MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Militia Cookbook

Jeepers

I did a search and didn't see this one listed. Maybe it's under a different name.

There are some really good ideas for emergency cooking and recipes that were used during the pioneer and war days.

I was hesitant to post it because it deals with domestic animals. :sad-smiley-012:

Fluffy and Fido may have to fend for themselves at my house but I could never eat them. Of course, if your dog came over... :grinning-smiley-044:

A reminder if TSHTF, guard your pets.

http://survival-training.info/Library/Food%20Storage/Emergency%20Food%20Preparation%20-%20Unknown.pdf

now, now....i am told that rat tastes kinda like squirrel. Made sense to me, but not enough to go try it....!

I 'liked' the idea of clay cooking. There is a ton of hard red clay around here. Just mix some up, encase your critter in it, place same clay-encrusted critter into the coals and let cook. :campfire: When you think it is ready, break apart the clay casing and the hair/fur/scales of whatever you cooked peels away with the clay. :darlenedance:

At least, its supposed to.:ashamed0002:

Anybody want to try it and report back?????? :whistling:

Welll, since YOU said YOU liked the idea of clay cooking, and YOU have a lot of clay, I nominate YOU to be the first to try it.

See, we all discussed it while you were sleeping --------> :gathering: Are ya gonna use a cat?

Be sure to let us know how it turns out! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I 'liked' the idea of clay cooking. There is a ton of hard red clay around here. Just mix some up, encase your critter in it, place same clay-encrusted critter into the coals and let cook. :campfire: When you think it is ready, break apart the clay casing and the hair/fur/scales of whatever you cooked peels away with the clay. :darlenedance:

I've tried this with fur, scales, and feathers. Didn't work.

I did a search and didn't see this one listed. Maybe it's under a different name.

There are some really good ideas for emergency cooking and recipes that were used during the pioneer and war days.

I was hesitant to post it because it deals with domestic animals. :sad-smiley-012:

Fluffy and Fido may have to fend for themselves at my house but I could never eat them. Of course, if your dog came over... :grinning-smiley-044:

A reminder if TSHTF, guard your pets.

http://survival-training.info/Library/Food%20Storage/Emergency%20Food%20Preparation%20-%20Unknown.pdf

I've had grain-fed rat, which wasn't awful. I've used goat recipes for dog and would do it again, although goat is safer to eat because the animal is an herbivore rather than a scavenger. I'd much rather have dog than possum. Possum's sole recommendation is that it has calories, if you can force the meat down and hold it down. But yeah--your dog is going to taste a lot better than mine, especially if yours is sniffing my chickens.

I've tried this with fur, scales, and feathers. Didn't work.

Thank you for saving me becoming the victim of my own experiment! :misc-smiley-231::bouquet:

Thanks Jeepers! Loved the corntack recipe! And cornmeal dumplings!

well now, I guess I am off to find that recipe for cornmeal dumplings!

Just put more dent corn through the grinder and was about to look for a good recipe and seeing we both LOVE cornmeal and Dumplings.

Also making chicken stew this weekend so guess what will be added to the meal. LOL

:AmishMichael2:

oh I would certainly eat squirrel and there are plenty.....outside..... in fact I was learning about various easy traps and snares and such written many decades ago, these ebooks on kindle.... via amazon..... Ive gotten several of these hunting books and such..... also some wartime cookery and other books..... not sure this book you got is like those?

Can you post the hardtack recipe? Thankyou.

ok, looked up and saw the link for the pdf.

The Swedish hardtack recipe sounds really good. Also there is no reason why you couldn't add tvp to the recipe to increase the protein levels if you have it when you are prepping a bunch of hardtack, for an emergency bar thats going to be sturdy in any pack.

Remember you can soften these crackers up by using water in a bowl or cup with the biscuit in it if you can't bite it and chew it, when it comes to hardtack.

oh, and I really really don't want to eat my cat. :grinning-smiley-044: There are lots of varmints here.... some not as tasty as others Im sure..... I would try and not eat my cat and would do what I could do to keep her fed along with me as there is so much outside if needed. Skunk is not so great either but there are ways to snare them and kill them without them blowing their scent at all. Still... heard that meat is not so great.

and the hush puppy recipe is something I was definitely looking for!

So, I recently read about using rat traps to catch things we would normally not eat. Drill a hole in one end of the trap and attach it with twine to an object that can't be tugged away. This way, the animal is caught in the trap, and the trap is kept where you want it and cannot be carried off. You can set up several traps and then throw out feed corn for crows, rooks, and squirrels.

Happy eating all. Got rat traps in your preps?

well to tell you the truth - I never thought of putting a large rat trap in our bob's in case - :smiley_shitfan:

But they are flat (so pack easy) and you never know WHAT you are going to need out there?

Like the idea of adding string to trap so it stays put! - will do that before packing.

Who know how hard things light get and if nothing else it would help keep critters out of our food supply!

Another great idea!

thanks-

:AmishMichael2:

I've had fried squirrel and fried rabbit when I was younger. I'll admit I liked the gravy better that the meat. I've heard possum is greasy but don't know first hand. I'm not much of a meat eater. Rat stew might not be so bad. I'd have to be starving to eat it though because of disease. What is it Hanta Virus? :shrug:

Archived