MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

favorite old fashioned or simple foods

Cooked Great Northern Beans & Hot rolls

Pinto Beans & Cornbread

Chicken Pot Pie (Boiled home made eggnoodles)

Beef Vegetable soup (Everything in the garden goes in)

Pork & Sauerkraut with mashed potatoes

Berry Dumplings (Dough balls cooked on berry pie filling)

Funnel Cakes (Batter, deep fried & sprinkled with 10X)

Meatloaf (Even cold in sandwiches with ketchup)

Homemade donuts (made them on Shroves Tuesday)

Corn on the Cob while canning corn

I love tomato "sank sandwiches", chip beef gravy, grilled cheese (try grilled swiss with tomato on rye), fried spam sandwiches, and potato chip sandwiches (potato chips, mayo and white bread smashed together...cheese if you have it)

For an unexpected crowd my Mother would make home made macaroni and cheese and when it was ready to serve, she would add a can of tomato juice to it.

When ever I was sick, I always wanted that. It is so simple, inexpensive and delicious.

I make a dish that DH loves a LOT and it is really quick, tasty and inexpensive. One thing you must remember though, to get the right taste, you can not substitute any of the ingredients.

Can of spam or same type - different brand

Instant onions

Cooked rice or instant rice

Cook all together with a little water until rice is fully cooked and hopefully there isn't any liquid left.

Add one 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes (Or equivalent of your canned tomatoes.) and serve immediately.

Hill

We called slippery pot pie ham puttpie. It is an Amish dish and we had boiled potato in it also. Tomato ravlins. A quart of home canned tomatoes with small spatzel. (haven't thought about these for about a milllion years.) Amish food is cheap and very very good. My mother would make depression soup. She ate it during the depression. The whole pot would cost a dime and was hard to come up with a dime at times.

.05 worth hamburger

1 or 2 bullion cubes

onion

water

.03 worth of potatoes (probably 2 or 3)

.02 worth of macaroni

Cook ground beef and onion until brown

Add water to the pan to get out all the browned specks

Put in a large pot. Dice potatoes in small pieces. Add to pot and boil until soft. Add macaroni and cook until done. If there is a large amount of people cook longer until macaroni is huge. My comfort food and it does cost much more than a dime now.

Fried cabbage

Cabbage was very cheap and we would eat it a lot. I love cabbage to this day.

Shred cabbage and fry in large skillet until it starts to brown. Make a large amount of bread dough without yeast. Let stand and make a large pizza shapped hunk. Spread thin. Bake in hot oven until brown. It will turn out like a pita. Cut in pieces while hot and put cabbage in center. It will open like a pita.

• 2 months later...

WOW! I'm looking back at posts that I missed this summer when we were moving and found this. Brings back ALOT of memories.

Deanne-what was the thread in Are You Ready that you originally referred to about plain and ordinary foods?

The cornbread and milk brought back memories-we'd reheat the leftover for breakfast in the oven, break into a bowl and pour milk over. Or hot rice-stir in a little butter to melt, sprinkle with sugar and pour milk over and eat like cereal. Popcorn with milk poured over-same way. ).

Boy, I could go on and on and on....

Oh Necie,

I'm so glad you resurrected this! And BTW, has anyone had any of their favorites recently? I had corn chowder the other night and yeast rolls. Talk about hitting the spot.

I think I need to go make some hot ovaltine and toast!

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Weeeeeell, I made beef and noodles for dinner tonight with mashed potatoes. Kids were all suppose to come down to put up and decorate the tree, but only DD and her BF made it, so we only got the tree put up. Will have to decorate later. Anyhow, we have ALOT of left-overs. Also made mini-cheesecakes, which I posted in the cheesecake post, and also made Westie's no-bakes as mini's to compare. They are both really easy recipes. Haven't tried any yet as I'm still STUFFED from dinner. Will have to be mid-night snack. Also finished baking up zucchini bread. Made 8 loaves Fri., took two to funeral dinner Sat., ate one and froze the other 5. Had a little batter left in frige, so put it in muffin pans and had 10 for dinner. Quick bread is also one of my comfort foods. DM made them all the time, I guess cuz ya can take the basic batter and throw about anything in it and it is GOOD!

My Mom use to make this dish called neckbones and noodles. It sounds gross but we liked it. She also made macaroni and eggs a lot. SOmetimes I make it, but I make it with spaghetti. After you boil the spaghetti you pour in some scrambled eggs. Lots of butter and salt and pepper. Serve with toast. Sometimes I throw in some bacon. Mama use to also can pork tenderloin when we would kill hogs. Then she would fry it up and make gravy. The stuff would melt in your mouth. At the end of Summer my Memaw would make veggie soup from everything left in the garden. She added meat. That was the best soup. I grew up on a farm. We grew a big garden, and had cows and hogs. We also had chicken for eggs.

Quote:
We would sometimes have scrambled eggs mixed with cooked rice and lots of cheese...it was comfort food and I still make it occasionally if I'm the only one eating at home.

Yumm! I've done this too!
Stacy
  • 11 months later...

grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup

homemade macaroni and cheese (baked)

boston baked beans

Sunday Soup (clean out the fridge and toss it in the pot!)

Mexican Goulash (browned ground be, onions, corn, diced tomatoes, beans, can of tomato sauce, and cumin/chili pepper - simmered together in one pan) - serve with shredded cheese/sour cream

Warm/ripe tomatoes from the garden on homemade bread Smothered in MAYO and a sprinkle of salt(not miracle whip!) white fluffy bread has never been on mine or my mother's table.

Crisp apples sliced and served with sticks of SHARP cheddar... must be eaten together to get the sensation (oh my it is good!)

Cinnamon toast (buttered and sprinkled with sugar/cinnamon)

pancakes and waffles for dinner or breakfast

So much more... but I will stop

Originally Posted By: Jennysmama
We would sometimes have scrambled eggs mixed with cooked rice and lots of cheese...it was comfort food and I still make it occasionally if I'm the only one eating at home.

my mom would make that without the cheese- just scrambled eggs and rice mixed together. it's very tasty, good protein in the eggs and filling cuz of the rice- apparently that's what my dad pretty much grew up on and cheese would have been an extravagance.
my comfort foods-
hot buttered popcorn (real butter, just a tad of salt)
cocoa (real cocoa, turbinado sugar, vanilla and hot milk)
lasagne (I'm 1/2 Sicilian, what can I say?)
hot apple pie (brown sugar instead of white in the filling)
chocolate fudge goatsmilk icecream

ok. now I'm hungry....

Anytime I'm sick, I just want homemade chicken noodle soup and buttered toast.

Comfort food can also be mashed potatoes, gravy and a cup of tea.

DD---you and I must be related really!! our list is almost the same!!

I wondered if anyone would think of cinnimon toast.That stuff was good.

If we got sick it was soft boiled eggs, toast and gingerale. To this day if I start to feel like a fever or cold coming on I have to have gingerale.

Archived