MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pickles took 4th place

carr

DH took a couple of jars of his dill pickles slices and to the family reunion this summer for the silent auction back home. He talked with his aunt last night and found out she entered his pickles in the county fair where both sides of his family go back three generations.

He was thrilled to learn his pickles took 4th place in a crowded field. I did pickled okra last year, but this was the first time either of us did dills!!!

I've attached a photo of his pickles and of the rotel tomatoes I did (cause they were both on my phone!!!) I don't think the tomatoes made it home though .. we didn't have enough of those to share!!!

post-1886-092513200 1317743013_thumb.jpg

post-1886-096511900 1317743066_thumb.jpg

thanks Violet .. a canning complement from you is like getting another ribbon!!

lol AH ... I hadn't thought of that!! DH will get a kick out of it!!

If they taste as good as they look! They look fantastic.

Well done you.

thanks so much!

Carr-they just had the West Texas fair here and the paper said they had more entries this year than they have had in the past several years. Tell hubby next year he can experiment on even more delightful jars of food.

Well congratulations! Can/will you share your recipes? I'm new at trying to preserve stuff and still trying to get crisp anything - dill, bread/butter, sour pickles. I don't have a canner yet, so making pickles in the refrigerator. Thanks, Reb

• 2 months later...

Martha ... I'lll be sure to look out for that ... and I told DH what you said .. he's up for it!!! Reb ... we either used the recipe in the Ball Blue Book or in So Easy to Preserve from the University of Georgia.

thanks Arby!!!

Archived