MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Not A 'Nature' Related Question But An Rx one

Friday I was prescribed Prednisone for my eardrum. It was finally filled today. I am supposed to take 6 pills a day for 7 days. Then 4 pills a day for 3 days etc. etc. My question is do I take the 6 pills all at once or do I space them out throughout the day? Same with the 4 pills etc. It's a two week regimen so I'd like to get on with it and get it done. 

Problem is, it's Christmas Eve and tomorrow will be Christmas Day and there are no doctors in to ask. The clinic is closed as is the pharmacy. So no one to ask until the third day. Ear doctor didn't make it clear how I was supposed to take them. Only that I reduced the number of pill after week one. The bottle doesn't say either.

Sheesh. 6 x 7 = 42 Prednisone in one week

Then 4 x 3 = 12, another 2 x 2 = 4, then 1 x 2 = 2 for a total of 18 the last week. A grand total of 60 pills in 2 weeks.

Thats a lot of Prednisone for what is now a small hole in the eardrum. IMO  :shrug:

Anyone have any experience with taking that many Prednisone in one day? All at once or spaced out?  

I've never taken that many pills, of one kind, all at once before. Is that a thing?

• Like 2

I found this….

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/prednisolone/how-and-when-to-take-prednisolone-tablets-and-liquid/#:~:text=How to take it,all at the same time.

i wouldn’t be comfortable taking them all at once but then I react badly to most medications and in particular Prednisone.  Perhaps you should see what the mg’s are per tablet.  It might not be a high a dose as it sounds.  Or conversely, as the hole is closing you might just wait until Tuesday to ask your doctor.  :shrug: 

• Like 2

Thank you Mother! The link helped. I did a search but I didn't see that one. 

Since mine are only 10 mg. each I guess 6 at once isn't over the top. I've taken Prednisone before. In fact she gave me 5 days worth when I first went in a couple of months ago. I took it back in February when I had bronchitis. Or maybe it was when I had a reaction to Ampicillin.  Anyway, I've never had an issue with it. I'm going for it. 

• Like 2

Jeepers, the way they are supposed to be taken is take 6 at one time. the next day 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 and done. Every time I had to take them that was the instructions from the doctors. 

If he has you on a 2-week supply to take them then it does get spread out more but taking all 6 at one time should not hurt, you. But, beware, they do make you eat. 

Edited by Littlesister
That's a long time to take.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DH was prescribed one of those blister pack things of pred early this summer for poison ivy (it has spread to his face).  I think the instructions said to break up the dosages.  Like the day he was to take six--2 in the am, 2 lunchish, 2 later in the afternoon.    I hate being on pred as it makes me very jittery...and I don't sleep much.   DD noticed some jitteryness and tried to keep his dosages away from near bedtime.  

I think you should wait to start taking it until you can get ahold of your doctor's office or pharmacist to see what is recommened for you, though.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 1

Dang it OOTO, I already took the first dose. Sigh. 

Make me eat more? Lawsy I'm in big trouble then. I got a large pizza on the way back from the pharmacy this afternoon. I already ate half of it. A LARGE pepperoni, mushroom and onion pizza. Boredom eating probably but I have a love hate issue with food anyway. This is before I even took any of the pills.  

I remember my cousin taking it for kidney failure and she looked bloated with the typical 'moon-face' appearance. Of course she was on it long term. I'll give it 2 weeks if it will help the hole heal all the way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My version has the days and times printed on the packet.....but it's a 6 day regime.  First day is 6 pills BUT....spread out from b/4 breakfast .....to bedtime.  The next day is 5......spread out.  4..... .etc til the last day I take one pill.

A 2 wk 'script ......?????

Did no one at the pharmacy print instructions?  Sheeesh, we get a big wad of papers with every 'script.  Really OVER explains things even if you've had the 'script for years.  The pharmacist should have explained on a new 'script. 

MtRider  :darthduck:    

• Like 3

Well, that's pretty clear ...except about taking the 6 tablets all in one handful or spread out.  It appears to say just chug them down in the morning. 

Do your's taste AWFULLY BITTER?   :yuk:     I always try to land them in the center of the tongue..towards the back where taste buds are scarce.  Blech!!!

Sure hope this does your ear some good.  Will it kick of up another UTI?  

MtRider  :hug3: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
up ...not 'of'
  • Like 3

Two weeks' worth better heal that ear drum. There are several different ways to take it and every way has a different way of doing it. You can just spread the 6 out with each meal and split them up into 3 does for the 6 pills and so on. I don't see where it would make any difference. But yes, you can take the 6 pills all at once. If they make you jittery, then I would definitely split them into the 2 now, then 2 at lunch and then 2 at dinner. And yes, when they get into your system good your appetite will increase. Everyone I know that has taken them complained about that. And the bitter taste.

I didn't notice them tasting bitter but I took them with a big drink of pumpkin spice latte from Dunkin Donuts. I just happened to have it on hand.  :whistling: 

I thought about another UTI on them. Sigh. Last time I was in the doctors office I told them do not prescribe me anything except Cipro for a UTI because nothing else work for me. So we'll see. I treated myself the last time with fish med after he gave me something that didn't work. I told him about it in "My Chart" but he never responded. I have plenty in my stash now so I'm covered if he bucks up. You'd think I was asking for f*nt*nyL   

• Sad 3

Jeepers, never let doctors know you are taking fish antibiotics. Once it is in your chart, I hate to say it but that into stays there. And they then know you are treating yourself that could lead to fish antibiotics being pulled from everywhere and can only get through a vet or something. We do have to be careful what we do these days. Eyes seem to be everywhere. 

• Like 2

Oh, I didn't tell them that!!! I just told them to not prescribe anything for me but Cipro for a UTI because nothing else works. I only mentioned  I used and fish meds on here. I never want him to think I can get anything on my own because (among other reasons) I want him to prescribe for me as much as he is willing so I can rotate my stock. I fill all the meds he is willing to prescribe. I also don't want him to think I 'doctor shop'. Which I don't. He knows every other doctor I've seen. They are all in the same system.

I was talking to DIL's father at Thanksgiving and he said it's hard to find a doctor, much less a good doctor, over there too. He is a couple of years older than I am. :sigh:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We do what we have to do as things in this country get worse. After all we are just going with the flow.  If our meds are getting harder to get filled, we get very stingy. We do what we have to survive. Don't even ask me what I have done. As I haven't figured out some of it. But I can say my supply is looking good for RX's.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I think the docs might be wanting to hit the 'whatever' HARD .......a medicinal "sucker punch"?? 

MtRider ....just a theory, mind you.  Look up on WebMD???

What are we supposed to look up? I looked up 'sucker punch' and it was a product for removing suckers from plants. I don't think I was on the 'wight twail while hunting the waskally wabbit Doc.'

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If you're still on the topic of taking a huge number of pills initially and then gradually wind down....that's what I was talking about. 

Can't tell if you're kidding....you know the term 'sucker punch' is hitting some guy before the fight begins, right?  {or is that a regional phrase}.  Which would be cheating but in the case of the war on germs/illness....go ahead and hit 'em hard.  Knock them out of your body. 

MtRider   :huh:

• Like 2

Oh, were you talking about the amount of Prednisone I am taking at one time? Six pills all at once? I thought you were responding to the other ladies talking about the medical situation we are in now and rationing the pills. Not me specifically. Never mind. I get it now. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1