MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Creek rose again

CrabGrassAcres

Hoping it doesn't get high enough to take the fences down. It washed away the goose nests already. Have the goats out and up on the hill, praying the nasty neighbor doesn't bother them. (I don't have any high ground inside a fence for them.) ALso praying my waterline across the creek doesn't snap again. I can hear the water running past the house right now, but the house isn't in any danger since we elevated it.

Awwww, CGA..you are just not catching a break! Kinda hard to see the land when it keeps going under water. But.....God must have some plan in mind. Giving the rest of your land a good drink of water for GREAT grass this summer. :shrug:

You stay safe now! Praying that God will let you know how carefully He has His hands about you and DD and your critters.

MtRider [....um, were the geese setting? :o ]

Edited to add....... Oh My Gosh.....I just got the pic to open. No wonder the fencing keeps getting torn loose. [we have to somehow straighten T-posts in a marshy-then-frozen area and they are all sticking sideways by now :( ] Aaiiiieeeee! What a mess! How do you even get out to do feeding/milking? Do you have waders and a cane? ...{not EVEN gonna ask about snakes :shakinghead: } (((((CGA))))))) :pray:

Mt_Rider, the ramp behind where I was standing to take the pic ends on a high area and we can run up the hill if the water comes up any more. This actually isn't real high water today! It has been much deeper. If you can see the little building thru the trees, almost hidden by the house, that is where the goats like to run for shelter in a storm. Last time it had several feet of water in it and I had to get some kind neighbors to rescue them. Today it quit raining and I got them up the hill at sunrise before the water rose. I milked early today! Last time it flooded I had to sit on a bucket and tie the does to a fence to milk. Not my idea of fun, I prefer my milkstand.

We should have a smiley of someone being dragged out by their hair! I don't want to go again!!!:gaah: But if we have to we will be the first ones out!:rolleyes:

And I'm glad you are safe! Sorry about the mud. I'll be wearing my rainboots for a few days!!!

CGA I am glad the water has gone down. I was wondering something. Would there be a way to build up a high mound with enough square yardage in it, shored up with strong supports, to maintain the strength of the mound against that kind of water moving through when it floods , to provide a high place for the goats and dogs to get up on when this type of flooding happens in the future?

Or are you just waiting to sell the place for now?

I thought of that when you posted the pics.

Miki good luck on finding a better abode soon.

Had you both in mind along with my son , not sure if his home has been ok, but I guess if it was real bad in their neighborhood where they are they would have called by now to let me know it. Probably did run into detours and such in Dallas and Fort Worth however this morning if they could even get in to work , wherever that is as I don't know which school he is student teaching at and well, Penny never complains. So I guess as long as the Bassett hounds, one being a foster dog ( and breakin his heart while fostering it cause they bond really well and then there is Basil, their own , don't get stuck in too deep water and the Harleys dont get washed away, they can deal with anything else that happens.)

Its a bit late tonight and I ended up taking a nap this evening earlier so I missed the decent time frame to try and call to see if they were fine. Guess I try tomorrow instead. No phone call from them already is probably good news, at this point.

I got some helpful tips and info I needed to help my own dilemma these days and will start the stuff for all that. It took some adjustments in my own thinking but it was nice to find there were still ways I could manage some stuff better and help build my own local support system up a bit better and maybe things would be more dependable and I would get help with the advocacy factor I really need on some matters that have been made so difficult. That means things get done right.

I also found out our most local state senator is addressing some of the most severe problems here in our community and region as well because she had noticed and she is kind enough to listen. Some of that has made the national news a couple times and I let the person who actually has taken on my volunteer level lobbying know some critical details about how serious it was and I know she will let her know. She herself had had to be a person also hurt by this very matter in the last few years too, so I know one of the things I would like to help with, is already being done and that makes me feel better because it affects alot of folks here and everyone in general really on a couple important levels and also found out she was working as well on more VA doctors with real experience and abilities ( and a more appropriate attitude) to be here more permanently and such. So that was a third thing that sounds like improvements are being made finally.

Actually that was two good sincere intelligent peers taking on these things and it was so nice to hear about the progress actually.

That is a relief. A huge one! so, that eases my own heart some and gives me some hope that these things that are actually some of the big problems I have had getting things done with any adequate level at all are being dealt with and I hope to see some positive results soon. It is all way overdue for sure! So I am glad I was able to find this stuff out. A dose of hope is a good thing!

I know there's plenty of folks in that area of TX that had so much rain today and last night. Hoping everyone was ok. Looks like the drought conditions in east TX are being reduced very rapidly at this point at least.

Hope everyone is dry and safe. It's almost here. Almost all the area schools are closed in anticipation of the storm. We've got a tornado watch until noon. That's the scary part, because there's only 1 "safe" place within 10 miles or so of here. Please pray for those flooded last week. They are looking like they might get hit hard again.

Arby, I just need to get moved. Other reasons besides the flooding. If I were staying here I'd probably hire a neighbor with a machine to dig a big tank and use the earth to 'fix' the flooding problems, but I really cannot stay here longer.

Praying for others in the path of this storm system!

CGA - Hope you're dried out and the mosquitoes haven't carried you off! They are pretty bad here.

Miki - Hope you stayed dry!

We missed the worst part of the storm. It stalled out in the state line area and they got hit pretty hard with over a foot of rain and tornadoes. I hope the guy that was at work offshore was called before they plastered his house on the news! What a horrible way to find out if no one had contacted him. Here it was a typical stormy day because once the storm started moving, it moved out pretty fast. Who says prayers don't work?!? :pray::amen: Continuing them for the ones that were affected. :pray:

The creek came up somewhat yesterday but still had 4 or 5 feet to be up on the bank. So glad we are still dry! Has the water gone down now for you all?

Windmorn--hope you enjoy your seminar about edible plants!

Archived