MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A Prayer Request

themartianchick

I mentioned on another thread yesterday that my family would be traveling to Philadelphia in a few days. We were notified early Friday morning that our niece had passed away. She was in her late 40's. In the past several years, she'd had many health issues that seemed to deal with her heart. At some point in the past month, she caught some sort of "cold" (we don't have any information on exactly what it was) and began to get worse. Her family kept trying to get her to go to the doctor, but she put it off. Her son caught the same thing. They were both hospitalized, but there was little hope of recovery for her. Her son is now improving.

At any rate, during the past few days, the family members in Philadelphia have been going through all of the normal, heart-wrenching emotions and decisions that any family goes through when there is a death. Yesterday, we found out that the family has decided to cremate her...Not because it was her wish...Not because their religion requires it but because, they don't have a choice financially. A regular burial will cost at least $7000 and they just don't have it.

Please keep our family in your prayers. While any unexpected death is tragic and can shake a family to its' core, this one will be especially difficult as the family comes to grips with the fact that their loved one will not be buried in the traditional way that they are accustomed to.

This morning, I was expressing my relief at the fact that we all have life insuance on our side of the family and that, if nothing else...if affords us choices at a time when a family is grieving.

Thank you all... I think that the family is starting to come around a bit. They are seeming to be a bit more accepting of the situation. The entire extended family is fairly religious, so they know that the body is merely a shell, so to speak. They've just never faced a situation like this. It has brought everyone closer together (hubby is one of 13 children) and that is a blessing, albeit one in disguise. We're all still dreading this trip but wanting to be there to support the immediate family. This is the first of this generation to pass away and we are all still shaken by the fact that it could have been any one of our own children. It always seems so wrong when parents have to bury a child.

Archived