MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Quick Rolled Oats?

• 4 months later...

SPEAKING of Oats-what is the best way to store them? I'm a widow,live alone,if I buy the economical lg container of Quaker Old Fashioned,will it keep well in that container? or better in a glass container? freezer?

anyone?

thanks .:)

I put mine in a glass jar--otherwise, I end up feeding the bottom half of the box (enriched with weevils) to the chickens.

I have 2 questions to add to this thread-pretty much in line I think. 1--What exactly is the difference between old fashioned oats and quick oats? 2-Can whole oats be rolled with a rolling pin?

Autumn 7--The boiled cookies I have made have oats, peanut butter, chocolate and are boiled on the stove rather than baked in the oven.

I have 2 questions to add to this thread-pretty much in line I think. 1--What exactly is the difference between old fashioned oats and quick oats? 2-Can whole oats be rolled with a rolling pin?

To answer #1, quick oats are just more processed than old fashioned, so they cook quicker. I have no idea about #2...

To answer #1, quick oats are just more processed than old fashioned, so they cook quicker. I have no idea about #2...

Thanks Furbabymom! Do you know how they are processed? Sure would like to know if there is a really simple way to do it myself if I have access to whole oats!!!!

Here's how it goes with oats. Whole oats are the entire seed; the germ, the endosperm, and the bran, minus the hard outer husk. (That husk is what you see on the oats when you buy them at the feed store. We can get into the differences in whole oats, cracked oats, crimped oats, racehorse oats, and clipped oats some other time. ;) )

Irish oats are whole oats that have been broken into several pieces, like four or five. They cook quite slowly, but are slower to digest and therefore delay hunger for many people.

Rolled oats are whole oats that have been crushed and flattened between two high speed rollers. They expose more internal starch to the surface and it speeds cooking. These are the Old Fashioned oats you see in the grocery.

Quick cooking oats are whole oats that have been broken in several pieces before rolling. That creates yet more surface area for liquids to act upon.

Unfortunately it's pretty much impossible to roll your own oats. The rollers create a lot of pressure; think more like the old fashioned wringers on washers, machined to run very close. You can, however, crack your own in a mortar and pestle. It's not as uniform as whole oats, but they're tasty. Most mills, grinders, and food processors will give you something too fine, which cooks up into something more like gruel.

I hope this helps! :)

good info. I'd been wondering as oats are filling and cheap. I was wondering if there was a health difference between the Quaker "quick" oats and the "old fashioned". Didn't know it was just how crushed they were.

It seems that the quick oats would be better in a survival situation where one is trying to get the most out of food. As compared to a weight control diet where being "less digestible" may be a good thing.

Doesn't a flaker basically shave off pieces of the grain? So it's not really crushed flat, but sliced into thin slices, kind of like muesli?

Yes, rolled oats are simply oats that have been sort of crushed or ironed flat. The idea is it opens the bran and exposes more of the seed to digestive juices.

Since quick oats are first pieces of the oat seed, the little rolled bits are smaller than old fashioned rolled oats. They also expose more of the insides to cooking liquids; that's why they can cook in one minute. While they make a sort of goopy looking oatmeal cookie (lacking the definition of the old fashioned oats) they're pretty interchangeable as far as digestibility and utilization.

This awesome thread is why I love this forum so much! I'd never thought to ask these questions, even though I'd "kinda wondered".

I've been partial to the quick oats for my morning oatmeal-- I'm glad to know it's basically the same nutritional content as old-fashioned oats. Means I can store up the quick stuff that only needs boiling water and a couple of minutes.

As for storage. . . I haven't had any trouble with critters. Buuut, my stored oats are all in metal cans, of which I've used one and dump my quaker oats into that when I open them. The other cans are for long-term, SHTF plans, slowly rotated through every so often. Of course, being a single girl, it takes a long, long time to go through oats. . . lol

I don't think critters would be as much a problem as rancidity. You know how whole wheat flour gets that off smell after it's been stored awhile? While we don't tend to think of things like wheat and oats as having much in the way of oils, they do go rancid after they've set. Perhaps a smaller stash in a cool place and good rotation practices would serve us all best.

Since there are only two of us now, this is one of the main reasons I grind my own wheat flour. I hate having to run to the store all the time, and having enough wheat berries on hand and grinding as I go means I always have fresh flour.

And I have to admit, just from cruising around this board, I'm really liking what I see. Such awesome people with so much to offer! :)

Have you a recommendation for a manual grinder?

I haven't ever ground my own grains and don't mind spending money - but only want to do it once. Seems to me an electric one is silly, as it is for a time when there is no electricity.

I know a lot of people like the Diamant, but I didn't want to grind by hand. I looked at a Wolfgang and the Nutrimill, and since the Nutrimill was less money and was highly reviewed and recommended, I went with that. So far I'm very satisfied, as I wanted something that could grind finely and fast without overheating the grain, and it's an excellent value. I suppose I can run the generator if we really come to SHTF, but I'm one who doesn't see that as likely.

Archived