2 tablespoons instant flour

1 cup milk

1 egg

2 tablespoons soft butter

Garnish

chopped fresh dill

sour cream

salt and pepper

1. In a large saucepan or soup pot with cover, combine stock, pickles, pickle liquid & potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook covered, over low heat, til potatoes start to get soft (about 10 minutes).

2. Combine flour and milk, add to broth, bring to a boil and remove from heat.

3. Combine egg and butter and stir into broth.

4. Return pot to the stove and heat through without boiling. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with sour cream and or dill.

darlenedance

I remember my Gram trying to make something she called sour grass soup (Shev) and she kept trying to find something that looked like clovers, but always said the ones in our lawn were the wrong kind.

This might be a take off from sourgrass soup. I finally found the kind of clover that was used in that soup, but unfortunately I was a kid and never got the recipe from her.

Amber

What kind of grass is sourgrass? I've never heard of it.

Sour Grass is actually Oxalis acetosella. Also known as wood sorrel or cookoo bread.

as a child it grew under the old drippy faucet. Having pretty pink flower but I am aware it also has yellow and white flowers. Long stems, 3 leaf clover type leaf sits on top some stems while others have the flower.

Very sour, and a treat for children to chew on.

Oh, I thought that might be it, but I never thought of it as a grass...

sourgrass.JPG

This is the kind of sour grass you all are talking about.

sorrel.JPG

This is the kind of sour grass that I've munched on since I was a kid.

Now I gotta figure out how to make soup out of it, cuz I have TONS of it growing along the barn out back. grin

Hmmmm, never thought that it really tasted *sour*... shrug We nibbled on the first one, that looks like small clover.

Here's a start, Necie...

Sorrel Soup

SUBMITTED BY: B. Foulds

"Rich, strong flavored. We call this "weed soup" as sorrel grew like weeds. Adjust quantities of sorrel, stock, cream (or evaporated milk) to taste."

6 servings

PREP TIME 10 Min

COOK TIME 10 Min

READY IN 20 Min

INGREDIENTS

3 cups vegetable broth

2 tablespoons uncooked white rice

1 bunch sorrel, stemmed and rinsed

1/2 cup heavy cream

salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

In a large saucepan bring vegetable broth to a boil over medium heat. Stir in rice and continue to boil for about 8 minutes. Stir in sorrel and return to a boil. Remove from heat and puree in batches in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender.

Return to medium-low heat and stir in cream, salt and pepper. Heat through and serve.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sorrel-Soup/Detail.aspx

bighug

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...2005-18,TSHA:en

Sheep's Sorrel

Scientific Name: Rumex acetosella

Other names: Field Sorrel, Cuckoo’s Sorrel, Red Sorrel, Sour Dock, Sour Grass, Sour Weed

Family: Polygonaceae

This is a perennial with creeping roots. It grows as a clump of arrow-shaped leaves with outward-facing lobes at the base. These distinguish it from Common Sorrel (Rumex acetosa) which has downward-facing lobes (see picture). In May and June a flowering stem up to 60 cm high produces tiny green flowers which turn to red-orange (female flowers) or orange-yellow (male flowers) borne on separate plants; these are wind-pollinated.

Sorrel has long had medicinal and culinary uses, the oxalic acid content gives the leaves a mildly sour flavour and they can be added to salads or cooked like spinach. It is grown as a cut-and-come-again crop, providing greens from spring to autumn; the flowering stems are removed to put the energy into leaf production. If the leaves of Common Sorrel are boiled to a pulp it can be used as a stewed rhubarb substitute to serve with crème fraîche, yoghurt or ice cream. French Sorrel (Rumex scutatus) has smaller triangular leaves with a more concentrated flavour. Medicinally it is used as a spring tonic, and has astringent properties that cleanse the blood.

Common Sorrel is not usually a problem weed and is easily removed - the roots are fairly shallow and it remains as a single clump. However, Sheep's Sorrel forms a loose mat of roots which spread over a large area if allowed. Hand weeding is easy for a small infestation, but all of the fine, yellowish, rubbery roots need to be traced and removed. Any roots remaining will soon regrow.

The regrowth is best treated with a systemic or translocated weedkiller such as Glyphosate to ensure more rapid eradication. In the lawn it is killed by selective weedkillers - MCPA or 2,4-D - applied in late spring.

Nicholas Culpepper

(17th century astrologer-physician)

"Of great use against the scurvy if eaten in spring as salad."

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...2005-18,TSHA:en

Oxalis europaea - Yellow Wood Sorrel - Oxalis

I'm sure i have some anecdotal information about this shot, but I'm at a loss at the moment.

DESCRIPTION:

A small (6 - 15") plant with clover-like leaves branching from a main stem. Usually one to several small yellow flowers only 1/2" across with 5 petals. The leaves are more heart-shaped than clover and fold up along the main vein when the sun goes down and open back up in the morning.

FLOWERS:

May to July

HABITAT:

Dry soil, roadsides, fields and waste places.

OTHER INFORMATION:

Probably the 2nd plant that children learn, because the sourgrass is very tasty. However, because of a large amount of oxalic acid, it should not be consumed in any quantity. Taste additions to salads are perfect.

5 petals and 10 stamens with the pistil erect. An unfurled flower is right behind this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wesbrook might like this one better:

Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Curried Prawns

From EclecticCooking.Com

http://www.eclecticcooking.com/souprecipes.htm

Jerusalem artichokes have a mild ginger

flavor which gives this soup a creamy, rich flavor.

Great as a starter or good lunch

with Naan bread and your favorite salad.

Jerusalem Artichoke Soup with Curried Prawns

(Serves 4)

1/2 lb scrubbed or peeled Jerusalem artichokes*

1 Tbsp butter plus 1 tsp olive oil

1 leek

1 medium baking potato*

3-4 sprigs or thyme

2 rashers bacon or Parma ham

2 Cups (4 dl) chicken stock

1-¼ Cups (2-½ dl) regular milk

1 Cup (2 dl) light cream (13 percent cream)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Extra butter and a little curry

Freshly chopped chives for garnish.

Scrub or peel the Jerusalem artichokes and cut them into quarters.

Peel the baking potatoes and cut into small cubes.

Wash the leek and cut julienne. Chop the bacon or Parma ham.

In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and olive oil

and sauté the artichokes for a couple of minutes.

Add the leek, potatoes, thyme and bacon or Parma ham

and sauté for a further 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken

stock and milk, cover, reduce heat and simmer

for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are

very soft. Let the soup cool a little, then put through a blender

or food processor, and pour back into the saucepan;

add the cream and stir through.

Season with salt and pepper.

In s heavy skillet, heat the butter and curry powder

and sauté the prawns until they turn opaque.

Heat the soup and serve, garnished with the

curried prawns and a little freshly chopped chives.

*If you want a very thick soup,

use 1 lb Jerusalem artichokes and

2 medium baking potatoes.

Enjoy -- Amber

A whole Easter feast with sorrel. grin

SORREL PIE

1/2 c. butter

2 c. brown sugar

1 tbsp. flour

5 eggs, well-beaten

1 handful sorrel leaves

Cream butter and brown sugar; add remaining ingredients. Mix well and pour into 2 unbaked pastry shells. Bake in medium oven (about 325 degrees) for 30 minutes or until golden brown and set.

Either sheep sorrel or woodsorrel (oxalis) leaves may be used for this delicious pie, or use wild oxalis seed pods.

SORREL-STUFFED LAMB

4-6 cloves garlic

1 (4 lb.) leg of lamb, boned

1 lg. bunch fresh sorrel

2 tbsp. sweet butter

1/4 c. dry vermouth

1 c. rich chicken stock

Watercress for garnish

Salt and pepper

Put the whole unpeeled garlic cloves in a saucepan with cold water to cover well. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until soft. Drain and set aside.

Wash the sorrel and discard the stems and ribs. Dry leaves, stack on a cutting board and slice across at 1/8 inch intervals to make thin ribbons. Melt butter in a saucepan and add sorrel. Keep heat low and stir it around the pan with a wooden spoon just until all of it has softened and turned darker in color.

Spread lamb open so the meat cut from the bone is exposed and facing up. Squeeze the garlic from its peel and spread it all over the surface, using a wooden spoon or spatula. Then spread the sorrel over that with the same utensil. Roll the roast back up and tie it securely in all directions so the "stuffing" remaining inside during cooking.

Put it on a rack in an open pan and pour the vermouth over it. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place in a preheated 325 degree oven and roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until done to your liking. (We take it out at 140 degrees, but we like our lamb quite pink.) Remove the roast to a heated platter when done. Add chicken stock to the roasting pan and cook over moderately high heat with any brown bits in the pan. Cook down a bit until a thin glaze consistency. Remove strings from roast and slice meat across. Garnish with lots of fresh watercress and serve the glaze on the slices.

SORREL LIQUEUR

1 lb. sorrel

2 lb. sugar

4 grains clove

1 or 2 sticks cinnamon

3 pt. water

Wash and clean sorrel removing seeds. Place ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil for about 1/2 hour. Add 3 to 4 oz. rum. Serve with crushed ice.

SPRING GREENS

A fine pot of cooked greens can result from a trip to a field or vacant lot. A mixture of mild and tangy greens is nice. The spring of the year is the beast time to find a variety of tender and tasty pot herbs. Our favorites include:

MILD:

Pokeweed (parboil)

Chickweed

Violet

Lambsquarter

Dock

TANGY:

Sorrel

Wintercress, creecy greens

Dandelion and plantain are delicious if gathered in winter or very early spring. These two greens become bitter during warm weather.

SZCZAWOWY BARSZCZ

1 1/2 qts. water 1 onion, optional Bay leaves Salt to taste 1 or 2 tbsp. flour 1 pt. sweet cream

Chop sorrel after through washing and draining. Bring to boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. Then drain and put aside (if using onion, cook with fresh sorrel).

While slightly salted water is boiling, make a paste of 1 or 2 tablespoons flour and 1 cup water so it is smooth (no lumps). Gradually add this to the continuously boiling water. Add sorrel and bay leaves (if used). Bring to a boil again for about 2 minutes. Let cool before adding sweet cream (will curdle if added when hot). Reheat before serving.

NOTE: Another option is to use "home canned" sorrel in pint jars (approximately 3/4 quart slightly salted water to 1 or 1 1/2 pints of sorrel - using jars from the canned sorrel as a measure).

Make paste of flour and water (1 or 2 tablespoons flour to 1 cup water). Mix until smooth (no lumps). When water boils, put in flour mixture gradually and let it boil again. Then put in sorrel. (Optional - season to taste with bay leaves; taste first). Boil for 1 or 2 minutes. Let it cool, then add 1 pint sweet cream (will curdle if cream is added while hot). Reheat before serving.

SORREL (SOUR GRASS) SOUP

1 1/2 c. Sorrel leaves

2 tbsp. butter

6 c. water or bouillon

2 tbsp. quick cooking oats (to thicken)

Salt, if desired

6 slices bread, toasted

www.cooks.com Type 'sorrel' into "Recipe Search" box.

>Jerusalem artichokes have a mild ginger flavor<

they taste more woodsy or similar to a hicama to me.

I have lots of JA's growing in my garden. If Rita planted what I sent her, leaves it in the ground for 2 years... she will have more JA's then she can eat! this is a good thing!

Treat JA's like potatoes

Lori... ya may need to take M's temperature! Pickle Soup? and when you married him, did you know he had these kwirky tastebuds?

Archived