MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what cast iron pieces

I've started collecting cast iron recently to pass down to my kids, I have a #10 Wagnor that is 100+ years old, that came from my Dad's house after he died and I just love it, its 10 3/4" wide, 2" deep. I've been going to alot of auctions and have found some really good iron, and some not so good, never buy anything that has Tiawan on it. One of the best things about good cast iron is that it will increase in value, is practically indistructable, and if taken care of last forever. Here is a website if anyone is interested that has a lot of information about cast iron. www.flashnthepan.com

I would say, in order of most used....

-12" skillet

-griddle

-bean pot

-chicken fryer

-large square "skillet" (I don't know what the proper name is for it....it's comparable in size to the 12" skillet, but is square).

I hve others that I use, but not nearly as often as these. My 12" skillet and griddle I use daily, and many times more than once in a day!

grin

Shawna

10 inch skillet

12 inch skillet

12 inch dutch oven love to do roast in it makes some of the best gravey.

corn muffin pan-2 of them

6 inch skillet

12 inch griddle

Love this stuff some is my grandmothers and the rest was from my mother.

I do look for it at yard sale's and estate sale's get it for my children. They are now requesting it.

Right now I just have a dutch oven and I don't use it much. I have had and should have a griddle too, but, I don't use it much either.

IMSORRYINPURPLE.gif , I just don't use them much at all.

my dutch ovens and my frying pans.

when the kids were home I used the largest ones... 1 pan for bacon, one pan for hash browns. The same with the dutch ovens.. I would have to use the biggest one I had.. now that the boys are gone, I use the medium sized ones... still have a growing princess at home.

A Wagner #10, with a mismatched lid. I wish I had a nickel for every meal. Let's see...40 years..times 3 a day. Nope..still wouldn't part with it. Found it in a burned out miners cabin when I was 9, on the Salmon River. So it has some age to it. It has been with our marriage for 40 years, and then I had a couple of years learning to use it.

we use cast daily have a egg pan that is about 6" that i fix breakfast in most mornings then frying pans and dutch ovens more then i care to count as we have combined mine ,my moms and grandparents into one collection of cast it took 4 trips in the mini van and pick up to move it all 3 yrs ago and i have added to it since then

I have my Granpas "egg pan" a little 6" cast iron skillet with a lid. He only used it to fry eggs- in butter- and so do I. It is way over 60 years old and never sticks.

We use Glenns "family pan" all the time. It travelled across the Oregon Trail, moved to Canada, then settled in a logging camp in Oregon where my MIL was born in 1910. When she left home, she took the skillet with her.

My favorite is a deep sided 10" cast iron skillet. Smooth as glass on the inside. Love it for gravy.

I have 2 more 10-12" skillets, a 12" ridged skillet, 2 8" skillets, another 6" with no lid, a scone pan, 2 cornstick pans and a couple of "fancy" flower design pans for cornbread.

Love them ALL!!

Archived