MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Newbie from Oregon

Denanna

HI, I am from southern Oregon. I was looking at farming websites and found Darlene's. After an email conversation, I ended up here. I love it already! I canned for the first time last summer and cannot wait to do it again. I am very interested in learning how to do things the old fasion way. There is so much information here, I wish I could just read all day! I am looking forward to learning all I can, Not sure how to convince my husband though! LOL Take care :)

Nice to have you here, Denanna! My hubby wasn't immediately on board with everything that I wanted to do but he is pretty much on board now. He sees the value in having a home that is stocked up and sustainable.

Do you live in an urban, suburban or rural environment now?

Thanks for the welcomes. Right now, we are living in a mobile home park. My husband and I and three girls, one of which is going to have a baby boy any time now! She is due on the 21st so we are anxiously waiting! I am hoping and praying though that we will soon have a place out away from the city, with enough room to have a good garden and some animals. I don't see how that could happen soon but if it's what God wants, it is certainly possible!

Hi Denanna, welcome here. There is a lot of info on the board, you can spend days just searching any topic you'd like.

Since you may not have space for a garden where you live, have you heard of vertical gardening?

Recently saw someone who creatively took one of those shoebags made of plastic, hung on a wall and each pocket filled with vegetables and earth.

I have looked around some, there is so much! The canning I did was mostly tomato sauce and fruits but I am curious about meats and soups. Anyone know where I could find more recipes? I saw a few on here. Of course I have to dig in the shed for the pressure canner my mother-in-law swears she gave me. If you guys weren't so far away I would want to come visit for a week so I could learn hands on, LOL :) I do have 2 small raised beds that I grew some fall veggies in and am hoping to get prepared for spring/summer soon. Of course it won't hold everything I want to grow, but it's a start. My husband made some planter boxes on the porch that I have herbs in.

Archived