MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

So who's snowed in?

gofish

I can not remember the last time my work place closed.

There was a time when I was pregant in 1994. No wait that was a Saturday.

Well now I have to work this Saturday to make up for today.

What's the weather like where you live?

DH was afraid he'd be pushed into going to work, but the city declared a snow emergency and now even if the "manly men bosses" want them in, they can't.

That said, the two bosses can't get in due to badly drifted roads. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

One of the younger guys who lives closer made it in, but got stuck in the parking lot... only to be told that the emergency was called. :banghead:

DD doesn't have to work, so I get to stay home, too. LilDD has no school, and so the three of us will just "chill out" ( :shakinghead: ) here.

Still praying the power stays on for everyone.

So far it has missed us (again?)

They closed all the schools for today (did it yesterday) thinking we would be hit bad.

Now the kids have a snow day but no snow storm?

Only about 4 inches but no ice so far today.

Poor Lori still has to work and with no school every kid will be at the Library getting books (few), DVDs (lots), and using computers (faster then dialup), or just using it as a babysitter (parents).

So she will have a long afternoon but come home to a hot good homemade meal (that would be Me)

.................... off to clear the driveway and walkwalks for us and neighbors

:AmishMichael2:

Our experience is like Michael and Lori's. We got 3-4 inches of snow and a small amount of sleet (according to the weathercaster). I guess that the storm pushed further north about 50 miles, so it looks as though we dodged a bullet again! I am at home today because I planned for it, more than anything else. Since I walk part of the way to work, I was also worried about slipping and falling. Besides, I still have those chilblains to worry about. My fingertips are really hurting I'm hoping that my shipment of handwarmers & toe warmers arrives today so that I can go outside and help to shovel.

I'm stuck at home. Almost everything in town is closed except DH 's work and he left at 6am for a 7am to 7pm shift.

My laudry room is on the outside north wall of the house and my drain pipe keeps freezing ...:shakinghead:

I thought we had plenty of everything we might need and I realized last night that we were out of coffee...I can't believe I did that!!! DH will make a store run on his way home if I can't get DD's boyfriend to go....if he wants to come see her today it will cost him at least a pound or two of coffee...lol.

My son took my little car on monday to OKC to see his girlfriend and was suppose to come home today but I don't think that will happen. He is suppose to move to Houston tomorrow so he will be there Friday when the movers get there with his car and other stuff... I doubt that will happen.

The ice is so thick on all the roads and they aren't very good at dealing with all this mess around here so it will probably be awhile before the roads are cleared and safe..

Hope everyone stays safe and warm.

We are snowed in here though the storm has moved on. No one seems to know exactly what the official totals were because of the blowing and drifting but almost everything was shut down over night. No schools and most businesses closed too, at least until they can get things plowed out.

We live in the country and it appears we had about 16 inches of snow, most of it coming in just a few hours during the night. Our front door had a two foot drift against it and it opens out so we literally were snowed in there. Thankfully we have other exits from the house that open in or slide open.

The birds our thick at our feeders, desperately trying to find food. I can see why. It is so deep out there our standing plastic yard geese are barely peaking out of the snow. :grinning-smiley-044:

DH has the walkways cleaned off but will not attempt plowing the drive until the wind dies down some as it's still blowing the snow around. The electric is still on but some in the area are without. We are well stocked up and no place to go so today we'll just enjoy being inside.

I hope all the rest of you are fairing well. Tonight is supposed to be bitter cold at -10 so please, everyone, stay safe and warm.

:bighug2:

We are snowed and drifted in (no plows since late last night, no cars on the county road). Not sure what the total amount of snow is and it's still snowing and blowing. It looks like we are stuck in a snow globe. I think everything is shut down (I saw something that said the county declared a state of emergency last night). Some of the earlier snow measurements on the west side of Chicago were upwards of 17 inches. I now the little town next to us (kids are in our school district) had wind gust registering at 70 mph. Not sure it we had some ice mixed in or not last night/early this morning. It sounded like it but it could have been the snow beating against the house.

This is suppose to out of here this afternoon, I think 3 CST, but the bitter cold is moving in tonight and we have more snow showers forecast for the weekend.

Glad everyone who has been hit is doing alright and those of you that missed it, missed it.:bighug2:

we are snowed in here too...well, probably should call it COLDED in--(is that a word) :sHa_sarcasticlol: hubby is a welded, and it is too cold to weld--the welds will break if put on in this extreme cold--heated tents could be placed over the welding area to keep that from happening--but no one has those up here, so he is home (for the second day in a row) I went out the side door and cleaned the snow from in front of the front door and then it just iced up and now is frozen shut, so I give up :misc-smiley-231:

Hubby worked through the cold the first night, and he seems to have a little frostbite on his fingertips--they aren't black or anything, but he says they hurt pretty bad

I have my outside dogs in the quest room -30 is too cold for them--they seem to be doing ok--the guest room isn't heated yet but it is a lot better in there than outside

Glad everyone is making it so far :grouphug:

It isn't snow that is my problem. Couldn't get home from work last night, but lucky for me a hotel was only a block away so I stayed there instead of work. Work would have been cheaper but I didn't want to hang out there all day with me not working until 2pm. I was only able to walk on the ice because I keep walking poles with a sharp point on the end in my car. Rain is coming down and is actually melting the ice.of course snow will come to us this afternoon. Hope the rain doesn't freze first.

Ahhh we didn't get any snow :sad-smiley-012: Is it OK to say I was kinda looking forward to it! It was reportedly going to be snowmageddon but it was a pretty wimpy storm here. It was very windy and extremely cold so we have lots of drifting snow. I awoke to the sound of my farmer neighbour coming by with his tractor to plow out our driveway. :woohoo:

I finally live where we have all the bases covered if the power goes out and almost nothing happened :) Oh well there is sure to be a next time.

So it looks like , for the most part, we all made it OK.

Nobody last power so that is good..................

Well nobody posted that they lost power but then again IF they did they may not be able to post? LOL

around here they closed schools and now everyone is complaining seeing we got nothing but 3 inches of snow and for us thats the norm.

We even went out shopping this morning and the stores were empty?

After the 3rd one I asked the clerk - I guess everyone is home waiting for the storm that is NOT coming?

and she said Yesterday this place was mobbed with people grabing everything they could.

Down here in the SW we haven't gotten any snow, but you should have seen people wandering around today while temperatures were in the 30's and 40's for a high (very unusual in our "hot spot!")...I saw people with hats, gloves and scarves, people with down jackets, and even one person walking to the bus stop who was completely wrapped up in a blanket. LOL We're whimps!!!

Tonight the NWS put a Hard Freeze Warning on Maricopa county for the first time in history. We're supposed to get to 23 degrees. All of the plants that are not already frostbitten (not many) are definitely going to freeze now. :o

For those of you in less whimpy areas of the United States (where we Desert Rats would surely turn into shuddering human icicles), PLEASE stay warm and safe...I'll be praying for all of you tonight!

reminds me of all those pictures from down south when it snows 1/2 on the roads and the cars are going everywhere but down the street!

Can't wait for spring!

NO SNOW, yet! :whistling: According to the weather reports we can get winter mix (what is that???? snow, sleet and rain) tomorrow. Just praying it will pass us by and the Lord will send sunshine instead! Guess I should not be grumbling since so many are snowed in and having major problems. I do pray that everyone will be safe and warm. God bless all of you............ ;)

Schools here will be shut down for the rest of the week. There is no bread, eggs, or salt, etc. at the stores and they don't know when the trucks will be able to get here. The gas pumps are frozen at some of the stations and most businesses are closed except DH's plant.. People are iced/snowed in and I tried to contact all that I knew of to make sure they were ok. DS is suppose to get a UHaul tomorrow and move to Houston and I don't see that happening. We are doing good but see some areas that we need to improve.

Stay warm and be safe.

We are iced in. It rained first then froze. We got 7 inches of snow. The high today was13--suppose to be 6 tonight. Tomorrow the same and more snow predicted for Friday from the southwest. It may get up to 30 then. They say there is 4-6 inches of ice under the snow. We were without electricity this morning for 2 hrs because of the rolling power outage that the electrical companies are doing to try and keep the grid from going down. It was ok for about an hour but then it started getting cold, especially since the wind was blowing. We sure are not used to this. Makes us feel even more for the ones up north.

Nothing down south yet but they're saying that we may see snow tomorrow. And yep I'm so far south that 1/2" and we're down. I *hate* cold so I'm not looking forward to the weekend. At least it'll be worth being cold if we can see a little snow. Everyone stay safe and warm. :mornincoffee:

Another SW desert rat here sending my sympathies to those up north. Would you believe that we lost power this morning? We never did find out why. I shouldn't complain but we don't have heat and poor DH couldn't even make himself a cup of coffee. I was about to fire up the Coleman stove when the lights came back on.

We are having a hard freeze tonight so I hope my lettuce and herbs make it.

Archived