MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chest freezer or upright freezer

Hello all

I am planning on purchasing a freezer. Those of you that have them--do you prefer the chest type or upright type?

Any ideal if one is more energy efficient than the other? I worry since it only the hubbs and I, that I might purchase one to big and that uses lots of energy --which would defeat the purpose of me trying to live more frugally. Although I did read an article on the savings experiment you can do freezer blocking to fill up the empty space with boxes to ensure your freezer works more efficiently. Not sure how well that works.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/01/24/savings-experiment-freezers/

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

GG

I have had both and though it may be easier to find something in an

upright , it is not near as efficient as a chest type. You can also

put more in a chest type of the same size.

Should the electricity go off you can pile quilts, rugs, a lot easier

on a chest than an upright. You can also unknowingly leave the door

ajar on an upright wasting electricity and food.

Hmmm...that is something I wouldn't have thought of! Excellent information.

Edited by Gardengabber

These are the reasons I have a chest freezer now. I have had an upright and the chest, for me, is a lot better.

We bought an upright a few years ago. I wish we could have bought a big deep chest freezer. We had to buy an upright due to space issues (small house!). I also have a small chest freezer that's 10+ years old.

Things I don't like about the upright (as compared to a chest freezer):

-you lose more cold air when you open it

-it runs more

-you don't fully use all the space. In a chest freezer, you're piling things on top of each other. It's tough to utilize the space in an upright unless what you're putting in there is easy to stack. If all of our frozen stuff were things like frozen pizzas, it might work out better.

-when the power goes out, the upright thaws quicker than a chest freezer. We lost power for nearly a week and it was a few days before we could find a way to get the freezers running again. I didn't lose anything in the chest. I lost some stuff in the upright--mostly things that were on the door and things that weren't meat (veggies, soup, stock, fruit).

-the "frost free" feature. Maybe someone else can add to this, but I think all uprights are "frost free". Not good for storing veggies and fruits. I also think the meat doesn't keep like it does in the chest freezer due to the "frost free" feature.

edited for grammer

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

We bought an upright a few years ago. I wish we could have bought a big deep chest freezer. We had to buy an upright due to space issues (small house!). I also have a small chest freezer that's 10+ years old.

Things I don't like about the upright (as compared to a chest freezer):

-you lose more cold air when you open it

-it runs more

-you don't fully use all the space. In a chest freezer, you're piling things on top of each other. It's tough to utilize the space in an upright unless what you're putting in there is easy to stack. If all of our frozen stuff was things like frozen pizzas, it might work out better.

-when the power goes out, the upright thaws quicker than a chest freezer. We lost power for nearly a week and it was a few days before we could find a way to get the freezers running again. I didn't lose anything in the chest. I lost some stuff in the upright--mostly things that were on the door and things that weren't meat (veggies, soup, stock, fruit).

-the "frost free" feature. Maybe someone else can add to this, but I think all uprights are "frost free". Not good for storing veggies and fruits. I also think the meat doesn't keep like it does in the chest freezer due to the "frost free" feature.

These are the reasons that I got a chest freezer. The other reason would be that the chest freezer is less likely to leak if a hurricane or poo hits. The one we just bought earlier this year has a drain in the bottom so if it did lose everything, I could take it outside and hose it out.

Thanks Twillight for the tip on the blankets and rugs over the freezer to help insulate it. I'd never heard/thought of that before.

We have a chest freezer and we are hoping to pick up another one this summer. The reasons are pretty much the same as everyone else. My MIL has an upright (made the switch when they remodeled and she lost space for a chest) and you can never find anything in it.

We have had a chest freezer for many years and when it comes time to clean it- I hate it! I cannot reach the bottom and have to throw towels in the bottom to absorb the water and then comes the chore of trying to reach the towels to wring them out and to wipe the sides down.When we move I want to buy an upright.

We bought an upright last year. Although the chest freezer has all of the advantages, I took the test of "bend over and lift the heavy food out of the freezer with a bad back". The upright won hands-down. I've always had a chest freezer in the past.

To organize better, I have a shelf for each major kind of meat ... beef, poultry, pork. I also have a shelf for veggies and the bottom drawer is for prepared foods like zucc bread, cookies, rolls, etc.

The door gets items like butter, grains, yeast, chocolate, etc.

Everything that goes into and out of the freezer is inventoried for easier meal preps. The sheet is taped to the freezer door.

As I've gotten older, I've made changes. The upright has been a good investment for me. :happy0203:

While a chest freezer is more efficient (as others have stated), my issue with them has to do with my height. I'm 5"2' tall and when cleaning it, I practically fall inside trying to get to stuff at the bottom. I have found a few wire coated baskets that I can use to help organize a chest freezer, but nothing to keep me from falling into it when trying to clean it or get that last pack of steaks from the bottom! :008Laughing:

All compelling points ladies! I think I am going to go with the chest freezer. 1) cheaper 2) stays cold longer in the event of power failure. 3)The model I am looking at has a defrost drain so that is a plus.

I am concerned about the depth and lack of organized storage. However, I read an article where the person uses those plastic/ canvas totes (used for groceries) to sort items into "compartments" and since she color coded her bags she knew what items were in each bag. She would just pull the bag out sort through it and return to the freezer. Another article a freezer owner used a milk crate to "file" the frozen flat bags of sauces. Both really good ideals. I am getting a small one for now sooooo we will see how it goes. If I hate it I can always buy an upright.

I have to agree with Twilight the uprights are easier on the back and they don't tend to get stuff piled on them but the chest freezer is more efficient.

We have had both and I want a chest freezer again. I have come to the conclusion that a chest freezer is easier to keep if you ever loose power. When I we move hubby said I can buy a new freezer since this one is just about on it last leg and I will be guying a chest freezer again.

My mother has a huge chest freezer and since she doesn't freeze as much any more she stores bottles of water in the bottom in crates then stacks another crate on top and sorts her meats and veggies in the crates. This is her emergency water supply as well as it helps keep her freezer full so that she doesn't have to defrost it as often.

Edited by mommato3boys

Hi Gardengabber

--Definitely store ice rather than just boxes to fill the dead space in any freezer.

--*Caution* Definitely can help insulate a freezer with quilts, etc during power outages. We did that when we had to leave our home for a fire EVAC. HOWEVER -- NEVER COVER THE BACK WHERE THE MOTOR IS. :o In our case, the power was still on when we left the house. Or, the power could turn back on when you are not attending the freezer. Either unplug it or DON'T put anything that could tangle or overheat the motor. :wacko:

--Personally I HATE*HATE*HATE my freezer section of my fridge. A whole upright freezer might be a different story. But I can't keep anything from sliding out the door. I sometimes have to duct tape the door shut. I think the house is leaning towards the freezer door. Everything is packaged in slippery plastic bags now. :banghead: It takes me forever to unload and try to load all that frosted, freeeezing cold stuff again and again until I acheive BALANCE. :motz_6:

I think I'd love a bottom drawer freezer on a fridge.

--I also have a small chest freezer. I use some wire baskets to help categorize in both freezers. I also use some plastic grocery bags to contain some meat broth, or other smaller items. Just don't use things that would stop the cold air flow for good freezing. I wouldn't use cardboard boxes. I'd use things with holes like the aforementioned milk crates. I love Mommato3's mom's idea of layering ice in crates and categorizethe next layer. :thumbs:

--I really love my small chest freezer but yes, even though it's not very tall or big, I get some things lost in the depths occasionally. I've gotten on a small stool to reach the very bottom. :lol: I'm 5'2" also, Dogmom. With this small one, I don't quite have to do a headstand. If I have a sore back tho....that would be an owie!

MtRider [...my two cents and a caution :happy0203: ]

edited to make another attempt at English :wacko:

Edited by Mt_Rider

The best freezer I ever owned was a huge chest type from Sears. It had 2 rows of sliding baskets and I put milk crates across the bottom. It was so easy to sort everything in baskets! I had a soft absorbent cotton mop that I used just for reaching the bottom when defrosting. I kept that one for twenty-something ? years. Then we bought a mobile home (less space) and went with an upright. :shakinghead: NOT happy! It's great if you have all square boxes or stuff that stacks well. If not, it's kinda hard to stack whole chickens, turkey or anything odd shaped, and always have something from the 'pile' falling out and landing on your foot. :motz_6: I hope to one day have enough room for another chest freezer! (I do agree about the back strain though)

I was running by and tripped as I was looking at the subject line... so while here I will throw in my quarters worth (inflation you know)

by the largest chest you can with obvious limitations with space and money.

I am 4'11" and have not problems with mine! silly ladies.. climb in! sheesh! when you need to clean it out.. just climb in! it is so simple....or.. oh dear husband!!!!

with the issue of it being so deep and I do use a step stool.. I have cooking oil lining the bottom of my freezers.. yes I have more then 1. The oil keeps about 20 years according to the LDS sites and it raises my food up so I can reach it. Simple enough.

I do have Arizona Ice Tea (the diet one) in 1 gallon containers filled with water. It is pretty simple take something out in goes a water container. Put something in out goes the water container. I don't drink soda and if I needed the bottled water I would use them. Maybe I should get some? anyway... if the power goes out the water containers keep everything frozen. If I loose water I have drinkable water.

My freezers are 20 years old but are still pretty cheap to operate.

when the lid is closed... makes one nice cutting table for my patterns!

I have an upright freezer... gonna throw it away or use it for a root cellar... or smoker but not for freezing.

buy a generator... when power goes out, fire up the generator and run it about 2 hours with a freezer plugged in. The freezer is frozen about 2 days before you need to fire up the generator again.

ok... caught my breath and ready to finish my run.

Hi Gardengabber

--Personally I HATE*HATE*HATE my freezer section of my fridge. A whole upright freezer might be a different story. But I can't keep anything from sliding out the door. I sometimes have to duct tape the door shut. I think the house is leaning towards the freezer door. Everything is packaged in slippery plastic bags now. :banghead: It takes me forever to unload and try to load all that frosted, freeeezing cold stuff again and again until I acheive BALANCE. :motz_6:

I think I'd love a bottom drawer freezer on a fridge.

I have a bottom freezer on my fridge. Love it. The door opens but there is a wire basket inside or I would have things falling out everytime I opened the door.

Have you checked to see if your fridge is level? Sometimes, that causes a door to stay open or open wider.

I said I have a large upright freezer... may turn it into a root cellar...

http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Refrigerator_root_cellar_chimney_cap/

could be a smoker too!

right now... I have a thermostat on it... to keep it right above freezing and I cure my meat in it. It is ok, sort of works but the freezer uses so much energy even with a temperature restrictor on it that it may pay for me to buy a new/used newer large refrigerator and just keep it on coldest.

my mom also told me a chest freezer lasts longer. maybe - I have one over 30 yrs old, still going strong, though I did recently buy a new one. discovered the 'new' ones cant go in garage, so im glad the old one still works. new one downstairs, old one into garage at new house. i like to buy turkeys on sale in Nov, have them cut in halves or quarters and freeze them, but they still take up lots of space. I love my big ole freezers, call them my 'food banks'. My parents had 2 uprights, both died on them when the chest kept a-going.

Violet must be busy, otherwise she would have chimed in by now, I'm sure. :icon19:

When I had to buy a freezer a couple of years ago, I did buy an upright - simply because I could not bend and lift at that awkward of an angle required of chest freezers. Also, looking ahead to the day when I might be "out-to-there" pregnant (no, I'm not currently!) I did want something for ease of use. I did get the manual defrost, for it keeps things colder, longer. It also forces me to keep things tidy by going through it seasonally.

I have a Frigidaire upright I bought from Home Everything online. They had FREE SHIPPING to my driveway where my DH and Dad wrestled it into the basement.

True, the door and top shelves are the first to unthaw if a door is left ajar, and your floor DOES need to be absolutely level as with any upright freezer.

Westie is brilliant with the mulit-uses for the flat top of a chest freezer.

Since I purchased my new upright freezer two years ago, my dad has since given me a small chest freezer. It comes in really handy for those sizes of beef and things that are packaged. I would second the idea of using milk crates or wire baskets for organization. You have to stay organized or go insane. :)

Enjoy your new freezer! I was so thrilled when I got mine! :)

:woohoo::bounce: