MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Types Of Rice

I'm confused about different kinds of rices. I think they were listed here once before but I can't find the thread. I want some rice for the dried meal-in-a-jar type recipes but I don't know which kind to get.

What are the differences among instant rice, minute rice, parboiled rice and converted rice?

Also, if storing away rice for long term storage, which one of the above would be best? I already have a lot of regular rice put away but I'd think the quicker cook type would take less time, energy and water.

we use all of them for differant recipes, have 'minute rice' on hand for quick meals and to add to homemade soup to make it go further.

==HINT==

If you have a problem with pantry moths or just want to be safe - Put a bayleaf into any jars of rice, flour or noodles and they stay away!

So jars we tape it to the inside of the lid but most just toss it in , remove before making pancakes! (ask Lori what I did with 'breakfast-in-bed' to show her how much I loved her - LOL)

We also have little baggies with holes punched in them, filled with bayleaf and taped inside the doors on our cabinetes. Sure bets using those traps ($$$$)

:AmishMichael2:

I missread / missintrepeted the title. But I think my tidbit will kick in...

There are twenty seven different types of rice, per the Farmers Cyclopedia of Agriculture, 1911. But considering the age of that classic, there are probably more now.

But you were asking about prepared, not species. Sorry.

Is 'dehydrated' available in your English stores?

For long term storage of the rice itself, dry full grain. If in a prepared 'dry' recipe (soup mix, ramien, 'Uncle Bens', etc) dehydrated. In a 'wet' recipe, I do not think it makes a difference. If a wet recipe, I usually use full grain, which takes longer to cook, but more wholesome.

Sarah

of the Librum

Edited by Sarah

Thanks Cat. That was the one thread I found. I still don't know the difference between minute rice and instant rice. Or converted and parboiled. Guess I need to go to the grocery store and read a few boxes of Uncle Ben's. :shopping:

Oh, maybe Uncle Ben has a website! I'll try that later too.

Sarah thank you too. I do have a bunch of whole rice stored and I really like it. I'm just looking into the quick heat and serve for an urgent emergency and to go with my dried veggies. I don't think we have dehydrated rice on the store shelves here but I did see a Youtube video where a woman made her own by cooking the whole rice and then using her dehydrator to dry it. That's an option too.

I always thought parboiled and converted were the same things. I store that by preference, since it has more nutrients than plain rice while not going rancid as fast as brown rice.

I always thought parboiled and converted were the same things. I store that by preference, since it has more nutrients than plain rice while not going rancid as fast as brown rice.

From what i have read they are the same. I had to look this up a while back for a recipe. I wasn't sure what converted rice was.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-converted-rice.htm

Parboiled and converted are the same. The rice is steamed in the husk before the husk is removed and more of the natural vitamins stay in the grain. It cooks up a bit faster than long grain but stays as separate grains unless you way overcook it. I use it mostly because I hate gooey, sticky rice.

Minute is a brand name for an instant rice. You don't have to cook instant rice. You can add hot liquid to it and let it set a short time and eat or you can add cool liquid and let it set for a longer period and then eat it. Haven't used it in a long time. Use it when you really will not be able to cook because you don't have the fuel.

There are many, many kinds of rice.

I think what I'm going to do is cook up some of my regular rice and then dehydrate it to make some healthier 'instant' rice. I've already got a bunch anyway. Is that a plan or am I missing something?

If that works out I think I'll experiment with adding herbs to the cooking water. Herbs like rosemary or turmeric or garlic. Maybe some lemon pepper rice. Add those rices to some dried veggies?

I've kept my dehydrator busy the last few months with vegetables. I'm going to get my second one back from my son next week so I can do a bigger batch rice. That might be interesting since he used it to dry HOT HOT HOT peppers.

Yeah, I'm thinking more along the lines of a bug out situation. Just add water.

I also use rice to extend meals. I like it served under beef stew or Chinese food. If I got hungry enough I'd try it under the sloppy joe's I have canned to extend them too.

I keep a supply of dehydrated rice, especially brown rice, in my supplies for the very reason that 'heat' and 'water' may be of limited availability in a bug-out situation. I especially like that it can be added directly to another food with liquid in it without having to be cooked separately.

You can also put instant rice in a thermos, and then add boiling water, plug it, and let it go. You'll have a meal before long. Just make sure you make it the 1 part rice to 2 parts water...maybe a bit more water if you want it more pourable. If you prefer, when it's done...make it a breakfast by adding some diluted evaporated milk, some honey, some cinnamon and some raisins...wahlah! You can buy the small cans of evap. milk for an "on the go" situation. Bag up the other ingredients, and if you can't find the little packets of honey, may have to use stevia or agave packet.

Philbe,

You just pushed another of my buttons. We at the Librum have been in negotiation with the family of Kurt Saxon for some time to obtain the rights to his works. Mr Saxon is now in a home, and his books/disks are out of publishment. If you can overlook his politics, he has some great material in there.

Let me do a quickie... My hidden index says...<ding!>...Thermos cookery “Cooking Tools”, S1 pg 210. Translation is: 'Thermos cooking' is in 'Cooking Tools' article, in Survivor Volume 1, page 210.

So, if you can find a copy of his 'Survivor' volume one, go for it!

Sarah

of the Librum.

Noreens Kitchen on Youtube has a pretty lengthy description of different kinds of rice you may enjoy. I have "some" long grain stored and a little of the instant brown, but my main rice is instant long grain white. Cooks so very quickly, even in a thermos, and doesn't require the lengthy boiling which uses a lot more fuel.