MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Homemade pizza sauce

Hmm - isn't there something about husbands who spend the night chatting on the internet while their poor innocent wife sleeps?

smile

I mean, aren't there warnings out "there" about this type of behaviour?

Sue

Originally Posted By: SueC
Hmm - isn't there something about husbands who spend the night chatting on the internet while their poor innocent wife sleeps?

smile

I mean, aren't there warnings out "there" about this type of behaviour?

Sue

ha,ha,ha
but I can't sleep just tuss and turn most nights?. . .
so I am here so SHE can sleep. smile
anyway it is a bit to cold to walk the streets tonight so here I am
Lori came down a bit ago to see how I was doing and checked out a few posts but went back to bed with the cats.

Most nights I get a 2 or 3 hour sleep then up most of the night and back to bed at 4 am ish for another nap then up before 5:30 - 6 am?

AmishMichael2.jpg

Amishway Homesteaders Homemade Pizza Sauce:

Cook together: 5 gallon tomatoes

3 onions

2 peppers

handful of parsley

Cook together. To 3 gallons of juice add:

1 ½ cup sugar ½ T crushed red pepper

¼ cup salt 1 T chili powder

1 T paprika 1 T garlic powder

2 T oregano

Thicken with 2 cups clear jel (or less). Boil well;

Cold pack 5-10 minutes.

>>>>this was<<<<

>>posted by lori<<

I saw this post/thread before I had to go to eat. But, thought you just wanted a recipe for using right away.

Here is my recipe.

Pizza Sauce

2 (8oz.) cans tomato sauce

1 (6oz.} can tomato paste

1/2 can water

1 1/8 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. parsley flakes

Mix all together and cook on top of stove for about 45 minutes stirring often. If using the micro wave, cook for 7 minutes then stir, and cook for another 7 minutes.

Put on your crust and add any topping you like. smile Enjoy. smile

Pizza Crust

1 pkg. dry yeast

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cup warm water

2 Tbs. vegetable oil

4 - 5 cups flour

Mix yeast, salt, warm water, oil and flour together. Let rise until double in size. Put on greased pizza pans. Makes up to 4 crusts.

The recipe for the sauce is not safe for canning. It will put ou at a risk for botulism. NO tomato products are safe to thicken before canning, not even with Clear Jel. Here is a link to safely canning tomatoes and their note on not thickening before canning.

http://www.wisc.edu/foodsafety/assets/pdf_...omatoes_pdf.pdf

Also, that is a low acid product and must be pressure canned. If you have low acid vegetables added to tomatoes, needs to be pressure canned, since it turns the whold product low acid. Unless it would have enough added bottled lemon juice or vinegar added, such in a safe boiling water bath recipe for salsa or a tomato sauce.

When you thicken foods before canning it slows down the heat penetration, plus it lowers the acidity. The Clear Jel is only safe to use in canned fruit pie fillings and in making jams. The pie filling recipes also say to be sure to use the full amount of bottled lemon juice called for. You could safely freeze the sauce with the Clear Jel, though, or use as a fresh sauce, but not can it.

I know this to be safe for canning and is a good pizza sauce :

Chunky Basil Pasta Sauce

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

8 cups (2 L) coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes -- (about 9-12 tomatoes or 4 lb/2 kg)

1 cup chopped onion -- (250 mL)

3 cloves garlic -- minced

2/3 cup red wine -- (150 mL)

1/3 cup red wine vinegar (5 % strength) -- (75 mL)

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (125 mL)

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley -- (15 mL)

1 teaspoon pickling salt -- (5 mL)

1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar -- (2 mL)

1 6-oz/156 mL) can tomato paste

Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, wine, vinegar, basil, parsley, salt, sugar and tomato paste in a very large non-reactive pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until mixture reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently.

Remove hot jars from canner and ladle sauce into jars to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of rim (head space). Process 35 minutes for pin (500 mL) jars and 40 minutes for quart (1 L) jars in a BWB.

Yield:

"8 cups"

Note: This sauce also makes an excellent base for a quick pizza

Archived