MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello

CLee

I'm new here and fairly new to canning. We're semi-empty nesters. :whistling: Had both kids out and our daughter is coming to stay with us for a while here soon. It's all good though. We're retired Navy, she married into the Navy, her husband is deploying and she's pregnant with their first. When he comes home from deployment it's pretty much home and leave to a new duty station, so she's coming to stay with us while he is gone and will have the baby here. :grinning-smiley-044: Yes, our first grandchild. Our son lives locally and will be getting married this coming spring.

We joined a local CSA this past summer and did a little canning and hope to do much more this winter and in the coming seasons. As a kid my summers were spent going to my grandparents' to help hull beans & peas, shuck corn, etc; then we would can and freeze everything. Back then it was all a game and I didn't pay too much attention to the "hows" of it all of course. Now much later in life I'm wishing I had paid more attention. LOL This forum seems to be a wealth of information and I'm kind of on overload.

We're interested to try canning venison since I had never heard of canning meats. Hubby bow hunts and we have one in the freezer already this season. Next one he gets we plan to give canning a try with some of it. Our daughter will love it if that works out so we could send her some venison. We get over run with mint each year so I plan to give mint jelly a try next year. Hoping to put away some apples, creamed corn and so much more.

My husband lovingly calls me the food nazi. I'm just tired of not knowing where foods come from, what's in it, whether or not it's GMO, etc. I have enough problems with them sneaking seafood/fish into things as it is. (carry Epi-Pens for anaphylaxis, I'm highly allergic to all seafood) Just found out the other day there are certain microwave popcorns that have fish oil in them!

So, we don't eat out as much as most folks because we have to be confident there will be no cross contamination in the kitchen if they also serve seafood at the restaurant. Makes for a very creative chef of a husband. :feedme: Try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible, but there's always those guilty pleasures. LOL Just can't seem to completely give up my Oreos after all.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can here!

CLee

OH well, oreo's huh? My big snitch routine would be chocolate based as well, lol.

I am a veteran too, navy parachute rigger was my job for ten yrs, some MAA duties tossed in that I didn't care for at the time. My son carried on in the marines and his half brothers by his dad are marine and coast guard, his wife is serving still but luckily has duty as a recruiter now in her home state. They are in TX now and settling in, its home for them. :)

There are lots of folks here with military members :) in their families.

I do can meat up as it saves space in freezer, is shelf stable and its alot quicker to open a jar of meat that is also super tender with the canning when I do want some meat in a meal, dish to heat up or mix in with things for a meal. Its great for venison , many families here definitely hunt and I hear them pulling the jars out and canner when the hunter comes back triumphantly.

Its really easy to can meat too. Basically if you can now you know the basics , just eliminate as much fat off the meat as possible when you prep it. I found out things like chicken looks better if its precooked, like simmered first in a pan of hot water. I also soak alot of beans and can them from dried beans then they are ready to use for a meal too when its needed. Really been handy that way for me. I just tend to cube it up and simmer it the reccommended time and then can it. Its really easy and not nearly as involved as jellies and things like that so it can be done pretty rapidly.

I know some folks here do can up sausage and such but you can find both the certified USDA guideline type canning information and what we like to call guerilla style I guess which is not quite regs but some folks will do things that way for themselves . over a dozen years of experience here. Many different subjects in all the forums.

It is up to the individual what they choose although its always reccommended to do things absolutely safe first. Canning meat like venison is going to be just fine.

If you have a specific question just post it in a new thread in a forum and usually it doesn't take long before someone or several folks will tell you what you need, find information on the subject online if need be or reccommend something that will probably be very helpful.

Some of these folks have a fantastic salsa recipe they absolutely love to make for canning too if you would be interested. Maybe someone else can find that one. if you like salsa so many here have sworn by it I think you may like to have some handy.

I just have myself to feed but I can can up about two months worth of beef and chicken and beans pretty fast if I get to it when I want to. It really has been helpful to me to do that as my refrigerator and the freezer in it is really small anyhow. I also use a dehydrator and found that I can store much more food dried than in any other way and its pretty lightweight and safe to move easily if need be.

I hope you enjoy yourself with Mrs Survival. There are many various situations here and I know it's really helped so many of us be able to take care of ourselves and learn many things we might not have learned as youngsters, and its a real comfort to be able to fix things up the way we know will help us as we need it. Sounds like your hubby is a fine cook too. My dad is a good cook and I still don't think I have met anyone else who can beat his spaghetti sauce that was a staple in our house growing up. Too bad he did not can it up and sell it. He would have been set for life. It beats even the fanciest sauce sold today, I can guarantee you. ;)

this place is a treasure trove of great recipes for meals, many folks have food allergies and it would be great to understand how widespread fish is in things. There may be others allergic to all fish or shellfish.

Definitely any education on additives and other questionable things and GMO type food is a plus. I am pretty sure it hasn't helped my own health eating so much of that and I hope one day to do a small acreage place of my own just so I can know whats going into basic food I can produce on it.

People here are also knowledgeable about how to store food and things in ways that just are not noticeable so you can maintain privacy on your preps as well. So it will last too.

Its great your daughter could be with you ! Sounds like you will be busy settling in and getting things set up for the baby too.

Take care and don't be shy about posting even a single question. Someone will be able to get you an answer , usually within a pretty short period of time and you can use the shout box too if need be to alert someone to your post if its not answered. There are usually some moderators around or some very skilled person who can help.

arby??? You're on a ROLL, Sweetie!!!! :0327: You're gonna wear out those keys!

:D

Welcome, CLee... as arby has so generously written, you're in the right place. :grouphug:

To can meats and low-acid foods, you need to have a pressure canner. But it's not scary and it's easier than most people think. As long as you follow the directions, you'll do just fine. And we'll help fill in the questions you have.

You can always can your frozen venison, too, if you find you need the room for other stuff. Canned meat doesn't always taste "just like" fresh, but it's SO easy to use and handy for quick meals.

Just ask us if you can't find what you're looking for, and we'll help you find it. You can just post, or you can click on that little envelope under the jewel design under the person's name and send a "PM" - Private Message.

welcomeflowrs.gif

Welcome CLee, sounds as if you'll fit right in here. Make yourself comfy and the caketrolley will do its round shortly.

Archived