MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2 being tested near us...

Cat

They are testing a child and a young adult... and say it will take *2 WEEKS* to know. (EDIT- it didn't take that long)

Yer DARN TOOTIN' this thing can't be contained!!!! <_<

Ya know, we think and worry and consider and plan and prepare and we fear... but 80% of what we worry about never happens.

This thing is completely out of control and is coming at us all like an out-of-control freight train.

*SIGH*

I REALLY need some chocolate...

GOODMORNINGWHITEDOG2.gif

This is news we never wanted to hear, and man, in two weeks just think of what could happen. :( Not pretty at all. :(

I just did a check and as of now, there are no cases of the Swine Flu in MN.

:pray: that all of you will be safe.

hugsgirlandflowers.gifHAVEANICEDAYFLOWERSANDBUTTERFLIES.gif

Just found out a friend of mine in Pheonix AZ is sick. Its probably this flu as she works with Mexicans who go back and forth over the border.... but waiting to see if it is the flu. Probably. Told her to stay home! Told her what procedures to take about arranging to get a swab done, and to call doctor and the ER if necessary, but not to expose anyone else! ( And the air is really dry there with the hot days they have recently been having. )

Cat I would assume whoever took the actual swabs in the hospital may not have been aware of how fast they are getting these swabs tested now. It has been being done the same day. I am sure the labs have certain instructions on it now. So the two week rule is probably null, whether a health worker knew it or not when the patients were told how long it would take.

Yup, finklet... but they're only telling us *at this point* that it is the "young adult"... just one.

It was the TV new who said it would take two weeks to know. I'm uh... guessing they were WRONG! <_<

1 Case Of Swine Flu Confirmed In Indiana

http://cbs2chicago.com/health/indiana.swin...u.2.996247.html

I was talking to DD about school closings, SIP (sheltering in place), etc. this morning.

I got to thinking that the schools might even welcome closings, because of the economic situation most find themselves in right now. Gasoline savings alone would be a lot. Laptops by fall... stay-at-home schools next year... no food service, no heating/air conditioning costs, no bus drivers, aides, little cleaning/maintenence... just security and essential personnel. Laptop breaks down? Drop-off point, no touching, sanitize everything... :shrug:

*SIGH*

I have GOT to get my housework done....

:behindsofa:

Cat lets try and take this about a week at a time. Remember, we can do as much as we can do. While we can.... so folks just keep your eyes peeled and talk, like Cat did, with your kids and family members about what you may be doing as time goes on.

I don't know about it really helping the school budgets but I hope it does. The problem is if schools stay closed a very long time, alot of working parents will have to have someone staying home with the kids, and that is an economic loss to them if they cannot work from home, and most probably cannot do that. If travel shuts down, this affects a whole lot of things out there, if businesses and such had to close it will all only make things worse economically. Those are simple facts. I hope we can nip it good, but obviously its not going to be easy.

Two men have possibly died today in Los Angeles area and they are being tested now, ages 35 and 45. American residents in that region.

Re-organizing schools to teach via computer is a great idea however. But that would only be available to those who can afford the Internet and have their own computers. But things like this are full of beaurocratic paperwork and I don't know if they could implement such a plan fast enough to cover a whole school year by the Fall. Homeschooling options might be a good consideration for those who have kids in public schools this year.

I was glad to get a reply email from my son. He did not say he was working out of his home area this week. Maybe its local training. But on Sunday he is expecting to be flying to Germany and said he has his hand sanitizer and will get some masks for flying and the airports at least. He will be in Germany for six weeks unless they get sent home if this flu situation worsens badly in that time and the Levels go to 6, except that its pretty essential work that he does, so I have to just wait and see. DS mentioned that he was sort of de-sysentized after flying so much in his work, but he was being more cautious now, so I am relieved that he is taking this seriously and not just thinking he can John Wayne it or something. ( He has had pneumonia twice in his twenties, so it is something he has to certainly be more careful about it if possible. )

I am worried about my friend in Pheonix though! She still has not replied to my query on IM today.

I just learned that there are some test samples from suspected cases sent in to the CDC from New Hampshire as well. Not sure when there will be any news from that.

Oh, HEAVENS... It's at Notre Dame University!!! :o

Try containing THAT group... :0327:

~~~~~

Swine flu case confirmed at Notre Dame

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 11:43 AM EDT

SOUTH BEND (FOX 28 - WSJV) - FOX 28 News was the first news organization to confirm that a Notre Dame student has the first confirmed case of the swine flu in Indiana. The Indiana Health Department says the case was found in St. Joseph County.

The Indiana health commissioner said Tuesday that the Notre Dame student is "doing well." According to the University's news and information department, the student sought treatment at the student health center on April 22nd. After a culture sample from the student was sent to the Indiana State Department of Health in Indianapolis, the University learned that the case was 'suspect' for swine flu on April 24th. The culture was then sent to the CDC in Atlanta for confirmation.

The student has fully recovered and is in good health.

State health Commissioner Judy Monroe said the person was a young adult from northern Indiana. This is the first confirmed swine flu case in the state of Indiana.

She said the case had been confirmed in testing by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The agency said Sunday that it had sent two flu specimens for tests by the CDC. The agency said the flu specimens did not match other strains that Indiana has seen this year.

http://www.fox28.com/Global/story.asp?S=10263505

~~~~

I kind of doubt President Obama will be giving the commencement address now... unless everyone is in masks???

Darn... Notre Dame sudents are *everywhere*... malls, restaurants, bars, grocery stores...

:behindsofa:

I think we all need to ask - what if it is near us? How many have died in the US? One, and he was a Mexico City boy. Whether it's because they are not as healthy as us (Mexico City is a very impoverished area) or if it's because they have some sort of genetic marker that makes them more susceptible, or we just have better and more care, the fact remains that no one has yet died of this flu. And if they do, look to see if they had underlying reasons - such as immune system compromise. THEN consider whether this is a risk for you before you panic. :)

We just an email alert that my son's junior high will be closed next week because of a "probable" case of H1N1. The family will be quarantined to help prevent the spread. All students are to be quarantined at home (how is my 14yo going to be feeling about this after several days?). I had a discussion with ds14 and he had said at school they had talked with the kids about not sharing drinks, swapping spit :rolleyes: and the importance of washing hands, etc. On Monday morning I will be asking each family that comes to my center if they have a student at the junior high...because all siblings are to be confined at home as well...siblings will not be allowed to stay at our center for the week.

I've been walking around looking at any holes in my preps...I need bottled water (just in case)....my biggest concern if it hits my school and we are quarantined is how to deal with the care of my mother...who I go over daily with meals and clean her place, etc. I may have to figure out how to prepare some meals ahead of time just in case I go over.

I'm really surprised at how calm I'm feeling (maybe I'm living in the land of DeNile?)...with it being a "probable" case...and the cases being so mild in the US so far....hopefully I'll be feeling the same way in a few weeks.....

I'm really surprised at how calm I'm feeling (maybe I'm living in the land of DeNile?)...with it being a "probable" case...and the cases being so mild in the US so far....hopefully I'll be feeling the same way in a few weeks.....

I think the initial shock has kind of been muted by the lack of *bodies*. If people were dying in the US, we would all feel much differently.

The articles I'm seeing suggest that the flu shot so widely pushed in this country may have a role in the mildness. http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34582

But also it looks like the states are NOT prepared; maybe by fall they will have more Tamiflu? They're only "required" to stockpile enough for 25% of their population. http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34594 (Second story I posted)

*SIGH*

I hope everyone is fine in your area, dogmom4, and that things get back to "normal" soon...

:bighug2:

Change in plans again. The email as of last night is the school is closed for 2 weeks now and healthy siblings are to go to school. They are recommending that the teens not congregate in groups (yeah, like they're going to do that!). Healthy teachers have to report to school Monday to figure what they're going to do about getting school assignments to students.

And the logic in this is.... ?????

Are they treating all parents and siblings? That might make it ok... :shrug:

They are testing a child and a young adult... and say it will take *2 WEEKS* to know

I would think if their tests turned up positive, would be notified in more like 2-3 days. I sure hope they are told something one way or the other and quickly. It is always difficult to sit and wait for lab results. You don't suppose same way as our dreaded annual mammograms, no news is good news? Those things take forever to hear back on. Argh...

Maybe I didn't clarify that... the TV news said two weeks originally, but no, it took much less time before we knew. I think it was the next day.

And the logic in this is.... ?????

Are they treating all parents and siblings? That might make it ok... :shrug:

As far as I'm concerned there is no real logic in this. They're only quarantining the whole family of the student with the case...all other students are "highly encouraged" not to get together in groups and are restricted from district activities. It just feels like people are not taking this very seriously. Last night dh and I had a half dozen jr. hi kids sitting behind us in the movie theatre. Today there was a group walking around the grocery store. By letting them all these kids out they're gonna be all over the town spreading any germs they might have for the next 2 weeks...

Archived