MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Diabetes and BOB

Aint2nuts

I am diabetic, type 2. I am also disabled and on SSI. which means I can't afford to buy my medications ahead of time. Times like right now, when I have less than a week of meds are really panic times for me, because I know if something were to happen I would be SOL.

I also have sleep apnea, asthma, arthritis. All treated with various things that either require electricity (sleep apnea -- can't even sleep any more without the sleep apnea mask) or medications.

Are there options for someone like me who needs electricity and medications to survive or are we just sol when it comes to bugging out?

IF your CPAP will run on a 12v inverter you could run it in your car. Just be sure to ventilate the area properly if you leave the engine running. You don't want to die of CO poisoning by accident! Depending on the current draw from it, you might get away with a few hrs on car battery alone...

Also ask your doc for an extra 30day supply of your most critical meds. Tell them the truth--that you are scared of a situation where you ran out and were unable to resupply quickly--pandemic, civil disruption or whatever.

You might consider one of the nice battery packs out there. Most of them can be charged or used by either AC or DC and will run a long time. They already have 110 plugs built into them. Shop around as there are a lot of high priced ones out there that are no better than the economical ones. Ours (don't kow the brand as it's in the camper but it came from Farm and Fleet)will run a 6" electric fan about five hours or a 12 volt one for seven on a full charge. You can also get small roll up solar chargers to use with them.

I agree with Vic, talk to your doctor about your meds but I can understand if you can't afford to stock up on them. Check with the company that makes your meds and see if they have a program for free or reduced cost meds. Your doctor may be able to tell you also. Be honest with them all and tell them you are worried about running out in case of an emergency.

You are in a tough place but you are definitely heading in the right direction by thinking ahead. Good luck.

((( )))

What is the program [pescription something] that has Montel Williams as a spokesperson? [PPE]

They partner with you,& the drug companies to provide prescriptions, at low, or no, cost.

I have seen the TV ads, but not paid attention. anyone know?

Hi there. Have a family member who's a transplant recipient so I hear you loud and clear about these issues. Try this site:

http://www.needymeds.com/

I think I've seen it on TV.

Be prepared to FIGHT YOUR INSURANCE CARRIER to pay for an advance supply. Most doctors would be happy to give you a script but the (insert profanity here) insurance companies may not pay for it. Maybe needy meds could help.

Or, you could always show up in an emergency room somewhere during an evacuation and they'd have to help you. In TEOTWAWKI, yeah you'd have a BIG problem; as would my family member. There aren't herbal substitutes for antirejection meds after all, nor for diabetic meds.

Abigail

And if your doc is stingy with the samples, LIE. Call him, fake a panic, and tell him you spilled the meds (the most important set) in the dishwater when you were pouring them out in your hand. You can't afford a replacement script, although you know he'd be happy to give you one, so can I please have some samples to see me through. That will at least get you something.

I do know people who've gotten meds in Mexico. Not that I'm advocating that, I'm sure you've all heard stories, but the people I know never had problems. Especially if you have a legit script, if you know someone is going, ask them to try to find a legit drugstore (IE not in a border town) and get the script filled.

Mo7

Some of our local stores (Like our Walmart) have gone to 4 dollar generic RX's. That might be something to look into!

Hi Angela,

Thought of a couple of other suggestions that may help. My late father had type 2 and I had gestational with my last baby so I know a little about your supply issues.

One thought: your glucose and breathing monitors may have electrical components; I'm thinking EMP. So simply storing them in a simple metal box or mylar pouch may be a good idea. I'm not very knowlegeable about the specifics of this, but I know someone else here is.

The conditions you list can all be improved by a strict diet, reasonable exercise and weight control, as I'm sure you know. Fear is a great motivator to consider this possiblity of improving your health as much as is possible before SHTF.

I finally was motivated to get some dental work done I'd been dreading because of this.

Worth considering, anyway.

Abigail

I agree that there are methods that you can use now to reduce your dependence on the meds and possibly the c-pap. I know that weight is often an issue, but unfortunately sometimes it is just that the lungs need the extra help even if the person is not overweight. I would definately try what you can to get more meds, but understand as I do not manage that with my meds. ( I mostly take over the counter for my arthritis, but sometimes I need my muscle relaxers and stronger pain meds to make it through. I also have to have my blood pressure pills.) I know that my back and knees and my arthritis would be improved if I took off extra weight and got in better shape. I am working on that but the problems with my back and knees interfere with the activity I need to do to strenghten my muscles and take weight off. It is a terrible catch-22.

Check into what you can do to reduce the affects of your medical problems and start working on that. As long as you produce some insulin, diet and activity may help at least reduce your dependence on medication. You didn't say whether it is insulin dependent or non-insulin dependent diabetes. Non-insulin dependent is much easier to deal with through diet and exercise. If you are insulin dependent, you may reduce your need, but mignt not be able to completely get by without insulin. Have an honest talk with your doctor and find out what you can do to reduce your dependence on medications. Make it clear that you want to do what is best for you and are willing to take the meds, but want to reduce how much of them you may need. I am sure that your doctor will work with you on that.

As for paying for meds, some insurance programs will not let you get more than a months supply of meds. If you have bought your meds that month you are not allowed to have them pay for them again that month. That makes it hard to build up extra. For my blood pressure meds, I get them through the walmart $4 program. My doctor also prescribed a higher dose than what she told me, and has me breaking them in half. That way I can get two months supply every month. Is that possible with some of your meds? I would think that insulin you might be able to get more of since it is dependent on your blood sugars at the time. See if you can work with your doctor that way to get more meds.

Yes, exactly; Deb2of9. yeahthat As far as is humanly possible, to reduce the dependence on meds and medical hardware. Any reduction in what's needed will be that much less to prep for; the peace of mind alone is priceless.

Archived