younger (12, 10, 9 and 7). I homeschool the kids and hubby works in the construction industry as well. We are hoping with the new budget and incentives for new building projects that we can weather the storm. This winter has been very slow work-wise due to the cold weather and 3+ feet of frost in the ground - a lot of projects have been stalled until spring.

I like the sounds of your hobby farm. I grew up on a dairy farm. I miss having animals to take care of on a daily basis - nothing says "get your body moving" like a yard of hungry animals.

Welcome and enjoy catching up on the reading :D

Michelle

Welcome fellow Canadian!

Archived