MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Beans, Beans, good for your heart, the more you eat them the more you.....

So if your food storage is not anything like mine, you have a wide variety of dry beans. I on the other hand am heavy on the black bean side. We love them. I make everything from refried beans to burgers with them. I found this page when I was looking for a pulled pork recipe and well it is one of my go to sites. I even get email updates from him. Recently he posted 15 bean recipes. So if you would like to add a little pizzazz to your beans and like Mexican food this is a great place to start.

https://www.mexicanplease.com/15-easy-recipes-can-make-beans/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Beans, beans

The musical fruit

The more you eat

The more you toot

The more you toot

The better you feel

So let's have beans 

For every meal. 

I can remember that from grade school but can't remember what I had for supper last night. Probably brussel sprouts.  :D

• Haha 3

My aunt Linda used to sing the beans beans song above and also:

Beans Beans

Good for your heart

the more you eat

the more you fart.

the more you fart

the better you feel

so eat those beans

every meal.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Mother said:

Add some grain and you have the beginnings of a complete protein.  Yep!

Tortillas are so easy to make. They are time consuming and really a two person job. But cheap and easy. I mix the dough and roll them out. Hubby cooks them and stacks them. 

• Like 4

Tortillas fast:  Make the dough then use the flat pasta roller attachment for the kitchenaid.  Fry on a large electric griddle like you would pancakes for too many people.  It goes very fast that way and the rolling doesn't hurt your hands.  

• Like 2

I like knowing how to cook things on cast iron over an open fire;   I also like knowing how to cook things in a coffee pot, iron, or random heat source.  But if they are available, I like my conveniences, and an electric griddle is up there because my family are bottomless pits.    I've frozen pancakes and waffles for years -- the less deep waffles freeze better.  The deeper ones get a little tough after freezing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I love my cast iron cookware.   I have dozens of them in different sizes including waffle makers and griddles.  I usually use the griddles on our gas stove top but I do use the smaller griddles on my glass top electric stove, being careful not to move them around a lot of course so they don't scratch.  I have made hundreds of pancakes, not to mention eggs, bacon, burgers, and etc, over an open fire with my bigger griddles and pans when feeding crowds of people.  I love cooking over an open fire and have made anything that can be baked in an oven or stove top but when I'm wanting to put things in the freezer like pancakes, burgers, eggs, or tortillas I go for my older electric griddle.   It's non-stick, probably one of the first ones that came out, and works beautifully with little if any fat. And it's light weight compared to the cast iron ones so, unlike those, I can still handle it with my arthritic hands. :)

Euphrasyne I like the idea of making tortillas with a pasta roller. Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Like 3

I never gave much thought to an electric griddle before. But recently I was watching a video of a woman using one for pancakes and it looked like a good idea for making more than 1-2 at a time. Plus bacon and eggs etc. She has a large family and freezes alot. Her name is something like Jamerrill.

Waffle irons are pretty inexpensive. I saw one that cost a little more ($63.00) but it is a Krups and makes four big waffles and the plates remove for washing. Probably worth the extra money. Kitchen items are where my stimulus check is going. 

I thought I had all the kitchen things I wanted, except for a bread machine, but I keep seeing more things that I hadn't thought about. Dang it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have a waffle iron and use my cast iron pans a lot. I want to make up a fire pit just for cooking. I have part of the things to do it, just need a couple of other things to go with it. SIL is going to get it together for me this spring when they are down for granddaughter's wedding. So I need to order the tripod and the grate so everything will be here when they come in.  I also want to get one of those indoor grills like they have been showing on TV. That would be nice for rainy and really cold days. Don't have an electric griddle but do have a griddle pan that fits over 2 burners on stove that I use. Stove is gas and it works great.

• Like 2
On 1/20/2021 at 2:16 PM, Jeepers said:

Oh yeah, and flat bread. I'd like to learn more about tortillas.

I cheat and use http://whitewingsbrand.com/tortilla-mix/ you just add water. The hotter the water the better not boiling but it needs to be hot.

Mix it up, cover with plastic wrap let it set for a few minutes then make golf ball size balls cover with camp cloth. (you have to keep the dough from drying out) and roll out thin. I mean really thin as in you can read bold print through it. I use a large iron skillet on med heat and hubby swishes it until it starts to brown then he flips it and repeats process. We then stack them in side a folded kitchen towel and put in side a 2 gallon plastic bag. 

To use warm, stuff and enjoy.

Edited by mommato3boys
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Corn Tortillas:

2c cornmeal

1T oil

1/2 t salt

1 1/2 c hot water. 

Mix into a ball,  Cut into 16 pieces and roll rounds.   Fry about 2m per side.

Flour tortillas:

3 c flour

1 t salt

1t baking powder

1/3 c oil

1 c hot water.

Mix into a ball and divide into 16 pieces.  Roll flat.  Allow to rest 15m to 1 hour.  (don't skip this).   Fry about 1-2m per side.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1