MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How some of you helped !!!

Violet

Here are some of the graduates of my low income class ! You can see the smiles as to how happy they were. Thanks again to all of you who helped. We canned many jars of all kinds of things.

I will be doing another low income project soon so any lids left will be used then.

post-1399-042426500 1314840207_thumb.jpg

Nice to see that there's at least one guy in it, too! I find men who can are more adventurous and less fearful. (So ya really need to stress the *right* ways to do things! ;) )

So do you still have a need for more? This one came at a really rough time for me, so I didn't help. But if you'll need more, I might be able to do it.

What a happy crowd! Like Cat, I'd love to help next time but I don't have an excess of jars or lids. In fact I've been watching the sales and getting my coupons in a row so that I can buy some more. Please post any time that you need something. Maybe, I can help in another way.

On a side note- I was in Wegman's grocery store last night and they actually had a video demonstration playing near the Ball display. While seeing the video was pretty exciting, I thought that it was a sign of the times that there actually WAS a Ball display. In prior years, the canning jars were just on a regular shelf next to the Sure-Jell. This time they had low tables in the seasonal section with stacks and stacks of jars and lids. I guess that I've led a sheltered life, though. I didn't realize what the regular retail price of lids was. I've always caught them on sale at the end of the season for pennies!

I am glad you liked the photo. I had 2 men, but one was gone during that part of the day. The one man gone is one of the deaf students. He was among the most enthusiastic !

It depends upon whether I will get the next series set up for the low income as to whether or not I need more lids. There are people working on getting a location lined up.

Mike, it would be a matter of finding a location, people to donate jars, lids, produce, and any other ingredients. Have LOTS of clean towels as you go through piles of them. You need basic canning equipment and cooking utensils. It takes a lot of items.

Just one thing you need to also discuss is liabililty insurance. I have insurance through work. Otherwise I would have to find some way to provide my own.

This group is starting a Canning Club now since the classes. There is also an online Yahoo group for them and I also have access to their online group. Someone has already said they will donate corn for them to blanch and freeze.

Archived