MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Made a tough decision

When we moved to TX hubby promised me I could be Susie Homemaker and I would not have to work. He has been true to his word and I have been happy and content until recently. He makes decent money but I have not been able to do some things I really wanted because I could not justify spending the money. We are trying to save up and buy a house and my wants seemed trivial in our best interest. So starting Monday I will be rejoining the work force, much to his dismay. But with everything happening and food prices rising daily I feel we need the extra income to get get ahead and be better prepared. So the garden will not get as much TLC as I had hoped and I will not be doing as much sewing as I want and the quilting will go slower than I had planned but it will all get done. I will just have to manage my time better.

However, what will happen is the house fund will grow faster, the larder will get restocked faster and that motorcycle he wants will be purchased sooner and I will have a slush fund again. I have made out a budget based on what they told me my salary will be and I foresee weekend trips to the big city to SAMs, Hancock Fabrics, and well I think the camper shell will just have to go back on the truck and stay there. LOL

If you don't have children at home that need your supervision, and you're still quite a long way from retirement, I think keeping you toe in the work force is probably an extremely wise decision. Jobs are so hard to find these days & you don't want to find yourself hunting a job when you're 50 or 55! We all know that leaning our ladder up against any company is not a good idea (because they can goes toes up very quickly) so make your money while you can! I worked until the death of my first husband, and then worked part time and drew social security along with it until the death of my last employer. Then I just flat retired. Things can happen friend, so again...make the money while you can!

Oh, (((((Momma)))))), I hope you enjoy the job. :pray:

If I could, I would also. The cost of everything, is taking such a chunk out of DH's retirement, leaving us with less every month. I have trouble seeing how we can keep up with it all.

If you don't have children at home that need your supervision, and you're still quite a long way from retirement, I think keeping you toe in the work force is probably an extremely wise decision. Jobs are so hard to find these days & you don't want to find yourself hunting a job when you're 50 or 55! We all know that leaning our ladder up against any company is not a good idea (because they can goes toes up very quickly) so make your money while you can! I worked until the death of my first husband, and then worked part time and drew social security along with it until the death of my last employer. Then I just flat retired. Things can happen friend, so again...make the money while you can!

ROFL Philbe I am 50 I turned 50 this past year.

Well I survived the first day. They seem like really nice folks and I felt right at home today. After I got there the first day jitters disappeared. I was able to step right in and pick up and run with ball.

m2...we all knew you would! I can see you're glad you went ahead and made the decision to step back into the work force. None of us ever knows when our spouse will get called home or at what age. As much as we love each other, we still need to prepare to live and take care of ourselves if we need to. That's one reason we decided to shelter in place. I wouldn't want to be living alone in the boonies.

• 2 weeks later...

I just gotta say I LOVE MY JOB. It is the best job I have ever had and the best paying job I have ever had. After two weeks it feels like I have been there forever. Everyone has accepted me, I keep hearing "We are so glad you are here" The stress that I had the other job is not here. The back biting and favoritism that was at the other job is not here. I have never had a job like this and I am loving it. Oh I miss being home and having the laundry caught up all the time and dinner on the table when hubby comes home but that's ok I am going to do a major grocery shopping trip and order some freeze dried food and make up some meals in jars. OAMC here I some again LOL. I have got to get a freeze so I can stock it. Our small upright didn't make the trip the youngest son snagged it when we moved. They had just been given a deer and no where to put it. Not having a house on this end when we moved I really didn't want to bring the freezer and put it in storage so it stayed behind. Next week's task....get busy finding recipes and make out menus. Summer won't be too bad since hubby is the grill king. We grill everything for the week on Sat or Sun and then just warm it up during the week. That way we don't waste charcoal.