MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

BLECH!!! Liver.....

....and onions,....and bacon,.....and mushrooms.

Actually, I LOVE liver. But isn't there anything else to do with this stuff? I found this site:

http://www.recipe-for.com/organ-meat/index.htm

which has some good recipes, but mostly the same basics.

I want something different! I have about 10 lbs of really good beef liver that I need to do something with-DM just thought to give it to me last Sun. (Oct. 8) and it was butchered in March. I don't like keeping it over 6 mo., but it's still good and not getting thrown out-so I gotta figure out something to do with it besides fryin' it up with onions, or bacon, or mushrooms....

Any extraordinary, unusual, outside-the-box liver recipes out there?

wouldn't let me check more then one box.

I eat liver.. but then I eat fried cocks comb, chicken feet soup, duck tongue.. liver, heart, gizzard, tongue.. but not kidneys.

I dehydrate liver 20 pounds at a time and make dog training treats.

I serve it two ways...first dipped in seasoned flour and quickly fried and served with fried onions(bacon, peppers & mushrooms) and 1000 Island dressing....second, when partially frozen, cut into strips then dipped in a milk/egg mixture and then in a mixture of seasoned cornmeal & flour, deep fried and served with 1000 Island dressing, ketchup (or cocktail sauce), honey mustard, buffalo wing sauce and/or ranch dressing. The seasoning I use are celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper.

Besides liver, bacon 'n onions, ( which I really like )

here's one of my families "favorite" recipes.

Ladies, it really is quite delish!

Chili Liver

4 slices bacon ( I usually cook a few more slices, 2 per ea. person )

1 lb. sliced beef liver, sliced thin

Crisco Butter Flavor All - Vegetable Shortening, optional

2 tablespoons flour ( or more if needed )

salt & pepper

1-( 10 1/2 oz. ) can Campbell's French Onion Soup

1/4 cup chili sauce or ketchup

In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon until crisp.

Remove bacon and crumble; set aside.

Dust liver with flour; season with salt & pepper.

Brown liver in bacon drippings ( you may need to add some shortening ).

When done frying liver, add soup and chili sauce.

Cover; and cook over low heat 15 minutes, or until tender; stir occasionally.

Uncover; cook to desired consistency.

Garnish with the crumbled bacon.

Serves 4-5.

Note: I don't crumble the bacon,

but rather leave it in strips when cooking,

so everyone gets a slice or 2, to go along with the liver.

I love chicken, beef and pork liver, I've never had other kinds. I seldom eat it anymore because the Dr. told me I shouldn't eat organ meats. When we go to a restaurant that has liver and onions I'll order it but that's only about once a year.

My mother was always amazed that she, Dad and all 3 of we kids loved liver. She didn't know another family where everyone liked it.

Mom would flour it and fry it (preferably in bacon grease), and then, as it was almost finished, she would pour in a tablespoon or two of cider vinegar and put the lid on, and let it steam for a minute in that, turning off the heat. I forget if it was Dad's Amish way or Mom's western PA way...

It can also be ground up and added to ground beef. I've been told that's part of "White Castle's" appeal.

Good thread!

My kids love chicken livers. Made pate many times and had to make triple the recipe. I saute chickenlivers with onion and shallots. Add garlic to taste chopped. Worchestershire sauce to taste and sauteed mushrooms. Eat with broiled grapefruit on the side. Dellish.....

I hav eonly ate fried chicken liver, and I can't say that I care for it to much. The only way that I can eat it is with hunny drizzled on it. It's not to bad like that.

oh but liver is magic!! dehydrate some and give a piece to your dog. Magic, what ever you ask of them they will do for that blechy taste of liver.

I can't stand the smell of liver & onions, to me it stinks. My mother used to fix it sometime, but I wouldn't eat it and the only one's that did were my mother & dad, so she didn't fix it often Thank goodness. My DH won't touch it either, his dad would make him eat liver & onions every night until he learned his mulitpucation (sp?) tables when he was a kid, it was a real incentive to learn them since he hated liver & onions. His Dad was a real peice of work I guess, I never met him.

Archived