MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning potatoes recipes

Canning potatoes is quite easy and can be found in the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, Pg 66, and please don't say you don't have it. Recipes for Beef Stew are also in the book, pg 59 and 61.

Canning potatoes is quite easy and can be found in the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, Pg 66, and please don't say you don't have it. Recipes for Beef Stew are also in the book, pg 59 and 61.

I have those recipes, I want *other* recipes. Hence the *aside* bit ;)

I have thought about this also. It seems a shame so many potatoes and so few canning recipes for them. I was wondering if somewhere there might be a hot german potato salad recipe? I have seen it canned in the store but have never seen a "approved" canning recipe. This is a recipe I found online, most recipes call for a couple tablespoons of flour to thicken but you could maybe use clear jel instead. I wonder if someone has an approved recipe and times to process?

INGREDIENTS

• 3 pounds potatoes
  • 1 pound bacon, cubed
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups white wine vinegar

DIRECTIONS

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop.
  2. Place bacon and onion in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until bacon is evenly brown. Drain excess grease from skillet.
  3. Add the sugar and vinegar to the bacon and onion mixture and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture over the potatoes (sliced 1/4 inch thick) and stir.

I'm not Violet, but its not a recipe I would recommend or do because of the amount of bacon and grease in it, even without considering that it has not been tested and proven safe by food scientists in a laboratory for canning.

This is a cooking recipe, not a canning recipe. They are not the same at all.

Sorry, no bacon in canning in this manner .

The best thing so far, in my opinion, was to can my potatoes in chunks, adding calcium chloride to each jar. Keeps them firm, like store canned potatoes. They use it in the commercial ones. It is the same thing as Pickle Crisp that we home canners put in pickles. The liquid is more cloudy in my jars due to it, but not a safety issue.

Then, you can open the potatoes and use in these sorts of recipes.

It is also possible to can an potato soup base, using potatoes, celery, and onion. Can it then open and thicken for potato soup, adding butter, cream, whatever you want when you heat it up.

Dehydrated potato slices turn out really nice, too. They can be sprinkled with seasonings before being dried if you wish.

It is also possible to can an potato soup base, using potatoes, celery, and onion. Can it then open and thicken for potato soup, adding butter, cream, whatever you want when you heat it up.

Dehydrated potato slices turn out really nice, too. They can be sprinkled with seasonings before being dried if you wish.

I had considered making a dairy free tater soup. THNX for verifying this!

My Mom used to can vegetable soup with a tomato base and potatoes, corn, carrots, cabbage, okra, peas, beans, onions and diced tomatoes. I don't know if it was a ball book recipe, but she swore by that book so I'd assume it was. We loved the stuff and it made a fantastic quick meal with left over pot roast meat in it or smoked sausage chopped up in it. Haven't made it myself, but I sure miss my Mom's veggie soup.

Which is the better book to get? Does the bigger better one have the times and requirements? I have Mom's old one, but have been told a newer one would be good to get for updated time and pressure requirements. Might as well get the bigger one if it has everything. :D

The Ball Blue Book ($5) is the bible and everyone should have it. The Complete Book ($45 or so) has 400 more recipes, but is too expensive for most people. One I would recommend as additional books would be the "So Easy To Preserve" ($18) from the University of Georgia Extension and obtained from the National Center for Home Food Preservation website. The other is "Small-Batch Preserving" (??) by Topps & Howard.

As a point of reference, ALL canning recipe books must have been printed or updated after 1990 or they are not safe to use. All recipes after that date were tested and rewritten.

Ellie Topps book is good, too. I have it, also.

It is anything before 1994 that we consider obsolete, and then even some of it since then is, too. The thing I can think of for sure is jerky. That, and the relish recipes like corn relish and I think another one, that used to call for flour now says to use Clear Jell instead.

Just depends upon how basic of a book you want. The standard Ball Blue Book is more basic. The complete Ball Book has some more modern type recipes. I also recommend So Easy to Preserve, as Canned Nerd mentioned.

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

We use the recipes in the Ball book, and they are just fine. :) When you can just the potatoes, you are able to use them for about anything. I have some sliced and others in hunks. They are so nice to have on hand and something you can open in a hurry. :)

haveagooddaywithflowers.gifHUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question about canning potatoes. Violet is pickling lime the same thing as calcium cholride that you use to can taters? I really want to can some, but don't want them to end up mushy. Also, Dh canned some asparagus and it was kinda mushy too. Thought maybe adding some of the pickling lime would help. Any thoughts and or correction will be glady appreciated. :)

While waiting for Violet to take a break from her Sunday activities, it can be noted that Lime is used as a preliminary brine ONLY and must be rinsed and rinsed and rinsed thoroughly before the food can be placed in the jars since Lime is caustic and a poison. For this reason Lime is used less and less by many experienced canners.

Calcium Chloride is a form of salt and is dissolved directly in the water of jar holding the food. Calcium Chloride was sold for many years under the brand name of "Pickle Crisp."

I totally agree about not using the pickling lime. It is very caustic. If it is inhaled it can cause respiratory problems. Also, if not rinsed several times, as CN said, it can lower the acid level in the foods and make them too high in ph to stay safe.

It is really an outdated method.

Calcium chloride is also known as Pickle Crisp. Ball used to sell it, but was told by Ball they would no longer sell it due to a loss of their supplier.

Order the calcium chloride online from Bulk Foods.com.

It really does work in keeping the foods crisp.

Thank you so much Canned Nerd and Violet. I will order some from that site. After putting some of my bulk food in long term storage, I realized that I need to add more beans. So I can kill two birds with one stone. Thanks again. :)

Archived