MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A silly, yet serious question

Okay, I know I'm opening the door for all kinds of blonde jokes, but here I go...

I just finished building my new chicken coop. I built it on the short side to save on materials. The door is only 5 foot tall. I figured I would have sense enough to duck whenever I went in and out, but apparantly I've had the sense knocked out of me too many times in the past, because I keep hitting my head on the stupid opening.

So, I'm wondering if I could do some serious permanant damnage by hitting my head repeatedly in the same spot. I never hit it hard enough to get a concussion, (As far as I'm, aware. I haven't found myself nose deep in chicken poo with no explanation yet.) I'ts always in the same spot and I have a bump there.

I've never heard anything about repetative head -banging trauma or whatever you'd call it. All I know is that my head hurts :wacko:

I'm not blonde, but I do have blonde moments! ;)

Okay...a possible solution...since hitting your head over and over has not gotten your attention, you need something to catch your attention by catching your eye. Hang something down from the top of the door frame that will cause you to duck. Or, you'll throw your arm up to brush whatever it is aside and when your arm bump, you'll be reminded to duck.

I'm thinking just some strips of material, streamers, a fly tape trap??? I don't know, but something that you will SEE and AVOID.

Good idea Steph!

Of course, next I'll be posting a question about repeated eye trauma!

Or how to get un-stuck from fly tape. Ever get stuck to one of those things! They work on humans too you know. :bounce:

Okay, I'm not laughing....I'm seriously trying not to laugh but only because I've been there done that. And *I* am not blonde either.

Seriously, as I know you meant your question to be, you could do permanent damage if you keep repeatedly bringing up a bump there but I doubt it will happen before you learn to duck unless you hit hard each time. Permanent pain in the area or increased swelling would be a clue as would vision problems or headaches. The body is pretty tough though and resilient, just dye your hair very very dark and you should do very well remembering next time.............

:behindsofa:

(Okay, so I laughed just a little but I really DO know how that could happen.......only mine was a hay bunk I had to fill daily....groan)

:bighug2:

Why not hang a pretty Wind chime on either side of the mantle of the door something to attract your eye up and go oh yeah its short I better duck?

Why don't you glue the bases of several styrofoam cups above the door? If you hit one hard enough to crush it, you'll probably still stop before knocking stars into your eyes. One crushed is not a big loss, either. Plus it's white, so it might catch your eye.

I'd probably buy one of the foam noodles at the dollar store, slice it lengthwise, and nail it over the edge of the door frame. You could probably get two out of a single noodle, so you'd have a spare. Just be careful of nail placement.

I was sitting in the coop a while ago watching the girls in their nests and I got an idea. I'm going to try attaching that foam pipe insulator stuff up on the edge of the 2x4 door frame stud. It has a slit running down the length of it that you use to insert it around the pipe. I'm going to rob one of the pipes in the garage for a piece and glue it on.

I hope I remember to replace it before winter or I'll have some explaining to do to my husband when the pipe bursts! He'll really give me a knot on the head! :frying pan:

Thanks for all of your ideas. You got my creative juices flowing.

(Just in case anyone gets worried, my husband is a sweetie and would never harm a single hair on my head!)

Sometimes it is good to be creative. After burning a couple of new pots I decided that I CANNOT walk away from the stove until I set the timer. It really is not the dog's fault for distracting me! LOL

I'm constantly banging into things too. I decided "make a mess" is my middle name.

Things are supposed to move out of the way!

That's a mighty good story Mommadogs and *I'M* sticking to it ... :D

:bighug2:

Yes Army of five, I seem to be able to inflict plenty of injuries on myself without any help!

It's been a few days since I posted my question. I haven't put the foam up yet, but I have managed to avoid hitting my head again. I still have my bump, but the pain is almost gone. I would hate to go through life with one of those bumps on the head that you see on cartoons, sticking up and all red!

My husband would probably tease me and say it's one of my horns showing.

I am glad that you have come up with a solution. I was wondering how much hassle it would be to redo the coop and make the door taller for you. Less hassle than a constant headache. Mammadogs I totally agree with you on your reasoning. We have so much on our minds that the 'little things' like ducking and dodging sometimes get missed. I am not poking fun, I promise. I find brusies on my arms, shin, thigh, wherever. Then (sometimes, most times not) remember that in passing, I bumped into something but was so busy I just kept going. B)

Archived